Cummins jake brake

osims

bsims
I am considering installing a jacobs engine brake on my 06 dodge 3500, has anybody done this. The local Dodge dealer has installed several, cant answer many performance questions.

HappyKayakers

I have the same truck and will have the exhaust brake installed by Cummins here in Amarillo. Can't answer any performance questions other than what I've read on other forums. Should help a lot on downhills, warm the engine faster, don't use on slick roads.

nhunter

I had once installed on my 99 7.3l Ford. While not a true Jacobs brake or Pac brake it just tied into a wiring harness that shut the waste gate butterfly. Worked very well considering it was on an automatic(just had to gear down). Like Happykayakers said warms up engine faster, don't use on icy roads. I believe it was called a Powerbraker?

davebennington

I had a Jake Brake installed by the Dodge Dealer on the 2006 Ram 2500 when I picked up the truck 14 Months ago. It has worked very well when towing and empty. It works in conjuction with the automatic and computer. It does take some getting used to because the first thing that happens is the computer tells the tranny to down shift and the braking starts to work. I use it alot when empty it should save the wheel brakes also.

Dave

davebennington

It is an exhaust brake however it carries the name of Jacobs brake fully warranted by Dodge/Cummins. I know there is much debate weather this is an actual engine brake or not, and is not my intention to start a debate here I am just stating how it works for me.

Dave

happyrover

Exhaust brake

Dave, what is the reason for not using the exhaust brake on icy roads? Does it grab that much to warrant not using it? Coming down long grades or mountain roads may be a real problem, or is the idea not to come down them in icy weather! I think I got that part! Just want to know if it warrants the money to put on.:cool:

nhunter

Dave - wasn't trying to start a debate, I was just curious if they actually made a Jake for the smaller diesels similar to those available for larger ones. If they did that would be awesome and I would sign up for one.

Osims- using a engine / exhaust brake on icy roads is similar to dropping a gear and will result in your rear end letting go and possibly passing your front end (not as much fun as it sounds)

phranc

nhunter,, the Cummins 5.9 is not able to have a true 'Jake Brake' or engine brake . Of course as you know we are able to have a exhaust type brake . There is a significant differnce in price between the two. And the exhaust brake doesn't work too bad for our applications..

nhunter

I didn't think that you could get one, considering the signifigant work / parts to be added to engine. Sure would be cool to have one on the 1 ton.:D

davebennington

Nhunter,

Actually there isn't that many parts involved in the exhaust brake. The butterfly in the exhaust, the pump on the front of the engine and a new belt and some wires going to the ecm oh yea the switch on the shift lever. It is a simple operation and not very hard to install.

Dave

nhunter

The exhaust brake I had used the factory butterfly valve so all it was a wiring harness and a switch. I was refering to the signifigant work / parts required for and engine brake. I almost think my tranny brake works as well as the exhaust brake used to.