Lippert Recall for Axle Welds on some Landmark Units

ChopperBill

I am located in Parker AZ and an owner of a 3055 came by to show me a recall on Lippert axles for the 2007 models. His serial number is only 100 newer than mine so I was concerned. I went to an area to get cell coverage and called Chris about the recall and he had no info of the serial numbers involved. I called the 800 number and the other local number for Lippert and all I got was an answering machines. Not good when I cant get cell service where I am camped. I have not received mail in over a month so how can I be assured I wont have axle problems on the way home? The serial number of my rig is in my signature and I got my axle numbers but did not bring them to the area where I get WIFI but they are something between 180,000 and 182,000. The serial number of the axles on my neighbors rig were over 200,000.

The RV-Ramblers

BigHorn Owners
Bill,
I got our BigHorn 3500 around the same time as you. Ours was a '07 and I believe that yours was a '06 model. I received a call or an email sometime last summer concernng the axles on our RV. Heatland or Lippert inquired about the serial number on our axle. In any case, our axle was not one of the serial numbers that they were concerned about. I am under the impression that they knew what range of manufacturing dates that the axles were used and that they were locating all of the possible defective axles. I would assume that if you did not receive a call then your unit was not in question.

The RV-Ramblers

BigHorn Owners
Bill,
My later internet search found this recall at:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/prepos/files/Artemis/Public/Recalls/2006/RCLMTY-092006-1234.pdf

It states:
"Heartland RV is recalling 51 MY 2007 Bighorn fifth wheel trailers. The hub weld is insufficient to hold the spindle to the axle tube. Spindle separation from the axle tube can occur, increasing the risk of a crash. Heartland is working with Lippert to replace the axles on the affected trailers. 06V-370"

sislv

Tom & Sharol
Lippert axle recall

Bill.....I found this which may be what you had seen.

Report Date : January 25, 2007 at 03:04 PM
NHTSA Campaign ID number : 06V370000 Make / Models : Model/Build Years: HEARTLAND / BIGHORN 2007
Manufacturer : HEARTLAND RECREATIONAL VEHICLES, LLC NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 06V370000 Mfg's Report Date : SEP 25, 2006Component: SUSPENSION:FRONT:HUBPotential Number Of Units Affected : 51Summary:
spacer.gif
ON CERTAIN FIFTH WHEEL TRAILERS, THE HUB WELD IS INSUFFICIENT TO HOLD THE SPINDLE TO THE AXLE TUBE.Consequence:
spacer.gif
SPINDLE SEPARATION FROM THE AXLE TUBE CAN OCCUR, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.Remedy:
spacer.gif
HEARTLAND IS WORKING WITH LIPPERT TO REPLACE THE AXLES ON THE AFFECTED TRAILERS. OWNERS MAY CONTACT HEARTLAND AT 1-574-262-5992.Notes:
spacer.gif
CUSTOMERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION’S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.
bar.gif

I do think this was taken care of by Heartland last year, I seem to remember some postings.

Tom

ChopperBill

Thanks guys! The folks that had the letter here have moved on but it seems like he just received it. It did say 07's and sure mine was one of the last 06's.

Scott

You can get with David Partin, at 574.262.8030 to find out the exact range of serial numbers that get the new axles from Lippert.
Like it says, they had some issues with some of the welds where the axles meet the hubs and after we discovered two separate axles on two separate units that had this issue, we got with Lippert and NHTSA to launch this effort to get ahold of any possible Landmarks that had an axle from that batch. So far - so good, as we have not seen any other occurances. But we (Heartland & Lippert) are replacing a number of them just in case.
ST

DennisZ

I got the recall notice and talked with Brent Giggy at Lippert. I got the serial numbers from my axels, and they were just outside of the range of concern. The axels that are in the recall are in the range of S/N 195094 thru 195167, all the others are OK. It appears that they were used on early 2007 models based on my serial numbers.:)

ChopperBill

Thanks Dennis! That was the info I was looking for. Mine are in the 180,000's so I wont be concerned. Not having cell service and just getting answering machines when I do was getting pretty annoying!

bobadri

We have a 2007 Landmark Grand Canyon and have had frame problems needing repairs...there was a recall on this isuue...requiring extensive bracing and changing springs....we received letter last week
Bob and Adrienne Manning

T

test user

Hi Bob and Adrienne,

Curious... What is your unit serial number? Just the last 5 of the VIN.

Thanks,

Jim

ct0218

The "fix" that Lippert/Heartland just announced is the repair that was done on our rig in September while we were at LSI. In our case, 3 braces were added, side to side, and they changed out my whole axle and suspension assembly prior to the welding of the braces. Really stout now. We weren't aware we had a problem until LSI discovered it, and apparently it was pretty bad.

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
ct0218 said:
The "fix" that Lippert/Heartland just announced is the repair that was done on our rig in September while we were at LSI. In our case, 3 braces were added, side to side, and they changed out my whole axle and suspension assembly prior to the welding of the braces. Really stout now. We weren't aware we had a problem until LSI discovered it, and apparently it was pretty bad.
Clark,what year is your MR?Just wondered if I needed to be concerned about our 2005.

jbeletti

I have an '05 Landmark Mt. Rushmore, s/n 378. RS checked mine out and mine was not among those affected.

Jim

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Jim Beletti said:
I have an '05 Landmark Mt. Rushmore, s/n 378. RS checked mine out and mine was not among those affected.

Jim
thanks Jim. Mine is s/n134,so it sounds like ours should be fine.

ct0218

Terry
Ours was built in March 06, #2896. Not sure exactly what the difference would be between your suspension and mine, but they really beefed mine up, even 8k axles ILO the stock 7K. I'm sure the lateral bracing will help in tight turns, like in and out of some sites.

L'l John

Where to look for Serial #?

Just exactly where should I look for the SN# on the axle of my Bighorn?
Mine was built just as the model changed from 2006 to 2007 year. Mine is the '07 model.
Thanks,

ct0218

The serial numbers I'm referring to are the Heartland unit numbers (last six of the VIN), not the axle. I've never checked axles for production numbers, but there are probably some on there. Since my axles were replaced when the problem began to develop I guess they never sent me a recall notice, so I'm not sure what was in in it. Maybe someone that got a notice will chime in and let everyone know. Might be one of those "take the fifth wheel to your dealer" recalls, no way to know for sure.

Barry & Alana

We are in the recall spectrum with ours. They called us and we recvd the letter for the recall. The numbers onthe axels do verify the range they are recalling. I had asked our dealer out the reecall and they didn't know anything about it. So I had dto take our letter in and show them. I'm now waiting for a call from the dealer to fix the recall.

DennisZ

L'l John

My unit was produced right about the same time as yours, so you could have an axle in the recall. The s/n's are located on a tag on the axle about in the middle of each axle.

gawelsh

We just had our axle supports added - also had it dewinterized , with a full systems check while at the dealers.....all systems are a GO. George has made a couple of very minor repairs ; otherwise, the rig seems perfect.

We 're having all work done by Keystone RV in Greencastle PA - we didn't buy from them, but would now, based on their service and parts staff. They did a great job in following up with Lippert on some missing parts for the axle support recall - they had it taken care of by early the next day. Their service prices are reasonable, too.

They have some '06 Landmarks on their lot - call and ask for Paul. You can get a DEAL !!!