Persistent Propane Problem

kbitts

We are new Bighorn owners - just approaching one month in our rig (fulltimers) and have not gone more than two days without a propane problem. Looking for someone who can help! Techs have numerous times checked the system, replacing tanks, hoses and regulators and all seems fine for a day or two and then the auto changeover goes to red and that is it. Are we dealing with inefficient techs at the service center or a factory defect???
Small adjustments needed - such as doors not closing properly, surround sound not working, cracked mirror (cracked on drive from dealer to rv park - 30 miles) and this propane issue has now worn our patience and we are really regretting our Bighorn purchase. Love the floor plan but not being able to cook and having to run space heaters isn't the way to live.

Thanks for any advice.

New and regretful owners Bighorn 3670RL

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Sorry to hear of your troubles. I think it would be more beneficial to you to post this in the Ask The Factory forum, that way Scott Tuttle or Colen Brady can take a look at this for you. I'm sure Heartland will help you get this corrected.

Good luck,

Mark

svd

May not be your problem, but on our first weekend out, we went thru a tank of propane, as indicated by the valve. I was sure we had a big leak somewhere but didn't find anything. When we returned home, I removed the emty tank to get it refilled. I noticed it seemed heavier than you would expect, but did think much more about it.

As luck would have it, I went to a regular propane dealer, instead of the local party store. As soon as the guy at the propane shop moved my tank, he said it was never filled properly. He opened it up in the yard, and I could not believe how long it vented air. He explained that a new tank needed to be purged (something the party store probably wouldn't do).

I watched him do this, by filling the tank with the vent open until he started to get some liquid vapor, then closed the vent and finished the fill. Everything has been good since. Are you sure they are connecting a tank with fuel in it? Yes, my dealer told me they were full and I was ready to go when I picked up the unit. Good luck!

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I was surprised as well regarding the amount of propane used when we use our furnace alone without supplemental electric heat (small space heater). We're in Corpus and we went through 2 tanks in about 8 days. We had a couple weeks of pretty cool weather. We went back to using a small space heater to help out. Also as "svd" indicated, some places don't fill the tanks to your advantage.
Regarding the wardrobe mirror, I discovered by accident, on one of the doors, one of the lower alignment pins was not locked in. This allowed the door to move quite a bit. I'm surprised we didn't lose a mirror too. I latched the pin and it's all good now.
I think most of us have had our share of minor/major issues with Heartland. Mine have been all minor thank God. I still love our Bighorn and don't think you'll find a better unit for the money. They ALL have issues.

timk

kibitts,

I had the same problem with our rig. If you have a small red regulator on the door side tank, try using the off door side tank first. From what I was able to find out the small red regulator reduces the tank pressure a bit then sends it to the line to the changeover valve, the off door tank has no such regulator. So my theory is, that the door side tank shows less pressure to the changeover valve. So the changeover valve thinks the door side tank is low.

Since I've been using the off door side first I have had not had the problem.

Good luck
TimK

mufflerman

Kbitts,
When the change over goes red are your tank(s) empty? I have a cyclone and the heat ducts are not sealed at all, so I heat the campground more than my R.V.
I go thought a bottle of propane in 2-3 days with very little use, Service at heartland says this is the way it's designed, However the plant manager at heartland say's it's supposed to be sealed up. pretty Bad when you get Two different answer's from one manufacturer, Just one of many issue's with this unit.
Good luck!!!