Maintaining RV Finish

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
We will be picking up our Bighorn 3670 in a few weeks.
I have owned various rv's for 30 years. I tried many different waxes,washes, Protect All,Gelgloss, etc. I have never found a product that lasts very long, or dazzles me.
I would like to hear from the factory guys, and others, as to what is recommended for finish maintenance.
Also, I've heard various opinions about Perma Plate. If you can, please give your opinion of this product, as well.
If this topic has already been discussed, I apologize, I didn't find it.

MIght need moderator help for putting this where it belongs. Thank you

Last edited:

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Re: Maintaining rv finish Heartland factory opinion please

Since you rig is new, I would try Rejex. For me, it lasts much longer than a wax. It is not a wax or cleaner but a sealant. Works especially well on the front cap to make removing bugs a whole lot easier!

GOTTOYS

Rejex is awesome stuff! I have never had anything produce a shine like it does. It's a polymer coating coating much like the "paint sealant" that dealers try to sell you for HUGE dollars. You wash your trailer or car/truck to get all the old wax off and apply it, let it sit awhile and wipe it off. Couldn't be any easier. This is a do-it-yourself product that you can apply for pennies on the dollars of what a dealer charges....Don

TandT

Since you rig is new, I would try Rejex. For me, it lasts much longer than a wax. It is not a wax or cleaner but a sealant. Works especially well on the front cap to make removing bugs a whole lot easier!
Thank you.For some reason I've never heard of it. Would you know if there are any Heartland warranty issues with using it?

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders

Thank you.For some reason I've never heard of it. Would you know if there are any Heartland warranty issues with using it?

I can't imagine there being any warranty issues with this product...if so, to bad for me! I coated my new Big Country and my motorcyle. Three coats on the front cap of the BC allows the bugs to wipe right off! I still do not use it on the decals. I treat the graphics with Aerospace 303 instead!

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator

I heard of Rejex but didn't try it because I thought it was overpriced. BUT from what I'm reading, it may be worth the expense. I've been pretty diligent about trying to keep our rig clean but the front and rear cap have been a bear. The sides are no problem at all. We don't have the gel coat but they are still in good shape. I've buffed, polished, rubbed till my arms are sore and my F & R caps still are not as glossy as when new. I think if I was picking up a new rig I would look into getting it professionally clear coated by a reputable body shop. JMHO

I will be looking into Rejex very soon.

TandT

I e-mailed Rejex to see if it was safe for use on vinyl graphics. Their tech advisor said it was absolutley safe and a major Vinyl graphics mfgr. was in the process of signing with them, after testing it for a year.
This seems to eliminate the need for more than one product. Which is good for me being in the early stages of CRS.
This product sounds alot like the treatment that the dealers try to sell with their units, except it looks to be about 1/10th the price.
This product looks pretty good based on what you guys are saying.

GOTTOYS

Don't let the price fool you. A little goes a long ways. One bottle which I think was under $20.00 did my truck, my car, my motorcycle and I still had a little left over. One of my riding buddies sent me a bottle to try. I really like it.

Moose

Thanks guys. This looks like good stuff. I will try some if I can find it up here in the Great White North.

TandT

Yes, thanks for the feedback. It says on their website you can buy direct online.

skyguy

Here's another vote for Rejex. I had my doubts about the bugs on the front cap, but they really do come off with very little scrubbing! You'll find the surface, after application, is really SLICK! (Pun intended).

Applied it right over everything, including decals.

I bought one of those sheepskin or microfiber window washer blades, about 8-10 inches wide, stuck on the end of a paint roller extendable pole, so I didn't have to get up on a ladder. This made application fast and easy. Then I just draped a towel over a scrub brush, and used that to wipe it down when dry. This went pretty fast, but still took a couple days work! (I ran out of gas). Took about a bottle and a half to fully cover our 3670. I'd say its the best product I have ever used on gelcoat.

Al S.

TandT

Here's another vote for Rejex. I had my doubts about the bugs on the front cap, but they really do come off with very little scrubbing! You'll find the surface, after application, is really SLICK! (Pun intended).

Applied it right over everything, including decals.

I bought one of those sheepskin or microfiber window washer blades, about 8-10 inches wide, stuck on the end of a paint roller extendable pole, so I didn't have to get up on a ladder. This made application fast and easy. Then I just draped a towel over a scrub brush, and used that to wipe it down when dry. This went pretty fast, but still took a couple days work! (I ran out of gas). Took about a bottle and a half to fully cover our 3670. I'd say its the best product I have ever used on gelcoat.

Al S.
Great. Thank you.

HappyKayakers

For the folks on this thread who already let their finish go bad, you might want to look at Poli-Glow. I saw it at the Tampa RV show last month and decided I'd already spent so much on different products to get the shine back that this would be worth a shot. My whole RV looked faded and chalky. My front cap now looks like new again. Rear cap was more difficult with all the curves, ladder mounting points, etc. The bottle says it should last 6-12 months, we'll see.

rustyshakelford

How long does the rejex usually last before I would need to reapply?

Thanks

Brett

boatdoc

Check out RedMax floor polish from Lowes. Goggle it, there are some very interesting threads from Rv'ers and boaters. I couldn't resist and tried it on the front cap. All I can say is WOW.

Netem

Another one out there is Shineononline.com Its for boats and RVs that the gel coat is dead. Haven't used it but a freind with a sob is going to try it on his front cap.

aatauses

I saw an rv that was 5 years old and looked new. I ask the owner what he used and he stated NU-Finish. I tried some on my p/u and then the rv---Been real happy with the results---I did check with mfg and put it over the decals with no issues---It is actually a polimer rather than a wax.
al

BC1of38

Thanks guys. This looks like good stuff. I will try some if I can find it up here in the Great White North.

Did you ever find a supplier in Canada? I tried a listed distributor in Winnepeg, with zero response...

Thanks!

Cimriver

Ok I'm convinced and would like to give Rejex a try. How much of this product will I need for my 37' Elkridge?