3670 and Ford 2008 F250

PetLovers

I have a 2008 Ford 250 PSD lwb super cab and am considering purchasing a BH 3670RL. I am concerned about being able to pull it without any problems. Also I am torn between single pane windows and dual pain windows. I do need your advice.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
The F250 will PULL your rig just fine. It has the same/very similar drive train as the F350. I can almost 100% guarantee you that you'll be overweight on the trucks GVWR with the 3670. Many owners manage just fine with an F250 but please be careful.

jimtoo

Hi PetLovers,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

Ditto on what Ray said... and a BIG YES to the dual pane windows, well worth the extra money I think.

Many years ago we lived in Rangely, Co and Vernal, Ut. Made many a trip to Grand Junction with work. Halliburton then. Have been back a couple of times,, but hope to get back there next year. Beautiful country.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

caissiel

My F250 pulls our BC at 15500Lbs GVW very well. For stability and main ply protection I added one more ply next to the main ply. I found that the main ply was bending a bit much at the pin areas, the additional ply runs under the main ply pin and I feel much better with it there. The sway was completly eliminated with the additional ply.

Yes we do enjoy the fact that we have the Dual Pan windows. For 5 weeks we have seen less than 35F at night and never had any condensation running down the glass and walls under the windows.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I can suggest the dual-pane windows, because we don't have them. Spent some time in June in Las Vegas NV with temps around 115* and Durango CO with temps -26* and both times I wish the windows were better insulated. We had condensation issues in the winter, heat transferring through them (making the AC work harder) in the summer.

Hope you find the rig of your dreams! And if you can't find it on a dealer's lot, Heartland can build it custom for you. ;-D

Pizzaguy

The F250 will do fine with the BH.We pull a 3610RE and it handles it well. I would suggest adding airbags to help level truck and they also improve the ride when towing.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
I have a 2008 Ford 250 PSD lwb super cab and am considering purchasing a BH 3670RL. I am concerned about being able to pull it without any problems. Also I am torn between single pane windows and dual pain windows. I do need your advice.

You will be overloaded on the pin/payload weight by alot. I am very near the max. payload/pin weigh with my 08- F-250 pulling a Sundance XLT ultra-lite.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired

Here's a Trailerlife tow guide from 2007, Which should be very close to yours based on the particulars of your vehicle, ie;body style,trans,rear end ratios etc.
http://www.trailerlife.com/images/towratings/07towratings.pdf

Towing the 3670 I will be very close to my GVWR and GVCWR with my '06 1 Ton Dodge.

TandT

I agree with lwmcguir, I've had Ride Rites on all my trucks and it makes a huge difference. Puts more weight and control back on the front wheels

TandT

Have you verified this weight transfer on a scale? How much is it?

No, I haven't put it on a scale. It takes away any and all "lightness" in the front end with a load however. At least from my experience with them.

branson4020

Icantre Member
No, I haven't put it on a scale. It takes away any and all "lightness" in the front end with a load however. At least from my experience with them.
I ask because I also have ride-rites and I agree that the ride and handling seems much better with them inflated. But an off-the-top-of-my-head estimate is that such a tiny amount of weight transfer takes place (20 lbs?) that it wouldn't even register on a truck scale.

TandT

Yes, that would be hard to estimate. I was thinking maybe a little more than that. Seems to push the center of gravity towards the front of the truck.

caissiel

What I found with mine was the single ply at the pins was causing some sway. With the 2nd ply holding the load at the pins has made my truck very stable.
When I had only the main ply holding at the pins I saw the spring arch and realy was afraid of this ply failing.

floridarandy

Although there are many ways to discuss this subject with words, the numbers are really the best place to start. Regardless of what the numbers might say you'll see the majority of folks on this and other RV boards dont' do the numbers and yet successfully tow beyond the recommended weights. Here's a great tool posted by one of our own http://www.graystarcity.info/Truck and Trailer Weight Report (Simple) v1.0.xls that will help you understand your weights.

Here's what I discovered with my F250 and Sundance //heartlandowners.org/showthread.ph...d-Sundance-2900MK-Weights?highlight=DW_Gray's

If I had it to do over again I'd buy the F350/450 or even F550. I'd own my last truck and could trade 5vers with little other concern. There's a surprisingly small difference between the F250 and F550 in price but in towing you'd never buy another rig. Here's a 2010 F550 that I bet could be bought for a relatively small premium price over an 2011 F250 with similiar equipment. Used would also offer similiar comparisons.

http://www.sarasotaford.com/new-inv...&SBtrim=clear&SBbodystyle=clear&SBprice=clear

Dont' get me wrong....I love my F250 King Ranch 4.2 and it pulls my Sundance great. But I know I'm at the safety edge in terms of stopping the mass of 5ver and truck as I'm over 1000lbs over the Ford rated GVWR.

lwmcguir

We all need to keep in mind the Camper should stop itself. If the brakes or brake controller wont do that then have them worked on or replaced as necessary. You should be able to lock the wheels with your brake controller. Now you don't want to run quite that hot and there is a very good procedure on how to set up your gain. If the Camper brakes can do that then you are just looking at control as it should be. Towing is never an issue as we have so much more horsepower now in F250's than we did years ago in our semi tractors. We tow sometimes with our F550 and it really handles like a dream but so does the F350 and we have towed large campers for over 30 years with a F250. Burnt a lot of gas with the 390's and then the 460's before we had a diesel available. They weren't near as tough as the new pickups. Nor were the tires. You do gain a bit of stability with the wider rear track of the DRW's.

jcarnevale

Your truck will pull that trailer without any problems. As noted in previous posts, you will be around 1000 pounds over your gross vehicle weight. Search this forum and others, this subject has been beaten to death. Know your numbers and drive accordingly.

If you plan on keeping this trailer for more than a few seasons, definitely get dual pane windows.

TandT

Your truck will pull that trailer without any problems. As noted in previous posts, you will be around 1000 pounds over your gross vehicle weight. Search this forum and others, this subject has been beaten to death. Know your numbers and drive accordingly.

If you plan on keeping this trailer for more than a few seasons, definitely get dual pane windows.

I was talked out of getting dual pane windows by several people in the industry, saying the functionality vs the extra cost and weight just wasn't worth it.
Of course I live in the southwest so the majority of the time it is not severe cold.

jnbhobe

I was talked out of getting dual pane windows by several people in the industry, saying the functionality vs the extra cost and weight just wasn't worth it.
Of course I live in the southwest so the majority of the time it is not severe cold.

Boy, I sure wish I would have got them !!