External propane tank

peanutman

I will be staying in my 32re for an extended period of time during the winter. I would like to purchase a 100 gal propane bottle and not take a chance of running out of gas during the night or weekends when i am away.
Has anyone done simular. How will be the best way to attach hose from bottle or does the greystone have a connection for this.
Thanks!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I haven't done that, but I recall someone else posting about doing that. I believe they rented them from a local propane company and the supplier did the hookup and tank swap/fill for them.

hoefler

Contact a local propane provider. The will do the connection and supply the needed hardware.

peanutman

Thanks for the info. I have found the extenda-stay adapters and was wondering is there enough room in the cylinder space to make this connection? Having trouble finding a gas company that will deliver a 100lb bottle and refill as needed.

Buford445

I thought the extenda-stay adapters were for Motorhomes ??
I put a hoswe together for a 100# tane and it works Great

peanutman

Yea not sure if it will work on my greystone. Where i will be staying the prpane companys will only rent a #420 cylinder and i presume hook it up. I have only had my trailer a short time and never used it in winter so im not sure if i need a #100 or a #420. I was going to use the extenda-stay if i decided on the #100 cylinder, if it will work or does someone have another hookup suggestion being i have the dual tanks with the auto swith over.

Buford445

I replaced one pigtail with the longer hose, so one tank is replaced with the 100# tank, I run on the 100# so when it goes empty I still have the 30# full until I get the other filled just like 2 30# tanks

branson4020

Icantre Member
Yea not sure if it will work on my greystone. Where i will be staying the prpane companys will only rent a #420 cylinder and i presume hook it up. I have only had my trailer a short time and never used it in winter so im not sure if i need a #100 or a #420. I was going to use the extenda-stay if i decided on the #100 cylinder, if it will work or does someone have another hookup suggestion being i have the dual tanks with the auto swith over.

Is it possible there is a miscommunication here? A 100 gal propane tank is the same thing as a 420 lb cylinder.

Buford445

A 100# tank is 24gal of propane (The density of propane at 25 degrees C is .493 grams per cubic centimeter. Converting gives 4.11 pounds per gallon.)

Buford445

The Question always comes up and everyone says " I think it's"
So I figured it out (With Google's Help
lol.gif
)

The density of propane at 25 degrees C is .493 grams per cubic centimeter. Converting gives 4.11 pounds per gallon.

SOOoooo

20# tank = 4.87 gal
30# tank = 7.3 gal
40# tank = 9.73 gal
100# tank = 24.33 gal

peanutman

Is it possible there is a miscommunication here? A 100 gal propane tank is the same thing as a 420 lb cylinder.
Ok you answered my quanity question. With the pigtail you installed will your auto switch valve still work as designed. Also did you build this pigtail yourself or buy it premade.

Buford445

I replaced the short pigtail with a "Long one" and it still works with the auto switch, I put it together with fittings but I had found a place in Lansing, MI that would make them you should beable to find someone in your area to make one or make one yourself

peanutman

I replaced the short pigtail with a "Long one" and it still works with the auto switch, I put it together with fittings but I had found a place in Lansing, MI that would make them you should beable to find someone in your area to make one or make one yourself

Thanks with all your help. I think i can figure this out now.

lwmcguir

The Question always comes up and everyone says " I think it's"
So I figured it out (With Google's Help
lol.gif
)

The density of propane at 25 degrees C is .493 grams per cubic centimeter. Converting gives 4.11 pounds per gallon.

SOOoooo

20# tank = 4.87 gal
30# tank = 7.3 gal
40# tank = 9.73 gal
100# tank = 24.33 gal

You will find slight differences depending on the gas plant the propane comes from but here are a couple more pieces of information about propane to throw in the file as well.

Propane Gallon 91502 Propane Pound 21580
The above numbers are BTU's available

Another handy cross reference item is 1.1# of propane is equal to 325 Watts.

Down the road there is no doubt heat pumps will be used more than propane heaters in moderate climates.

jheitman

There are 3.4 btu per hour in 1 watt.
Therefore, 1.1 lbs of propane contains 6982 watts.
I think thats correct.