would not buy again

kyleigh01

bighorn is my 5th unit in about 8 years and would not buy another one..... very poor construction... within a week of having it had to take it back to have some of the slides resealed, now i have holes in my floor from the wood coming apart, have windows leaking from not being sealed right... and on top of all the am 750 miles from the dealer i bought it from and cant get any of it fixed because no other big horn dealers will fix anything unless it is boughten from them...... this is the way you get treated for spending ***** dollar will be selling right away and going back to a montana

Last edited by a moderator:

jimtoo

Hi travis,

Sorry to hear your having a problem with your Bighorn. I cannot believe the "very poor construction" statement. I can see a slide leaking due to improper leveling or the seal getting inverted or even a bad seal. Holes in the floor because wood is coming apart....post some pictures to support this statement. And a window or even two leaking.. I can understand, but here again, very unusual.

I need to ask, have you contacted Heartland Customer Service??? If not the phone number is 877-262-8032 or 574-262-8030. Heartland does authorize independent repair shops to do warranty work, but authorization must be obtained first. So I would recommend that you talk to a qualified service shop and then call customer service and ask in a nice way for help. You would be surprised what a phone call and nice conversation can do.

Jim M

PS: My son's inlaws spent over $5K on repairs to a Montana less than 1 year old. So don't think they are the best.

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
Travis,

I would suggest that you call Heartland Customer Service at 1-877-262-8032 on Monday. Please have your VIN number handy, calmly tell them about the problems you are having with your Big Horn. Ask them where the closest dealer or RV Service Repair center you can take your Big Horn to get the problems resolved. I am sure that you will find that Heartland is one of the easiest RV manufacture for the customer to contact.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Sorry for your situation and I hope things improve soon. I too would like to know more specifics about your Big Horn. Are you the original owner? Is it new? How many miles? etc. I have found the construction on our Big Country to be quality in and out. Heartland has been awesome to deal with to date. We too live a long way from a Heartland dealer but they approved our local SOB RV dealer for a minor warranty repair.

Best Wishes!

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
bighorn is my 5th unit in about 8 years and would not buy another one..... very poor construction... within a week of having it had to take it back to have some of the slides resealed, now i have holes in my floor from the wood coming apart, have windows leaking from not being sealed right... and on top of all the am 750 miles from the dealer i bought it from and cant get any of it fixed because no other big horn dealers will fix anything unless it is boughten from them...... this is the way you get treated for spending ***** dollar will be selling right away and going back to a montana

I read all these types of posts with great interest. Now, first let me say that I am a believer in "stuff happens" and have never replied to any previous posts of this nature. Why some units have problems and some don't is a product of the "human factor". To err is human..... What puzzles me is the first reaction of some is to rid themselves of this unworthy product. I usually make a habit when these posts arise to "google the described defect". Click here for a result in this case and mind you it is only one link. There are many out there! This is the old "be careful what you wish for" theory.

I would think that a call to Heartland Customer Service will help to resolve your problem. If you allow Heartland involvement you may just get the help you need. When problems arise, as they will, you should exhaust all calm resolution possibilities no matter who's human manufactured your coach.

Last edited:

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I agree 100% with dbylinski. Some folks just plain get a problematic rig no matter what the brand. Most others just have a few issues that are easily resolved and go on with life. I don't follow other forums, I don't have the time. I do follow this forum and I see far more positive statements from folks that realize the reality of owning an RV.
We've owned our rig for over 4 years and have been full time until August 2010. Total time in a shop and non usable, 4 days. Total trips for items to be repaired under warranty. Two. Not a bad track record in my opinion.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
I too believe you need to call Heartland directly. They have an awesome history of making things right. Give them the chance to check this out and see what is going on. It is is in their best interest to see what problems you are having.

Good luck,
Mark

seamo

Bob and Christina Seaman
I think many people do not know they can reach out to the manufacturer. Yet you can and you should. Call Heartland tomorrow for sure and let them make it right for you and they will do their darnest to make it happen for you.

also Fenner might be better on Monday a few days after His Hurricanes took a beating in the
Bowl game .

ps on our 1st Heartland we were far away from service and they gave us a shop that would do our work

caissiel

When we bought the RV we had been promissed the prep to take 1 week. Well after one week I called and they told me an other 2 weeks.

We lived in the trade in trailer so I cleaned and prepped it for trade and I had nothing to live with unless I unpacked everything out. So I send a message to Heartland service and in 2 Hrs I got a call from the dealer that my trailer was now ready.

I never returned to the dealer again and find my unit to have the same workmanship as any unit I would have bought. I find that everything I do to My RV is to satisfy ourselves. Most of the time its to make it our own.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
"also Fenner might be better on Monday a few days after His Hurricanes took a beating in the
Bowl game ."

