range vent fan motor repaired

caissiel

During our trip down to Florida we encountered many 12 volts system hickups and was able to restore everything. It was all caused due to the furnace killing all the batteries. The furnace did not heat for 2 days, the fridge stopped working and the last thing that failed was the Range fan motor.

The furnace came back by itself to my surprise, the fridge came back but the fan stayed out.

I took the motor out and I discovered the inline fused wire was faulty so I took it out of line and installed an inline 10Amp fuse easily accessible from the vent wire panel by the filter.

I am writing this because someone might end up changing the fan motor instead in the future. I was glad that I was able to fix it in the park and did not have to wait for a new motor.

I also learned that the furnace is very power hungry and will take down your 12volt system very fast. After that we shut it down at night after to RV was heated while on batteries. An other thing that caused the furnace to be hard on batteries is the digital thermostat that I had installed. The furnace started to often and had to run an extra 2 minutes to cool of everytime. I set it on 1 times an hr starts for the duration of the trip and reset it back to 5 times an hr after we were in Camp power.