Hard To Swallow !!!!

Uncle Rog

Howdy, here I sit with a 2005 D/Max in the lumber yard parking lot that will not start! I have performed all the required maintenance and have even scheduled next week to change out the stk fuel tank with a 48 gal after market model. The engine turns over,coughs and then will not start. Oh woe is me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ChopperBill

Fuel filter? These new 2 micron filters seem to plug up fast especially if you are traveling and get a bad tank of fuel.

ct0218

Sounds fuel related...have you opened the valve on top of the filter, tried priming once or twice. That should tell you if you got fuel to that point. What maintenance has been done lately?

billd

Almost sounds like water in fuel, plugged fuel system, bad injector pump or injectors not working right

Bill

Uncle Rog

Thanks guys, all good ideas, chopper, the filter is a possibility, I thought I could get away with 20k miles between changes, ct, I did not know about the valve on the filter, I will have our shop guy give me a few pointers on that. We go to Death Valley several times a year, any trick to get out of there without a tow bill is good to know.Bill, I buy all the fuel for the yard and make sure the filter on the tanks are changed out regularly....I will post my results after the dealer has their way with me!!!

ct0218

Most people will agree that what most likely caused the injector failures on 01-03 Duramax engines was insufficient filtering. GM has had 3 versions of the filter, each one an improvement in micron rating. Make sure you're getting version C, the latest, and GM recommends 15K max on filter changes. A set of injectors installed out warranty is about $4000, so frequent filter changes are somewhat of a bargain.

dieselengineer

Charter Member
The stock filters do not have a lot of area and size. With the amount of fuel that is required to feed these engines, it pays to install a REAL truck filter. I use a big spin on Cat filter. This is where sizes does matter.

ct0218

Very true. GM provided a filter that met their minimum requirements. Beancounters at work again!

Uncle Rog

Update.....

I was told that it was an emissions sensor error? I was told the same thing the first time I took the truck in for hard shifting! That turned out to be a TCM, transmission control module. It is all warrantied, but if I was in Winnemucca on top of a big canyon i would be SOL, more later. I am now driving a 2007 Chevy, gas rig.....loaner...have a nice weekend all.

ct0218

By the way Rog (or anyone else with a Duramax), if you ever need to prime the fuel filter just loosen that vent cap, don't take it out--too easily lost. Very hard to find a replacement. I only know of a couple of sources for aftermarket caps, otherwise it will have to come from GM--along with the whole filter assembly. They don't sell individual parts, and its several hundred bucks. Makes for a very expensive nylon cap!

Uncle Rog

Dieselengineer, I am still waiting for my truck,hopefully this pm, I am interested in that big 'ol CAT filter you mentioned, the bigger the better. Is there an adapter required or just a heavy duty repacement?

Uncle Rog

Big Problem....

Howdy, I have been informed that my Duramax has a loose Reluctor gear. It is on the end of the crank and keeps the cam in sync for proper ignition. It covered by the 100k warranty, but I am not happy.....:mad:

ct0218

I have heard of strange things going wrong, but that particular item is a first. The odds of that happening would have to be very slim.

Uncle Rog

CT, I concur, tomorrow I am going to drop in on the dealer for a short arm inspection of sorts, every time the truck has gone back for a fix some extraordinary failure occurs thereafter. The service writer, who is on commision as they all are, first explained that the inintial estimate to "determine" the problem was 1600.00 bucks, not pesos. I showed up immediately at the dealer and cornered the service manger for an explanation, all of a sudden it was "warranitable". The senorita is no longer on the case, I am dealing direct with the service manager........more later, muy gooyee.........

ct0218

I'd get a second opinion from a different dealer. There is a lot of opinions on what is warrantible and what is not, and it varies from dealer to dealer. I wouldn't want them tearing into my engine if they are on a hunting trip. They know that the Duramax has a 100K warranty, so the change in direction on who foots the bill throws up a red flag. I do a lot of research before every major purchase I make, and I find I usually know as much or more than the dealer or store. I ended up training my salesman on the Landmark I bought, corrected the incorrect info he was spouting out, and got him on the right track. I have 2 friends that could only get 1 or 2 injectors replaced-they were told GM wouldn't authorize it. One truck was in the shop for 2+ weeks for analysis, and was given a 4K estimate. I took mine in to a different dealer, I had 2 bad ones and they replaced all 8. They checked it out on a Tuesday AM, repaired (in and out on Friday) with no questions asked. Exactly the same symptoms in every case. I would definitely shop around.

Last edited:

dieselengineer

Charter Member
Uncle Rog
The following is the fuel filter info. It is a spin on that you need to attach the base into your fuel system, It takes some rework of the fuel lines. I can not say how GM system works, only know what dodge has and there is enough room next to the inline 6 to mount the filter. With the base the filter is about 9 inches high.

I would suggest that you checkout a GM forum site and question if anyone had the same problem. It maybe a commom issue. I cann't understand why the high bill, it is on the end of the crank. I had my gear off a couple time, however that was on the cummins engine.

Product Category: /Truck Parts /Filters /Fuel Filters Item Number: V52 FF5320 Description: Fuel Filter Spin On Caterpillar Price: $12.08 Vendor:
cumminsfilt.gif
Manufacturer: Cummins Filtration Manufacturer Number: FF5320 Stock Type: Stocking Item Package Quantity: 1
  • Fuel, Spin-On
  • Largest OD: 93.47 mm (3.68 in)
  • Overall Height: 176.28 mm (6.94 in)
  • Thread Size: 1-14 UNS-2B
v52ff5320.JPG
Quantity: Select Item:

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
Fireflipper

Uncle Rog
I would definetly check with another dealer or call GM customer service and get the straight info. I recently took my 05 Duramax in for the engine missing. This was the third time, the first two times the dealer said they could find nothing wrong. Well on the third try they said it was the wires shorting together that fed the injectors, of course this was after the warranty had run out. I asked the service tech to call GM and see if it would be covered since it was not diagonsed while under warranty, he said that he could not do it. Long story short, I called GM and requested a refund for the repair and within 48 hours was told that I would be reimbursed. I had a check in about four weeks. It pays to go over the heads of some of these yahoos.

nhunter

Some of those "yahoos" are just to lazy to reach over, pick up the telephone and call to district manager at the risk of losing customers.

Uncle Rog

Thanks

Howdy, I drove to the dealer and met with the service manager, explained what I had been told and he assured me that the warranty did apply and the repair would be at no charge, however, I have signed onto the Duramax forum and I am not sure they are going after the right thing. I visited my rig yesterday and it is tore apart waitng for parts. I talked to the guy turning wrenches on her and he said the gear was deffinately the problem. Off the record I asked him if he would keep her or trade her out if it was his truck, he said he would give it one more try as it is a great truck and this "problem" is rare. We shall see....update later

Uncle Rog

Got My Truck Back

Howdy, it runs as well as ever, however they did not refill the coolant reservour and I need to tighten down the bolts on the turbo, but other than that it's back. Tomorrow I take it over to install the long range, 48 gal, tank......Thanks for the input everybody , I will study the owners manual a little more.