Battery Box Issue

Just a little FYI for everyone living where it gets below freezing every year. Watch your battery box. The way that the front nose piece is designed it allows water to run right down and into the vent holes on the battery box cover. I didn't realize this until I went to pull my battery and found that it was totally encased in ice. I guess maybe I need some drain holes in the bottom and pull it out earlier next year.

Bighurt

I pull my batteries from winterized equipment and keep them in my heated garage during winter months. I'll through them on a smart charger about 2 wks before I go to use anything.

Thanks for the heads up though.

porthole

Retired
That drain hole - cheap batteries, heavy use and heavy charging, rain water through the front vent all added up to corrosion starting under the trailer around the hole where the drain goes and more importantly on my hydraulic lines for the disc brakes.

The box is now history and there is a sealed marine box in there now.
Still gets wet but now I can pull the whole box out and rinse.

Jimmy

That drain hole - cheap batteries, heavy use and heavy charging, rain water through the front vent all added up to corrosion starting under the trailer around the hole where the drain goes and more importantly on my hydraulic lines for the disc brakes.

The box is now history and there is a sealed marine box in there now.
Still gets wet but now I can pull the whole box out and rinse.

I like that idea, I will doing the same. Thanks!