Bighorn 3670RL dual pane windows,R factor and added weight,

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
How much weight does it add to a 2011 Bighorn 3670 RL when dual pane windows are added?
Also what is considered to be the R rating of the windows.
I have an order about ready to go into production.
I was kind of talked out of them by the dealer for several reasons, one being a weight factor. I am going to be close on my trucks weight ratings.
So now I am torn. I probably would not be spending extended time in freezing temperatures, but I will be fulltiming. Is it worth getting them? Thank you.

Bobby A

I can't tell you the weight or R value, but we have a 3580 Big Horn and we also full time, we did order our coach with the dual pane and sooooo glad we did. My last coach did not have them, and I sure do notice a big different in no drafts, much quieter inside the coach and no condenstation to deal with on the windows. I will NEVER own another coach without them. I'm sure the factory knows the weight of the dual panes in a 3670. Good luck

funntheson

I don't know the weight either. But, I will say this, don't let the dealer decide what you get on your trailer. Just do the research (like you are doing here) and make your own decisions. I am surprised that they would talk you out of dual pane windows. If you do a little research here, you will see that people here swear by the dual pane windows.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
I cannot remember the exact weight, but I think it was only about 250 extra pounds...I too must say, I will never NOT have them again! Not only do they add considerable noise reduction, but in colder weather there is no condensation...one of the best options you can get. My suggestion, before it's too late, add them to your order, especially since you will be fulltiming. We've been fulltime for five years, four years with the dual panes...and there is no comparison!

caissiel

I was going to say 250Lbs also. We have them and we are glad we have them. Here in Florida it has been cold enough to need them. If you are full timing it should be well worth it.

TandT

Thanks everyone. So amongst those of you that have them, is there any down side to them?

I already fired off an e-mail to my dealer to get a price

Last edited:

jnbhobe

Thanks everyone. So amongst those of you that have them, is there any down side to them?

I already fired off an e-mail to my dealer to get a price

Don't miss your chance to get them !!! You have plenty of truck to handle your rig.

kakampers

Don't miss your chance to get them !!! You have plenty of truck to handle your rig.

The only down side I've discovered is they are sometimes hard to slide open and closed, at least in my '08...other than that...nothing!

TandT

Thanks everyone. I'm asking my dealer to add them, which seemed to send them into panic mode. My unit is scheduled to go into production on Jan 12.
Sure hope they can get it done .
It was a bit surprising they origionally talked me out of them, after hearing all of the positive responses from you folks.

Last edited:

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Here is some added weights the factory gave me when I ordered my rig. I would definitely order my windows again , well worth the little weight and cost......Kenny

Dual Pane Windows : 120 lbs
Gel Coat : 215 lbs
Slide Toppers: 10 Lbs each
Electric Rear Jacks : 15 lbs
Fireplace : 20 lbs

jnbhobe

Thanks everyone. I asking my dealer to add them, which seemed to send them into panic mode. My unit is scheduled to go into production on Jan 12.
Sure hope they can get it done .
It was a bit surprising they origionally talked me out of them, after hearing all of the positive responses from you folks.

If your worried about getting them call the factory your self and speak with the sales manager for your area.

dmcessna

We are considering converting from real estate to full timing in a Big Horn. I think I have hooked up with a very good dealer who answers all my questions with a history lesson of RV's. A couple of the guys at the dealership have been in the industry for 30 years from the factory to the dealer. I know nothing so I appreciate all the help he has been. I also appreciate everything I am learning here. Now to the point. I have been told by two different sources that windows flex while towing (makes sense) and the seal between double pane windows will break losing the insulation ability and allowing condensation between the panes and the only fix is a new window (this makes sense too). So, I too have been steered away from double pane windows. What has been the experience of those of you who are actually living with them?
Marty & Mickey

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
It has been my experience to find that the dealers who try and say that the dual panes are not worth it have never actually used a camper. If you have read the posts here in this thread two full timers have stated they would never be with out them. No one other than your dealer said they would not get them again.
I do not full time but have had them in two Bighorns and like everyone that has them now, I would not be without them.

Peace
Dave

kakampers

We are considering converting from real estate to full timing in a Big Horn. I think I have hooked up with a very good dealer who answers all my questions with a history lesson of RV's. A couple of the guys at the dealership have been in the industry for 30 years from the factory to the dealer. I know nothing so I appreciate all the help he has been. I also appreciate everything I am learning here. Now to the point. I have been told by two different sources that windows flex while towing (makes sense) and the seal between double pane windows will break losing the insulation ability and allowing condensation between the panes and the only fix is a new window (this makes sense too). So, I too have been steered away from double pane windows. What has been the experience of those of you who are actually living with them?
Marty & Mickey

First, RV dual pane windows are not sealed units like those in a house. They are simply two panes of glass with an air void between them. We've had dual panes on two different units, and have towed them for more than 60,000 miles...we've not had a problem to date and doubt we'll have any problem at this point. Plus we have been fulltime in both of these units, putting them to the ultimate test...we would not be without them ever again...JMHO!

TandT

I'm working on trying to get them put on my order.

Thanks to everyone here for great info.

noobee

Marty & Mickey

We have traveled extensively (57,000km) with our unit for the past 3.5 years & never a problem with the dual panes. I was told the same when we were purchasing our previous unit... I think they told me this as the unit on the lot they were trying to sell me only had single panes.

CS

jnbhobe

Marty & Mickey
What Dave and Ken said is, The Truth The Whole Truth And Nothing But The Truth !!!!!

Riverman

Seems to be a common theme with salespeople.
We too were talked out of ordering the dual pane windows.
We got the old "They are extra weight and an unwise investment" line.
Guess we didn't creep this forum enough before we ordered.
Sure wish we had them now.

TandT

Update;
I have been told I waited too long and can't get the dual panes. :-(
Too close to production date. (5 days).