Camping & Reserving Sites in State Parks

J

Jim_1899

Making reservations and planning ahead is getting more important since so many of the State Parks are filled up in the summer. Tonight we just booked a site for Hawn State Park in Missouri for June 2007. The site we wanted was already taken, but we did get a good site.

It seems that many people are booking a site for every weekend at many of the State Parks. Have others noticed this too? This gets more important with having a bigger rig since there are less sites that you can use. What are some solutions especially if you don't like to be on a schedule.

J

Jim_1899

New Reservation System

The rserveusa site is being replaced as per an email that I just received. This may help that they are combining more land / camp sites into one reservation system. You may want to check out the new site and add it to your favorites.

"The most exciting news is that our current website, www.Reserveusa.com will be replaced with our new site www.Recreation.gov for reservation and recreation information for Federal lands on February 7, 2007."

C

Chulinw

Tks for the information. I use it when I travel out of state a lot. Still had to old recreation.gov as my reservation information.

Toxman

williewood_98@yahoo.com said:
Sort of late since I just joined this group, but you may try reserveamerica.com. I use this site for Florida, but I know other states also use it.
I use it in Mississippi and Louisiana for their State Parks. Very easy to use.

madigand

Yes it seems a lot more people are reserving way out, on the chance they will go. Then seems they cancel and open up some spots closer to the date.

Welcome williewood to the forum

jpmorgan37

You can call the National Recreation Reservation Service at 1-877-444-6777 and make your reservations through them for most Corps of Engineers, U S Forest Service, BLM and National Parks. You can also do it online at www.recreation.gov.

Tom of Ypsi

What happens here in Michigan is that people make their reservations for the maximum amount of time allowed not knowing when they will take vacation. Reservation signup starts at the beginning of the year and people do not know when they really want to take a vacation. When the vacation time is decided on they cancel the week they do not want, $7 cancellation fee, thus opening up sites but you have to be lucky to get one.

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
The parks with lakes fill up the weekends very early. Have found locals are the main ones using up the spots, close to home , not far to travel , get to fish ,etc. Lots of times we go on sundays and stay first parts of the week. KEN

J

Jim_1899

I found the same thing and like you said on the lakes. We were trying to get 3 sites with electric at Stockton Lake, MO. Some of the locals reseve the same site six months in advance for the whole year. We found the same thing at Land Between the Lakes in KY.