Spray in bed liner

Chuck Richard

I am picking up a new truck tomorrow and plan to have a spay in bed liner put in. My original thought was to have the hitch rails mounted first and then spray around them to keep a metal to metal contact. I have read the reese hitch instructions and done some on line research and it appears that it is OK to mount the hitch on top of a spray in liner. Since this would give me a complete bed seal I would like to do that but wonder if anyone has has experience with this method either good or bad. I know this is the best place to get real life answers. I have the reese 16K hitch.

2010augusta

I sprayed in bed liners for about 5 years. Most of the beds we prepped had the rails removed or were installing rails later. We only sprayed around the rails a few times. Customers were either not interested in removing and re-installing them or paying us to. Personally I would spray before install.

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
We have a sprayed in liner and took the rails out. We had them spray the rails separately and then put the rails back in when all was done. It worked well for us since we could take the rails out without breaking the seal on the bed.
Kristy

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Why I talked to my pro truck store; the ones that will spray my liner once I get it done, and they said to have the hitch installed first because when they sprayed the bed and then drilled holes the liner would chip. Maybe have the truck prepped for the rails and then have the bed sprayed. I am just going on what they said since I have never had either one. A hitch or a spray in bed liner. But soon I will have both.

2010augusta

They said to have the hitch installed first because when they sprayed the bed and then drilled holes the liner would chip.

If the truck shop says the bed-liner would chip if a hole is drilled through it, RUN, don't walk away from that shop and find one that sprays Line-X, Bullet-Proof, or Arma coat. These coatings are meant to be tough. If theirs will chip from a hole what is going to happen when 2 yards of rock are dumped in the bed and the shoveled out.

Bighurt

I have to agree with Alan on that one... The only thing that should chip is paint or Ford's undercoat.

bighorn3370

Re: Sprasy in bed liner

I have the Rhino spray in liner on my truck. When I bought my first 5th wheel, they just drilled though it. This was done summer of 2003 or 2004, not too sure. I do not have a bed cover, and my truck has never been parked inside. They have been through snow, ice and car washes in the winter. I have a Reese 20k . Ernie

Jellystone

I've had a Rhino Liner sprayed in my last 2 trucks (including current truck) and they have been fantastic. When I bought my current truck, I immediately brought it in and had the bed sprayed. When I had my Reese 16k 5th wheel hitch installed my Heartland dealer said it was just fine to drill thru the Rhino spray to install rails and hitch. No problems at all with it in the last 1 1/2 years.

TXBobcat

Fulltime

I had my B&W and Line-X insalled at the same shop. They Drilled the holes for the B&W hitch a shade larger, then sprayed in the bed liner and then installed the turnoverball part for the Companion 5th wheel. Reason was to reduce the bare metal from rusting. Has worked like a champ. Only thing that has not had a problem.

Spray first but allow room for the hardware.

BC

Chuck Richard

Thanks everyone I will go with the advise and have the bedliner sprayed first. Now if picking up tje truck goes well tomorrow I will be on my way.

JJnLilly

My hitch guy had me bring in the truck BEFORE I had the liner sprayed in. He installed the hitch and then removed it. Once I had the liner sprayed in and it had time to set, took the truck back and he mounted the hitch. He did not charge for the second installation. This allowed the spray stuff to go down in the holes and the rails mouted on top of the liner. Have done it this way with my last two trucks.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I guess I'm the odd guy out. I had my liner sprayed over the rails. I made the decision based on getting a better/truer torque on the bolts going through the bed. I suppose it really may not make a difference. I planned on keeping our truck for a long time so I thought I may as well protect the coating on the rails as well as the bed.

jimtoo

I guess I'm the odd guy out. I had my liner sprayed over the rails. I made the decision based on getting a better/truer torque on the bolts going through the bed. I suppose it really may not make a difference. I planned on keeping our truck for a long time so I thought I may as well protect the coating on the rails as well as the bed.

I did the same as you Ray. No problems so far and it's been 6 years. Just wish I would have had the top of the bed rails coated also instead of leaving the original rail covers on.

Jim M

larryanddonnakeever

Past Oklahoma Chapter Leaders (Founding)
I bought my 2010 Ford F-350 June 2010 they sprated the LineX in before I took delivery. I took delivery on our 2011 Big Horn 3585RL Jan.22,2011, my Hearland dealer installed a Curt Q5 20K hitch. I have not had any problem with the spray liner...

watchthebox

The folks who did my spray in liner didn't do a good job, so if I had to do it over again, I would just keep my new truck stock, and only get a spray in liner if/when the bed got beat up.