Class A/C slides

mesteve

So, not really OT, but didn't fit in any other category I saw.

How are slides in a class A or C different that they can be used while retracted? I am assuming so anyways as it wouldn't make much sense to have a couch you can't use etc.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I've never owned a class A or C but have seen many of them. The slides are not as deep, so they allow passage down the middle aisle when closed. I would think that people seldom ride on the couch because of having no seat belts or restraints in case of an accident.

Bighurt

I would think that people seldom ride on the couch because of having no seat belts or restraints in case of an accident.

And you would be wrong.

That is actually an advertised benefit of the motor coach. Why be buckled into the truck when you can use the kitchen...

hoefler

They actually have seat belts in the sofa and the living room chair. Some have belts in the dinette both as well.

mesteve

But how is the construction different that the weight doesn't damage the slide?

I know I was specifically instructed to not step on the slide floor when it was retracted.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
This sounds like a good question for the factory. Whether you should step on a slide with it closed. I know that in the one that I have now, I have always tried to stay off as much as possible.

Crumgater

Our dealer said it was no problem to step on the slide area with it closed... but I'm not sure I would trust anything a sales guy says...

I'm not sure why there would be a problem though. The slides are built to handle the weight of the couch, dinette, fridge, cabinets, or whatever else may be on them. What's a few more pounds of a person compared to all that?

branson4020

Icantre Member
We frequently have lunch at our dining table with the slide closed or only partially open. I have worked at the desk below the entertainment center with that slide closed. I've never had a problem. What's the issue?

The_Toads

We have the 2010 29RSKA and have used the trailer either way, in or out. We have not noticed any differences other than space. Just remember to pick your feet up.

Dean & Judy Garzot
Olympia, Wa.

mesteve

When retracted, there is a space under the inside edge created when the slide wall butts up against the 5ver wall where the seal is created. The top of the slide makes contact first, then as the slide continues in, the slide wall becomes flush with the exterior wall (and seals good as I haven't had any hint of leaks) and in turn pulls up on the end walls, lifting the ends of the slide floor while the weight of the dinette causes the middle to sit on the linoleum.

I hope this makes sense, it makes perfect sense to me :)

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
This has been discussed before and the factory suggests not putting extreme weight on the large slide, especially in the center area. There is no support for the "inner" portion of the slide while retracted. The slide floor is pretty thick so I would say using the dinette with 2 adults sitting at the table closest to the couch would be a no no.
Motorhome slides vary by manufacturer and by type. Some are somewhat similar to the bedroom slide as they have no exterior mechanicals. Some large slides in motorhomes are supported similar to ours but the frames under motorhomes are much more substantial as are the slide support mechanisms. Most motorhomes have seat belts in the couch.