Front Jacks

Has anyone had a problem with their front jacks on their Big Horn? Ours started clicking like the clutch was slipping. Neither a new gear box or a new motor fixed the problem. It doesn't always happen. Usually if we are having to raise the trailer more than 2 inches or so to get level. We have not changed anything weight wise. We did not have a problem for a year and a half. We bought our Big Horn in Sept 2005. It is a 2006 model 3600 RL. :confused:

Forrest Fetherolf

I have a 3600RL. I had a clicking and discovered the nut was missing from the bolt on the shaft that connects the two landing jacks. The bolt was working its way out and hitting the electric motor on each revolution of the shaft. 14 cents for a self locking nut was an easy fix. Another BH had the same problem about the same time as mine. Check the entire landing gear for loose parts.

Uncle Rog

Mine came off also, depending how long it took you to catch it you might check the extension length on the landing gear, mine was off after they installed my inverter / charger and the port side was 2+" longer, had to disconnect and run it to equalize them. I also replaced the clevis pins holding the feet with cotter pins, I lost one on the road and think it gave me a flat......

front jacks

Thanks to all of you who responded. We will definitely check for loose bolts. That would certainly be an easy fix. Will let you know if it works. We will have to wait til this rain stops here in San Antonio, TX.

chardel

Does anyone know just how far the outer front jacks can be adjusted (Inches up) with the electric motor and how much adjustment there is on the inner legs with the snap pins before they would fall out? Also, any rule of thumb of a "not to exceed x inches up" guideline to not get too far up?

dieselengineer

Charter Member
I had the same issue. Replaced the bolt and use some locktite on the bolt threads. Also the electric jacks roll pin in the back also back out. So if you have a clicking on the back jacks check out the roll pin.

mufflerman

I have the same issue with my cyclone, Replaced the motor and replaced the screw the factory put in with a bolt. It still clicks, then we disconnected the right side jack and it lifted great with only one jack. Tells me the jack is bent or ? The clutch in the motor won't operate a bent jack.

lavadg

Our cyclone does the same thing….gets really bad when it’s high up or level. Checked all bolts and everything looks good….I’m assuming the weight is to much for the jack. :confused:

jimtoo

Hi lavadg, You might check to see if the bolt is hitting the motor when it is under load, mine was. Mine started clicking and making noise when under full load of trailer, check the bolts and like Forrest's, Timk, and UR's the bolt was loose and when under full load was hitting motor.

You guys might want to pull the bolt out and check for wear, the bolt in mine on the motor side had aprox 1/4 worn off the middle of the bolt where it passes through the jack coupling. Be sure you support front of 5er (hook on to truck) to remove presure off the jacks to remove bolt.