using 50amp plug with a reducer plug to 110 question?

Aristakat

Need everyone's help once again.

I have a 50 amp cord that we use at camp grounds but thought I might be able to use reducer during day before at the house to cool fridge down ? Can I use 50amp cord with reducer on our house hold 110 plug ? If this works will save me a electrician bill installing a 50amp plug at the house , I turn battery switch off when not in use so not worried about that part just wondering if I could save the propane usage during our cool down of fridge day before..

thanks
Jamie

SmokeyBare

Re: using 50amp plug with a redcuer plug to 110 question?

I would suggest instead that you run a heavy extension cord directly to the rear of the Fridge. by taking off the outside vent cover you can see the electric cord plugged into an Outlet. Disconnect the fridge plug and attach it to the extension cord. This will run the fridge with out the extra phantom loads through the RV.

Marv

danemayer

I do exactly what you propose when I've got our unit in front of the house getting ready for a trip. You need a 50 to 30 adapter and a 30 to 15/20 adapter. In addition to running the refrigerator (without using propane), I can check out other AC devices.

DougS

Doug S

My unit came with a 50 amp to 30 amp adapter and a 30 amp to 15 amp plug, as part of the dealer package. Both adapters are used to get 50 to 15 amps. I plugged into 15 amps several times during my Alaska trip this year. You will not be able to use the AC, but should work well for the refrig.

gmc

Reitired - California-Central Chapter Leaders

You can get a 50 to 15 adapter from tweetys.com at at a very good price. I use one and it works fine

branson4020

Icantre Member

All good advice about using adapters, but, the amount of propane you will use getting your refer cooled down and operating overnight is pretty tiny. You may only be talking about saving a few cents.

watchthebox

I use the adapters like others have mentioned. For me, it's not just about saving propane. I plug my Cyclone in not only to cool down the frig, but also to charge the battery.

porthole

Retired

You can get a 50 to 15 adapter from tweetys.com at at a very good price. I use one and it works fine

Or, if you already have some decent wire laying around you can make your own.

Our trailer is pretty much plugged from the the beginning of RV season to the end. Mostly just to leave the fridge on and batteries charged up. I don't empty the fridge after every trip.
We are always in and out of even when parked in the driveway.

jnbhobe

We are like Duane, our unit is plugged into a 30 amp plug on the garage, Its like that from spring to fall. I have a 50 to 30 amp cord made up just for that. When its in storage I have a 50 to 30 stubby jumper I adapt to 15 amp to keep the batteries charged.

Aristakat

thanks for all the info, I might just go with the propane deal if its not using that much anyway... I will check for frig vent in the morning... We will unforunately use our 5ther a few weeks out of the year the rest of the time in garage under rv cover :( I only have a single battery and easy access to charge it so thats no worry either..

hoefler

Keep in mind, you need to have 12 volts to the fridge as well as 110 or propane, to run the electronics.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Why not spend the money to get at least a 30 amp RV circuit installed? That way if you have to use the RV as an extra bedroom or just want to 'camp out' at the house you can. We keep ours plugged in at our house all the time. But we can store our RV at the house so that could be an issue if you cannot.

lwmcguir

We plug ours in while getting ready to the garage with a 20 amp breaker. Using the 50 amp adapter we can run the AC and anything else that is on. Checked the voltage to be sure we weren't getting to much drop and it was holding 117 or so with the AC on. Works for us and it seems the Landmark AC don't pull as many amps as the Yellowstone did. The Yellowstone would trip the same breaker sometimes where we never have in the past two years with the Landmark. Going to add a larger circuit/outlet just so it looks better than the little 12 gauge Cord hooked to the big coach plug.

Aristakat

Why not spend the money to get at least a 30 amp RV circuit installed? That way if you have to use the RV as an extra bedroom or just want to 'camp out' at the house you can. We keep ours plugged in at our house all the time. But we can store our RV at the house so that could be an issue if you cannot.

already have a line ran to rv garage for my dive compressor my Electrcian called today said I could piggy back off that line with a 30 am plug which I have reducer from from 50am just can't run compressor at same time which is no big deal wouldn't do any way... I did look today and found frig plug behind vent panel looks like a option also .. I am going to use propane now untill I get 30 am power wired up

RickMN

Part # 55-8971 A little spendy at $53.38 but it will be great for boon docking with the generator.

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1

i have a 50 amp to 120 volt plug. works great! do away with one more adapter and use this to get down to 120 volt ext. cord.
http://www.rvpartsnow.com/Temporary-Adapter-50F-20M-Ad5020 may be on ebay or other rv dealers as it is kind of new i think. ge #ad5020, google it to find it elsewhere.
imagerequest.aspx

porthole

Retired

The above adapter is listed as a 50amp ---> 20amp unit.
Just an FYI for those that don't know, a 20 amp plug has a sideways plug like this ||-
a 15 amp plug looks like this ||

You can use you typical extension cord (15amp) in the 20amp adapter.

We purchased a used 50 Amp dryer pigtail for 4.99 at thrift store; added a 2"x3 1/2junction box and 110v outlet,
wired the 50A cord to the 110 outlet with proper ground...been using that setup for extra 1KW electric heater direct from
pole now for 2 years without a blow fuse or any issue...Careful when you wire the outlet you get the wires correct..

Total outlay was about $11.00

Rich and Stefanie

Last edited: