Will 15amp sevice run 13.5 btu ac/or heat pump?

cashb

We are staying at a campground with only this service, so I need to know if I can run the ac/heat pump? :confused:

Chuck Richard

I have not tried with my bighorn but with my old towable with a 13.5 A/C I ran it in many parks with only 15 amp. This is pushing the limit but as long as I did not try to run the microwave I was fine and did not damage the A/C unbit or ever trip a breaker.

LarryD

I have run a 15k BTU unit A/C from a 50 ft extension cord to a 15 amp outlet. Did this for a week, but I shut the A/C off before running anything else. This is not recommended, but at the time I didn't have a choice. That was 6 yrs ago and the unit is still working fine. Don't know about a combo A/C & HP unit.

lwmcguir

We are staying at a campground with only this service, so I need to know if I can run the ac/heat pump? :confused:

If it don't trip the breaker you have got it. Normally 15 amp is wired with 14 gauge wire. Probably warm up the wire quite a bit.

porthole

Retired
Doesn't hurt to try, although I think I would use a 10 or 12 gauge extension cord with a trailer connector (30 amp?) wired on instead of using adapters.
With our TT I used a 20 amp all the time at the house, and tried a 15 with no problems.

hoefler

Periodically check the plugs and cable to see it they are getting warm, getting warm to hot indicates you are trying to pull too much current through the cord. Also check to see if you are melting the plugs around the prongs, also another indication of too much current for the cord.

cashb

Thanks for all the comments! I head over there tomorrow and will try it out and let you know how many breakers I blow! Hopefully, none! :angel:

cashb

Just thought I'd let you all know that I blew the breaker within 3 minutes of turning on the heat pump! Oh well, I survived without it anyway, but it was good to find out...

BruteForce

I can only push 15amp to my 5th wheel. The AC will fire, but then blow my breaker. Doesn't work for me. Electric water heater will also blow my breaker, but I can run the furnace, water pump and other items via 15amp.

Birchwood

Your A/C uses over 12 amp so therfore you only have 3 amp remaining.Your converter is also on when plugged
to shore power charging your battery etc.Close to the limit and not all 15 amp outputs are the same.

jpajax

Start up is were it really put a strain or pulls the most. I have found that if you run the fan all the time it will take less on the initial start up on the ac because the fan is all ready running and there for the start cycle has been completed on the fan.