Oh, the poor guy!!! I hope the rest of his Holiday went well...we need him in a good mood by the Goshen rally....;):cool: We'll just have to make sure he's got a nice cold beer at the end of each day!!!:D

D and J

We have a 2008 Bighorn with frame problems. We Called Heartland and they are giving us the run around. We had a crack in the 5th overhang, talked to Heartland in December and they said it is water damage. We took it to an independent RV facility, they removed the skin from the underside of 5th and the front cap. Found broken screws and bent frame. Again I sent pictures to Heartland and they are telling me that they are not responsible as this is due to 'bouncing'. I pleaded my case and now they are saying that they don't know if they will fix it or not (I said I would bring it to them if they would agree to fix it) but they told me it will take up to several weeks, even months to get the answer from upper management. They know we are stuck in a repair facility with the rig torn apart and cannot leave it like this. If we have it put back together and Heartland refuses to do the repairs we will have to pay another $700.00 to take it apart for the needed repairs. So as of this moment I would never buy another Heartland Product either.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
DandJ...back on September of '09, on two separate threads, you first talk about adding a scooter lift to the back of your '07 (is it an '07 or an '08) 3055. Then later you talk about axle and springs issues causing lots of blowouts, bubbles, etc. on one specific tire...and Heartland not being responsive to your problems...

First, if it's an '07, even in September of '09 your were probably already out of warranty...and as for the scooter lift, if you added that you may have created your own frame issues...the manufacturer voids the warranty for frame add-ons for a reason...THEY CAUSE PROBLEMS!! Especially several hundred pounds bouncing off the back of the frame...towing something is a whole different ballgame.

Second, it is now 2011...I understand your issues and truly sympathize...but how long do you think the manufacturer should be responsible??? Especially if you have made serious frame modifications...JMHO.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Some people just have the darnedest luck. The biggest thing I see about most anything is that it last a good while, as long as you take care of it. They tell you to do thing and not do things because of history. If you dont take care of it, and treat it like it is suppose to be treated then it probably will not last long. I have a 2001 Ford mini van that everyone says looks like new. Only because I have taken care of it, washed it, cleaned it and maintained it. As long as you do those things it will look new and last for a long time. JMHO.

lwmcguir

Frame issues have always been around. Some folks drop their campers and create them. Bad roads sure take a toll as do accidents and tires blowing out. Best thing we can all do is stay withing the Coaches weight limits, minimize the road stress via Pin Boxes, hitches, and good suspension on the TV. Watching how we drive is certainly a factor as is choosing some roads. Certainly there are some issues that cant be prevented but many can. We have to be prepared to pay the price or go on to a different past time.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Looks like the answer to his problems is in the first sentance of his post...." been through 5 units in 8 years"

DougLynne

retired Alberta Chapter Leaders
We've seen this type of post in the past, the only entry by the poster is his first and you never hear from them again. Have they taken any of the advice offered on this forum? Slam the product and leave.../Doug

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
The poster in question has been a member of the forum since September. So, I don't think this is a "hit and run".

Some people that pay big bucks for an item have an expectation that it is 100% when they drive out the door...and when it is not, it drives them nuts. This I understand. What you don't seem to understand is that there maybe more than just this occurrence that's driving them away from the brand. What are they not saying?? And, why.

I understand that you may have had zero problems with your rig..and only had to tighten two screws. Others may have had a little difference experience. On delivery day, My daughter vac'd the floor of the RV swept every where possible...and when the final cleaning was done, still got enough hardware to open a Lowe`s.

I've replaced every pex connector around any faucet in my RV. I've replaced my kitchen faucet. Don't even get me started on the non caulking that was done on the kitchen sink. My shower has a leak behind it because of a cheap plastic mixer. I always have to wear shoes inside my RV..cause you never know where a man eating staple is going to pop up...and with my Agent Orange problems, the last thing I need is an infected cut.

And, over the last few years there have been multiple posts from people with frame problems with Heartlands...need I say more??

I've had hardware failures in both the AC and the furnace...and the Fantastic Fan bit the big one...

What I would like to see is a little sense of understanding and helpfulness here and a little less rush to defend...if Heartland is so good...then it doesn't need your protection.
And can stand on their own merits.

But it kinda depends on who's ox is getting gored don't it?

DMitch

Leftyf- Well said, there should be more understanding for the people who have major problems. Or maybe just let the factory respond.

goodtruck

I do wonder about some of these posts,I have one of Heartlands less expensive units and have had a few things that went wrong with it.When it was under warranty Heartland did all they could to get it repaired ASAP.After the warranty was up Heartland is still helping me with Info and dealer support.So I know first hand if you give them a chance they will do what they can when they can.I would not think twice about buying another Heartland product.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
The OP made 3 posts. This one, one about his floor being spun-gee and one other. Posters told him to contact heartland who knows if he did. But if he did and they did not help him with his 2011 BH then that was not a good thing. But if he did not contact them and just made the nasty post then he deserves what he gets. Dont get me wrong here, I feel for him spending alot of $$$s and it not being what he thought is was suppose to be, and would feel the same way. But I would be reaching out to HL if it was me. Not bad mouthing them on this forum. JMHO.