A little nervous

funntheson

We just picked up our Bighorn on Friday. The brochure dry weight is about 12,400, but I guess all of our options took it up to almost 13,300. I have a 2011 F350 SRW 6.7. The max towing capacity is 16,000. Not that I can do anything about it at this point in time, but is this going to be a problem?

funntheson

Our pin weight rating is at least 3700#. I have read that if I replace my LT 245 17" tires with 265 19" tires, it will increase the pin weight rating. Can anyone confirm this? If so, how much would it increase?

DW_Gray

I don't think you'll have any problem with your truck. To be sure, tow your rig to a scale. Below is an Excel file, Truck and Trailer Weight Report (Simple) v1.0, that will help you figure out the numbers. Ratings are one thing, real numbers is what you want to see.

danemayer

Heartland website shows the hitch/pin weight on the 3585RL as 2510#. If your F350 has a payload of 3700#, which seems in the ballpark for a 1 Ton SRW, that would leave 1190# for fuel, hitch, other stuff in the bed, driver & passengers, and extra weight from options and gear located toward the front of your rig.

hoefler

Changing tires does not increase the capacity. There is more involved in the load rating on a truck; suspension, brakes, axle, frame, engine, transmission, cooling, etc...

lwmcguir

Our pin weight rating is at least 3700#. I have read that if I replace my LT 245 17" tires with 265 19" tires, it will increase the pin weight rating. Can anyone confirm this? If so, how much would it increase?

Surprised at your tire size. Most of the 2011 F350 are 18 or 20 inch. Pin weight will be quite a bit higher than published but you will be fine. A lot of 250/2500 trucks out there pulling the same rig.

wyleyrabbit

I'm pretty sure the published pin weights are significantly lower than reality, once you add your options, clothes, food, tools, etc. etc. to your trailer.

So let's say the real pin weight ends up at 2750 lbs. That leaves you 950 lbs for your hitch (~200 lbs), fuel (~200 to 250 lbs), you and your wife (~350 lbs???), large cups of coffee (~20 lbs each...just kidding).

Theoretically, you're going to be okay. But a weigh scale will tell you the real details. By all means, fill up the truck with fuel, and you and your wife should take the truck and trailer through a weigh scale. Weigh each axel of the truck and trailer, then go unhook the trailer and then do the same for the truck. Do the math, or get one of the resident experts at the scales to help you calculate your real pin weight.

Then, please report back here, we're curious what the real pin weight turns out to be.

jnbhobe

Surprised at your tire size. Most of the 2011 F350 are 18 or 20 inch. Pin weight will be quite a bit higher than published but you will be fine. A lot of 250/2500 trucks out there pulling the same rig.
I agree, from what I can see only the F-250's and the duallys have 17in tires. The 18in will give about 3640lbs per tire capacity. It will be close but if you use your head the truck will be fine Larry.

funntheson

I reported a week ago that Ford has revised the payload numbers as shown in the latest brochure posted on their web site (check last page). They still need to synchronize the rest of their site...

http://assets.forddirect.fordvehicl...eDoc_8801F25B-BDB6-B9BB-EFF7-05C8EFF705C8.pdf

That's really promising, as it appears i should have a 600-700# increase, although my exact specification is not listed. I have 4 x 2, SRW, Crew Cab, 11100 GVWR. I have called Ford and my dealer, and I don't have an answer yet.

funntheson

I reported a week ago that Ford has revised the payload numbers as shown in the latest brochure posted on their web site (check last page). They still need to synchronize the rest of their site...

http://assets.forddirect.fordvehicl...eDoc_8801F25B-BDB6-B9BB-EFF7-05C8EFF705C8.pdf

Are you certain that the changes (in ratings only) apply to existing vehicles vs revised, newer 2011 vehicles? I have not been able to find any information on this. If you have any links, other than the brochure, that address this topic, please post or forward them to me.

lwmcguir

Are you certain that the changes (in ratings only) apply to existing vehicles vs revised, newer 2011 vehicles? I have not been able to find any information on this. If you have any links, other than the brochure, that address this topic, please post or forward them to me.

You sure need to find a scale and see where you are at. Bet you are OK. Still curious as to why the small tires on your truck? Even the 17 inch should have been larger.

letourno

Quebec Chapter Leader-retired

Certainly not certain!!!! My truck has not arrived at the dealership yet and my dealer doesn't have more information. On the original specs document my truck was shown at 11,200 GVW, the brochure now shows 11,400. Since the only other change in the brochure is the power output my guess is that Ford simply revised the numbers. I don't believe that they have made significant mechanical/frame modifications, therefore I am taking it as an indication that even at 3700-3900 lb pin weight ther is in fact some safety margin. As soon as I get the truck I will let you know what's written on the plate.

lwmcguir

Certainly not certain!!!! My truck has not arrived at the dealership yet and my dealer doesn't have more information. On the original specs document my truck was shown at 11,200 GVW, the brochure now shows 11,400. Since the only other change in the brochure is the power output my guess is that Ford simply revised the numbers. I don't believe that they have made significant mechanical/frame modifications, therefore I am taking it as an indication that even at 3700-3900 lb pin weight ther is in fact some safety margin. As soon as I get the truck I will let you know what's written on the plate.

What tire option did you order?

caissiel

There is a lot of discussions on the payload of the Fords F250 and F350 and I did some searching on the mather. I own a Ford 2005 F250 and realized that the SRW F250 and F350 are actually Identical trucks with 2" of lift and tire size differential. I read that the F350 was rated higher because the 2" of lift in the back allowed it to ride higher when loaded. For myself I have 2 extra long spring leaf that adds minimum 1500 Lbs to the spring carrying capacity. The Camper Suspension on my truck, or helper spring is for stability and does not increase the carrying capacity of the springs. The larger tires will increase the capacity of the tires but limited to the rear end capacity.