Trailer Hitch

tsmith

Is it possible to attach a 3,000-5,000 pound trailer hitch to 2010 Road Warrior 395 toy hauler to tow a small bike trailer?

Last edited:

dwallace

I wish there were someone out there that had some input onthis one. I’m thinking of adapting the same mod one my 2011. The rear jackswere damaged from the dealer when I got it this spring. The toy hauler I hadbefore this one had more cargo space; but was not as plush and easy to drive asthis fifth wheeler. So now if I need to haul more than two bikes, I got to pulldoubles. I was looking at this add from Northern tools in their trailer hitchsection. It seems you can order a custom made receiver bar made to your specs.I’m thinking of using the mount points for the rear jacks on mine for a bolt oninstallation. I’ll be pulling up to a 17 foot utility behind the RW. I’ll betaking a good look at the strength of this mounting arraignment to the frame inthat area. The issue you and I will need to address is the rear ramp. The hitchsetup has to be of the class 3 receiver type. This way you can remove the ballmount slid in to have a clear area and let down the ramp with no interferenceor accidental damage to the outside of the ramp. So remember, the mounted receiverhas to be custom made as the trailer frame is wider than your truck frame. Agood weld shop can chop and alter one for you. The drawback is, we lose therear leveling jacks. I don’t know about you; but I don’t think I’ll ever usethe rear jack anyway. If there is anyone out there that can add to this, pleasejump in and also email me with your input. (Dwallace082753@msn.com)

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Keep in mind if you do this it will void the frame warranty if you have any left.

ditkitty

What kind of bikes are you hauling? We can fit 3 full-size Harleys in our RW395 - we do need to take the saddlebags off. Pull one up along each side, then the third fits up in between - the rear wheel on the third is a few inches in front of where the floor starts to slope back. We did have to add more tie-down rings.
I wish there were someone out there that had some input onthis one. I’m thinking of adapting the same mod one my 2011. The rear jackswere damaged from the dealer when I got it this spring. The toy hauler I hadbefore this one had more cargo space; but was not as plush and easy to drive asthis fifth wheeler. So now if I need to haul more than two bikes, I got to pulldoubles. I was looking at this add from Northern tools in their trailer hitchsection. It seems you can order a custom made receiver bar made to your specs.I’m thinking of using the mount points for the rear jacks on mine for a bolt oninstallation. I’ll be pulling up to a 17 foot utility behind the RW. I’ll betaking a good look at the strength of this mounting arraignment to the frame inthat area. The issue you and I will need to address is the rear ramp. The hitchsetup has to be of the class 3 receiver type. This way you can remove the ballmount slid in to have a clear area and let down the ramp with no interferenceor accidental damage to the outside of the ramp. So remember, the mounted receiverhas to be custom made as the trailer frame is wider than your truck frame. Agood weld shop can chop and alter one for you. The drawback is, we lose therear leveling jacks. I don’t know about you; but I don’t think I’ll ever usethe rear jack anyway. If there is anyone out there that can add to this, pleasejump in and also email me with your input. (Dwallace082753@msn.com)

gpshemi

RW = 41'2"
F350 = ~21' 4"
~59 total?

While I've thought about doing this as well (use to tow doubles all the time), Max length in Nevada is 65'. Same as Michigan.
I'm guessing it would have to be a SMALL trailer at around ~6' long...including the tongue! Not much of a trailer...

dwallace

The lenth law for commercial trucks is 65' in most states I think, would have to get a truckers atlas to find it for sure. How would this mod void the frame warranty? I don't intend to modify the 405RW frame at all. The leveling jacks are bolted on. It's a one piece system that mounts by bolting to the rear bottom of the frame. A custom cross bar reciever would mount in it's place. And if rear leveling jacks were needed; yes bottle jacks would do; but may have a bleed down issue over time. I would use maybe a two ton jack stand, two each. But like I said before; I may never use a jack in the rear anyway; because I need to have the rear as low as posible to ease loading and unloading the bikes. I've been pondering the idea of trying to put three in that garage. Just looks too tight, and too close to get a good tie down. I use ride in stands also. They do take up a little more room. But the piece of mind knowing the bikes are secure, and so much easier to park in the stands. We have two full size Harleys, with bags. I've seen pictures of folks doing the double pull in the past. With a fifth wheel as the front trailer, theres not much of a stablility issue. The number two trailer shouldn't be so heavy as to need brakes, So no larger than a 12 to 16 footer is best I would think. Forget about backing up so plan way ahead so not to embarras your self. The hook up routine is art work.