Window treatment

We recently purchased a 2011 Big Country 3250TS. Our unit has the wide slat blinds in the living/dining room area instead of the day/night shades that you usually find in RVs these days. I like the looks of them as they give a homey look to the unit along with the curtains with the decorative rods. The jury is out yet as to how we like them long term. For us the pros are: you can have the blinds open and still enjoy your view without having to completely open the day/night shades and it just gives a cozy feeling to the area. The cons for us: they need to be pulled up to the top when traveling since there is no way to anchor them to keep them from moving (a little difficult especially on the big back window as it is heavy and has a wide span) and also as any slat blind they get dusty and need to be cleaned more frequently then the day/night shades. Just wondering how others feel about these.
Janine and Mike

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
When we first bought our rig it came with the day/night shades. We have since changed out the LR shades to wooden blinds. The large rear window has 1-1/2" and the slide windows are 1". We agree with everything you said. Plus you can do all adjustments with one hand.

When we travel we raise the blinds up and use 1" pillow foam pads on each side, wedged into the the side bolsters, to stabilize them for travel. Never had a problem doing this. These foam pads are available at Walmart 14" squares in the craft area.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
We have never raised the blinds to travel and so far no issues. We do close them and have them at the bottom of the window just about even with the plastic blind tensioners.

Best Wishes!

danemayer

I raise the ones over the dining room table a couple of inches so it doesn't rub the table. Other than that, we travel with them down. Their motion seems restricted pretty well by the hard valences.

YaShouldaGotaDiesel

On the Big Country RV's there is curtains hanging from rods like in a house, so rising them to the top maybe the only solution to the banging of them on the walls.
They may sell the pins and hooks at CW that attach to the wall and the bottom of the blinds to secure them while traveling.

Wharton

Instead of raising the blinds why don't you put a cup hook on each side at the bottom, loop a pony tail holder (the covered ones) over the cup hook and the blind.......

We have had blinds for 15 years and never raise them.

caissiel

Wish we had them on our unit.

The previous unit had them and it was so much more practical. Never had any maintenance required in 15 years and we removed them the wash them.

I am not sure how we will wash these day night. so they will be replaced when washing required.

My friends all had these day nights and us we just bragged the slat blinds.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
One of my future projects under consideration is to replace the PITA day/night shade at the rear of the coach with a vertical blind set. We've put them in all but two windows in our house and love them (so do the cats). It may require traveling with them open and velcro strapped in place, but on a seasonal site, they'll be great.

From the looks of it, I'd either have to build out the side valances or eliminate them completely. Could make wood ones that won't disintegrate when you bump them. May have to reposition the two wall lamps back there, too. Idea lamp just went on! Mount them on the "new" wood side valances. The verticals are not extremely heavy, so mounting them under the cabinets over the window should not be a problem.

Wharton

The 1" vinyl blinds fit under the valence. We attached the blinds to the inside top of the valence.