2011 F Series Truck Recall

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
Ford trucks with electrical or electronics problems. No surprise there. Only surprise is they are fixing it now instead of denying it's a problem.

Bighurt

I find it funny how people pick on Ford when even in the article only 19600 Ford vehicles are being recalled for a outsourced manufactures assembly issue. Yet everyone ignores the 145000 Chrysler vehicles being recalled due to defective materials. Not to take sides but I'd rather have a fire under the hood vs a tie-rod break at 70 mph.

pmmjarrett

I've owned 8 Ford trucks over the last 20 years, 6 of them had numerous and constant wiring, electrical or electronics problems. Some Ford, some Navistar. I earned the right to pick on Ford.

I gave up on GM before I was 20 having been towed home more times than I can count.

My Chrysler, Plymouth and Dodge vehicles have given me 1 minor electrical problem on my Plymouth (a chaffed wire near parking brake pedal that knocked out dash lights at about 150,000 miles). My Dodge tie rod ends lasted 198,000 miles. I think I'll take my chances on the tie rod ends.:angel:

dieselengineer

Charter Member
I believe the Dodge recall was to verify that the original tie rod was not replaced with the incorrect part due to a part ID issues that could have happen if the vehicle was repaired due to collision damage.

I ask the question, what happens if the electronics fails while your driving and the total 400 HP output of that big diesel is out of control. You try turning the key off, but nothing happens. Don't think the brakes are going the stop it!

caissiel

I wish they would have recalled the HD's for the Gold coolant they are putting in the engines.

Opps......... the recalls are only for safety concerns and we are all paying for our 6.0L repairs.

Blown head gaskets only dirty the windshields.

ncrebel8

Wesley and Niki Norwood
I think the original poster was passing along information on the recall to owners who may be affected. Thank you 2psnapod.

As for the playground bickering over which truck is better than the others, They ALL have their problems. I can say that cause I have owned all 3 makes. Wont stop being that way until we as consumers stop buying and defending faulty products.

Elevatorman

My Dodge dealer told me that they had done a lot of recall inspections on the tie rod issue, and mine was only the second one they had to re-build. I was told the issue was with the clamps or U-bolts in the tie rod-drag link areas. The problem was they could "break" or "come loose", causing a loss of steering control. I'm just happy that there wasn't any problem before repairs were done.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Yes I just was trying to get the word out. I just bought a 2010 F350 and was checking to see if mine was included. It was not meant to be a "mine is better than yours" in anyway. As far as I can see all 3 are being used to haul these wonderful Heartland Products all around this beautiful USA and Canada of ours. Yes they all have there problems but they are "MADE IN THE USA"!

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
The Ford versus Dodge versus Chevy versus Toyota etc argument is a no win situation. It is ridiculous discussion because no one will ever win. All of the vehicles do what they are designed to do and all have their issues. The bottom line is buy and drive what works for you and be happy with it. It sure gets tiresome hearing the same discussion with no resolution. I also have owned all three and have had issues with all. Happy motoring and thanks to the OP for the heads up.

2psnapod2

Jim, what kind of gas mileage are you getting with your TV? Its just about the same as the one I just bought. I am getting about 11 MPG driving without out the trailer in the city. Not much more than that on the highway.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I am getting 8.5 towing and 14.5 non-towing that is is I drive it right. If I drive normally I will get 7.5 towing and 12 not towing.

2psnapod2

That's what I was figuring I was going to get. I have to put a hitch in it pretty soon.

porthole

Retired
I believe the Dodge recall was to verify that the original tie rod was not replaced with the incorrect part due to a part ID issues that could have happen if the vehicle was repaired due to collision damage.

I ask the question, what happens if the electronics fails while your driving and the total 400 HP output of that big diesel is out of control. You try turning the key off, but nothing happens. Don't think the brakes are going the stop it!

With any luck the programming that sees a climb in engine RPM along with an increase in brake pressure will still be effective enough to shut down the engine.

dieselengineer

Charter Member
Yes, I hope the programmers of the big three put enough safety code into the programs to shutdown these engines. The fact is, the only way the shutdown a runaway diesel is to remove the fuel and/or air supply to the engine. Remember, the oil in the crankcase is fuel to a diesel. That is why I like to have that third peddle on the floor, I can quickly disengage if need be, but appears that the big three are taking that standard option away also. Well it is a new year, HAPPY NEW YEAR! and keep on trucking

porthole

Retired
Jim - the new Ford has "toyo " programming in it (my term).

If the engine is accelerating and you are standing on the brakes ala toyota problems, the engine will begin to shutdown.

BTW, like your brake controller, the new ford uses a pressure transducer in the brake system to activate the trailer brakes. And below about 20 mph it reduces the current to keep the low speed brake surging to a minimum.

Runaway diesels - ain't that exciting? I saw a 6-71 run away and was amazed watching the instructor run towards an engine that was about to grenade to get it to shut down.

BTW, hitting the air intake shutdown on the 6-71 at speed would just about pull all the seals out of the blower

pmmjarrett

Runaways are nasty. Ever see one bog down under too much load, stall and kick over running backwards with smoke coming out the intake. It's an Oh ---- moment too.

dieselengineer

Charter Member
Duane
You're correct, closing the air intake (emergency shutdown) is a event you will not forget. However throwing a rod is also a wild event.

As for the "toyo" programming, it is only good if the processor is functioning. Not like the old school with a manual fuel shutoff.

Yes, seen a diesel fire in reverse, what a sight to see.

pmmjarrett

The difference in fuel economy between the 6.4 Navistar engine and the new 6.7 Ford engine or a 5.9 Cummins is roughly $2000 a year for someone that drives 20,000 miles a year....... It's $1000 - $1500 a MONTH for someone like me who drives 10,000 - 15,000 miles a month for a living. That's a truck payment and enough left over to put a little food on the table or enough to justify spending $15k on a Cummins conversion to replace the 6.Oh No or 6.4.

Yea I just love the Ford salesmen that try to tell me that you don't buy a truck like this for fuel economy when I expect a diesel pickup to get 20+ mpg highway empty and average 10+ mpg towing.

How did Navistar get this so wrong these last 8 years.

More then once on boats. Use to be not that unusual on the 2 strokers

The detroits were famous for that.