Suggestions on landing gear motor replacement?

cj11302000

I have a 2009 Sundance 2997BHS fifth wheel and for the most part have been very happy with the unit. When I first bought the unit, the front landing gear jacks failed on me. A pin inside one of the jacks broke and wouldn't work. The landing gear and motor were covered under warranty...but they still give me problems. For about the last year, the motor will slow down and it sounds like it's working really hard. Sometimes it will blow a fuse (not all the way up or all the way down) or it just stops. If I open the door and move the crossbar a little bit with my hand, then hit the switch, the motor will start again. I've talked with Lippert and did all the things they suggested. I tested the motor under load, replaced the switch and put a new deep cycle battery in this weekend. I still had problems. The motor ran slow, stopped several times, and blew a fuse. I'm trying to work with the dealer and Lippert for a replacement Heavy Duty motor...but who knows how that will work out? I consider it to be an ongoing warranty issue and hope they will replace the motor. If they won't cover it, what do you all recommend as far as brand? Do I need to go with what Lippert sells on their site or look at other brands? I want a good quality heavy duty motor. Any thoughts?

noobee

I know this doesn't answer about a heavy duty motor.......

After many problems with both the motor & the gear box on my 2008 BH, I replaced the whole lift system with a system from Ultra-Fab. The system has independant motors on each leg & each leg has a separate lift switch. Also, each motor is heavier than the original on the Lippert System. My cost was roughly a grand for the system & installation.

If you didn't want to incur this type of expense, you can get a kit that provides a separate motor for the 'other' leg. If you want to persue this, I suggest you contact the manufacturer of the lift system for the best price... not Lippert or Heartland as they will uplift the price for their profit.

CS

ps: the manufacturer's name should be on the motor/gear components.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I installed dual motor landing gear on my last Bighorn. Was easy. The manufacturer is Venture Manufacturing. Call and they will sell you what you need. Here is a link with pics on my install.

Peace
Dave

navyAZ1

I have a 2009 Sundance 2997BHS fifth wheel and for the most part have been very happy with the unit. When I first bought the unit, the front landing gear jacks failed on me. A pin inside one of the jacks broke and wouldn't work. The landing gear and motor were covered under warranty...but they still give me problems. For about the last year, the motor will slow down and it sounds like it's working really hard. Sometimes it will blow a fuse (not all the way up or all the way down) or it just stops. If I open the door and move the crossbar a little bit with my hand, then hit the switch, the motor will start again. I've talked with Lippert and did all the things they suggested. I tested the motor under load, replaced the switch and put a new deep cycle battery in this weekend. I still had problems. The motor ran slow, stopped several times, and blew a fuse. I'm trying to work with the dealer and Lippert for a replacement Heavy Duty motor...but who knows how that will work out? I consider it to be an ongoing warranty issue and hope they will replace the motor. If they won't cover it, what do you all recommend as far as brand? Do I need to go with what Lippert sells on their site or look at other brands? I want a good quality heavy duty motor. Any thoughts?

It may not be your motor at all go to the Big Horn threads under "frame" and see all of my experiences with my landing gear. Gary521 helped me with mine. I was having similar problems and it turned out to be the "screw drive" inside each leg that really needed lubrication. All works well now and the motor does not sound like it is under a strain any longer. Good Luck!

Ron

cj11302000

Thanks for all the information guys!! Love this forum. I am able to move the jacks manually with the crank without breaking my arms off, so I'm not sure it's a lubrication issue. It's just so bizarre. The motor runs really slow and just sounds like it's working really hard...then just stops. The fuse doesn't blow and I replaced the motor rocker switch. I can rotate the crossbar by hand, kind of freeing it up and it will run again...still slowly and stop again. I even put a new battery in and I still have the problems. I don't understand why the 12V motor runs slowly and quits. You would think a 12V motor would either work or not work? I am seriously considering getting a new motor and gear reduction box. I am hesistant to buy the Lippert Heavy Duty motor due to the cost and potential reliability issues. I see that Domar, Atwood, and Ultra Fab all make motors, but none are labeled heavy duty. The costs of those motors are considerably less than the Lippert motor. I'm interested in what other people have bought to replace the motors on their single motor systems and the results they got. Thoughts? Ideas?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know how much Lippert wants for their heavy duty motor, but when I went to the dual motor system I think the cost was around $350 for the whole works. Second motor, new switch and new leg. Like I said when you first posted, contact Venture.
One other thing, when I had my 2008 BH my origional landing gear not only was fused but also was on an automatic restet breaker. That may be why yours stops and starts.

Peace
Dave