Bad Outlet?

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Help,
Our Microwave/convection oven quit working. I began troubleshooting and here is what I found:

- I checked my wall outlet and there is no AC Power at the outlet.
- I moved the plug of the microwave to another outlet and it is working
- I check the AC breaker and it looked okay. I reset the breaker for the microwave and two other outlets that had things plugged into them quit working. This indicated to me the breaker is okay as when I reset the breaker the other outlets on the same circuit started working again.
- I took the wall outlet for the microwave out and took it apart and metered the wires on the back and still had a 0 reading.
- I checked the wires connected to the breaker and they are connected and tight on the breaker.

My conclusion is the circuit is open somewhere between the back of the wall plug and the breaker.

Question - Is there a junction box somewhere between the plug and the breaker?
Is my troubleshooting correct? Any other ideas?

The microwave is not on a slideout but on a fixed wall next to the refrigerator also on a fixed wall.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If the microwave outlet is on the same breaker as two other outlets that are working, they're probably connected in parallel, with the micro outlet the last in the chain. If you didn't already, check the wires at the two outlets, especially the one upstream of the micro, to be sure nothing's worked loose.

hoefler

The micro is on a dedicated circuit. Recheck your breakers. Some breakers will trip and still look like they are OK, the best way to check it is to cycle it. It could be a bad breaker or a shorted line, if it is, it will feel different than the others when cycled.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The micro is on a dedicated circuit. Recheck your breakers. Some breakers will trip and still look like they are OK, the best way to check it is to cycle it. It could be a bad breaker or a shorted line, if it is, it will feel different than the others when cycled.

It should be, but he says when he shut off the breaker, two other outlets quit working. Since there's no wiring schematic available for any of us, who knows what guides the "electricians" when they put these rigs together.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Jim, remove the breaker panel and turn on the breaker. Check to see if you have power coming out of it. As mentioned you may have a bad breaker.

Peace
Dave

jmgratz

Update - There are ghosts in our RV. I plugged the microwave back into the ' bad outlet' the next day and it was working. There must be some sort of auto-reset. It has been working alright ever since. BTW - The microwave is not on a dedicated circuit - it is on the same circuit as the two other outlets under the cabinets above the sink. They say GFCI on them but they are not on the same GFCI as the bathroom GFCI and there is not a reset button on them that I can find. I have checked the breaker everyway I know how and it is alright too. Remember this is a "Classic" Landmark (2007) and is somewhat different than all of the newer ones. Anyway it is working now and is a non-issue until it happens again. Thanks everyone for all the help and suggestions. Next time I think I will just call Ghostbusters :)

caokgafamily

Jim,

I had ghost in my 07 3400 RL for some time. Things would work the quit, My problem ended up being where you plug the shore power into the year of the BH. I'm talking about the little white cover plug in. I took it all apart and discovered that one of the wires was loose and arcing out, green I think. Sometimes it would make contact. They cut it to short at the factory so it was preloaded to pull away, it was about 1/4 " shorter than the others.

Steve

jmgratz

FOLLOW-UP - It is fixed!!! Finally after checking and checking and checking I broke down and called the mobile RV service dude. He took 3 hours of looking but he found the problem. It was the GFCI outlet on the side of the bathroom sink cabinet. TJ (the repair guy) told me he thought the RV was wired weird as the Microwave, UDC and basement outlets were wired to a breaker labeled Microwave and then looped back through the GFCI outlet in the bathroom. The problem was the GFCI outlet had power coming in but not going out. So if you plugged something in it, it would work. It would even trip cutting power to that outlet but the refrigerator is not wired to the GFCI outlet. So after replacing the GFCI outlet everything is working. MORAL - just because the GFCI appears to be working good does not mean it is okay. Thanks to TJ of TJs Mobile RV Service in Riverside Texas. He is a Master Certified tech and knows his stuff. Nice to know since he came to the house and got it fixed without having to go in the shop. BTW - he accepted my extended warranty (RV Shield) and the only thing I had to pay out of pocket was the $50 deductible. YEAH!!! Happy Campers now.

TerryM

I just got home from taking my Road Warrior out for the first time and also discovered that three outlets would not work, two in the kitchen and one in the storage compartment. After checking all the fuses and breakers I had called it quits and was taking it in for service when my wife asked if the QFI outlet in the bathroom might have something to do with it. Imagine my suprise when she reset it, the other outlets also started working. Maybe this should be something to explain in the "first walk through" of the trailer.