Kenda Tires

C

Chulinw

I just had my first blow out today with the Denda tires that came on my RL3400. After reading old post I should have change these tires out before now. Now I have to call Kenda waranty to get these tires warranty out and the repair damage done to my RV that the tire did when it blew out. Have to keep reading all the old post to find out problems before they happen. The tires had less then 12k miles on them and always check to make sure that they have the correct tire pressure before and durning my time on the road. Check this AM and had the 80 psi. Three hours later was on the side of the road changing the tire while the rig was being rock by the big rigs going by.:mad: Just keep on learning more and more each day.

C

Chulinw

Got in contact with KendaUSA today and they are going to pro-rate all the tires I have on the RL3400. They are also going to pay for the repairs on the RV. I got in contact with the warranty department at 800 225-4714 ext 231 and talk with Mr. Roger Ansel. He was very co-operative in every manner and he said they want to get the Kenda tires off of the RV's. If you have the Kenda tires give him a call so he can help you before you get damage done to your RV.

phranc

Good post ChulinW, those phone numbers may come in handy
Perhaps there is a way to make your post 'Sticky'...(Jim ? )

--------------------------------------------------
Hi Frank,

Good idea - done!

Hey, it was 80 in Maui today. See you in May.

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:

Dusty

Kenda tires

My Bighorn 3500RL came with those tires on it. At about 14000 miles, I had my first blowout. Fortunately the explosion did on real damage to the trailer. Sure shredded the tire though. On that same trip, I had a large screw puncture another Kenda, when they broke it down to patch it, they found evidence of it separating from the bead. 3 weeks later, I blew another tire on the opposite side of the unit. I didn't even consider that they might be in warrenty,, I just put some Goodyear tires all round on it. It cost a little out of my pocket, but there was no way in **** I was gonna have Kendas on it again, even if they had offered a new set with no proration. uhhhh uhhhh.

Just my 2 cents
Dusty

dennylm

I know this may be a touchy subject, and I'm not pointing fingers at anyone here, but I've also read a LOT about how many trailers are overweight out there. I can't help but wonder how many of the blowouts we read about have weight issues as contributing factors? I'm sure that weight isn't the problem in a lot of cases. I'm too am very concerned about the tires we get by default, with no option for upgrades.

I've read so much about blowouts with these cheap tires (on other forums too) that I'm having Butch in Knoxville swap out the tires for new Goodyears before I even take delivery of the trailer. I've also read about the aluminum rims developing pin-hole leaks and causing problems so I skipped on the rims upgrade and I'm having Butch put new American rims on along with the new tires. This may seem like over-kill, but I'd rather bite the proverbial bullet up front than take a chance on a blowout.

Safe towing to all!! :)

Denny

ChopperBill

Take a 10 ply Chinese tire and compare the side walls to a Michelin XPS rib. After you do that you wont even make a tire swing out of the Chinese Tire!

jpmorgan37

Dusty;
My guess is there is a glitch somewhere in the system. Jim and I have been trying to catch them.
John

Trail America Tires

We have a 3600RL Bighorn with less than 10,000 miles. We keep 100 psi with the load G tires as recommended. We had a blowout where the tire tread just shredded and damaged the wheel well. We are in the process of trying to get it fixed now. We have had problems finding out who makes the Trail America brand tire. Wonder if anyone else has had a problem with these tires.

ct0218

If you do a search in the Bighorn and Landmark Tire forums you will find a lot of info on Trail America tires. Problems, yes, some have had similar blowouts. Others have had good service from them. I haven't noticed a common denominator with the blowouts. The obvious question is---overloaded, or at max load for the tire? Could be just a sorry tire, or poor quality control. Not enough info available to really determine if they are a problem or not as I see it, but I am replacing mine with Goodyear G614RST to avoid the blowout damage.

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
cooksrvinn

Sorry that you had a problem with your Trail America tires. We are running the same on our 5er.

You mentioned that you were running at 100 psi. Last year at the rally, we were told that a towable's tires should be run at the maximum cold psi shown on the sidewall. for TA G-rated tires, this is 110 psi. I wonder if this 10 psi difference could have caused the problem.

Comments anyone???

C

Chulinw

When I had my tire blow out I was traveling by myself and two dogs. I only had 10 changes of cloths some dog food and 1/3 tank of fresh water. The tire came apart and did lots of damage. Like Chopperbill said get hold of a Michelin XPS and the Kenda tires I had on my unit and you will see the difference. I have the XPS on now and will always use them. Extra cost is worth the peace of mind going down the road at 60mph.

fhollan

Chulinw:
You mentioned Michelin XPS. What size do you have on your BH? Before I take a long trip this year, I want to get the Mission's replaced with the Michelin XPS since there are to many horror stories. The price might be higher, but safety first.

ct0218

Unless Michelin, or any other tire manufacturer, has just introduced a new tire, the ONLY tire available in the same size and load range is the Goodyear G614RST. I heard that Greenball was introducing a LR G tire in the correct size, but no one else to my knowledge. Apparently not enough demand for that particular tire.

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
Fireflipper

I reccommend the Goodyear G 614's. I have about twenty thousand miles on mine and still have alot of tread left. Always run the max psi if loaded.

C

Chulinw

fhallon the tire size is 235/85R16. They cost me $215.30 ea and had all five put on and balance. Just visit a tire store and pickup one and you will be surprise just how heavey they are and compare to another tire the same size.

ChopperBill

Chulinw said:
fhallon the tire size is 235/85R16. They cost me $215.30 ea and had all five put on and balance. Just visit a tire store and pickup one and you will be surprise just how heavy they are and compare to another tire the same size.
Yep when I was changing the tire buster asked "why are you doing that when you have good 10 ply tires." Said "I don't trust them" When he got done mounting them he said he now knew what I meant. The side walls on the Michelin's are like a battle ship compared to the Chinese offering.