Will my "dirty" generator harm my appliances?

grizzlygiant

I know the difference between "clean" and "dirty" ac produced by generators. What harm will/could be done powering the coach with less than "clean" power? Converter, microwave, TV, cell charger, computer,---

branson4020

Icantre Member
How dirty is your generator, and are you going by spec's or measured values? If it's spec'd at less than about 6% THD and is functioning correctly, you will be fine. I've run my coach, entertainment center, computer, cell phone charger, etc. off my Onan 4kw for days at a time with no problems.

grizzlygiant

By "dirty" I am referring to the non-sine wave current generated by most of he low-cost generators (ie, Champion) versus the pure sine wave "clean" current typically generated by the upper-end invertor generators (such as an Onan).

jnbhobe

I have used Kawasaki, Kohler and Kabota generators on our unit without any problems, now I have a 3K Honda inverter style and it is so quiet

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
By "dirty" I am referring to the non-sine wave current generated by most of he low-cost generators (ie, Champion) versus the pure sine wave "clean" current typically generated by the upper-end invertor generators (such as an Onan).

My Champion does just fine ,no problems , best money I spent for the rig.

Jellystone

When using a generator for power, always monitor your cycles and voltage. The cycles will fluctuate but should be close to 60 hz. If it falls below 60 hz for too long you will probably see damage to sensitive electronic devices (computers, televisions, gaming systems, etc.). The best advice I can give is to purchase a power filtering system that cleans up "dirty" electricity. Plug the filtering system into an outlet and then plug sensitive electronics in there only. There are also battery backups sold that clean up "dirty" electricity from generators. It all depends on how many days you are planning on using the generator for power whether the investment is worth it.

The best way to keep your generator cycles running smooth after initial setting is to keep a clean air filter and fuel filter on the generator engine. Dirty air filters and fuel filters are often the culprits when cycles start to drop.

grizzlygiant

Thanks, Jellystone......Do you have any web addresses for a power filtering system such as you suggest? My Google search was unproductive. Thanks!