Automatic or Stick Shift???

cgunn

Hey guys....
I have to replace my Tow Vehicle..(Long Story)
I had a 2005 F-350 6.0 and it did a wonderful job.
I believe pulling my 2008 Bighorn 3055RL that I will have to stay
with a F-350 one ton because of the weight.
My main concern is two fold.
What is you'alls opinion on automatic vs manual tranny on towing??
Also am I right about needing a one ton for my Bighorn??

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Almost all that tow say it is best to get the Automatic. Better mileage, resale value and such. I use to have a 1966 Ford F250 Manual. It would rotate the world if it could get enough traction. However if you are in a situation, such on an incline, going up the mountains the Automatic is much better.

FWIW
BC

rvn4fun

If you want mileage, stick to a manual. I have two friends that have Dodge diesels, both tow same brand and size 5th wheel. The one with the manual gets about 3 to 4 miles more pulling. The one with the automatic says he won't ever buy a automatic again. I heard Ford doesn't make a automatic anymore for their diesels so I guess a person would have to buy a Dodge or bigger if he wanted a strait stick.

GOTTOYS

I don't think you can get a stick in anything but a new Dodge. Ford and GM no longer offer it in the HD trucks. Fuel mileage probably wouldn't be much different if at all. Same final drive ratios in transmission and same rear end gearing. Once the automatic drops into 2nd OD if you stay above 60mph or so it will seldom if ever downshift...Don

caissiel

Love my stick for towing, this is my last truck.

I traded for this truck because I had an auto in the previous truck that I was scared about it failing on me on a trip.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
When I wax nostalgic, I shift the selector into Manual mode and play with the button on the shift lever. That's about as "stick" as I care to get. I grew up with 3-on the tree and 4-on the floor. Don't want to regress.

cgunn

Thanks for all your input....
But you haven't answered my second question...
"Also am I right about needing a one ton for my Bighorn??"

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
My first Bighorn was a 3055RL also and I towed it with a GMC 2500 with the Duramax/Allison and it pulled just fine. I never got to take it to the mountains but I believe it would have been fine.

GOTTOYS

I had a three on the tree, four on the floor and I even had a fifth under the seat at times....Ahhh, but I digress...Don

rvn4fun

I think everyone is staying away from the second part of your question, because it has been discussed in the past and if you drive a half ton you can pull everything, a 3/4 ton the same, can pull everything, same as a ton pickup ect. In our case we had a F250 HD powerstroke equipped with the Banks power kit ect. We sold it because we were going to buy a bigger 5th wheel and we wanted safety while pulling ect. I think almost every pickup can pull a 5th wheel, you see them all the time front end way up in the air and back end almost dragging on the ground, so if they don't like that ride they add air shocks ect. We have a retired dealer friend here at the rv park and just the other day he said he couldn't believe anyone would attempt to pull the large 5th wheels with any thing less then a dually or bigger. So in my opinion, I would definetly go with a dually or bigger, but I am sure a lot of people would disagree. You just walk thru a big rv park and you won't believe some of the vehicles people pull with. And of course a rv dealer will never tell you, your tow vehicle is too small, he is selling campers.

Last edited:

hoefler

Check your tow ratings, you will find in most case, the auto is rated higher and with Dodge in particular, you can only get a 4.10 with the auto. And as far as a dually, you can never have too much truck. If you have towed in a stout side wind, you'll be glad you had the training wheels! Personally, I will never tow anything this big without duals!

porthole

Retired
If I was going to replace my 2500HD I would do it with a 350-3500. Rather have and not need then to need and not have.

Either way, I was fine with my 2500 and never experienced a problem, right up until I weighed the trailer. Didn't change anything physically, just my comfort level.

And I still think the CAT lied - but that is another story.

If you want mileage, stick to a manual. I have two friends that have Dodge diesels, both tow same brand and size 5th wheel. The one with the manual gets about 3 to 4 miles more pulling. The one with the automatic says he won't ever buy a automatic again. I heard Ford doesn't make a automatic anymore for their diesels so I guess a person would have to buy a Dodge or bigger if he wanted a strait stick.

Your two friends also could have had identical trucks - sticks or slush boxes and the results still could have been the same.

Don't know about the Dodge auto, but GM and Ford both use extensive torque converter lockup in the Tow/haul mode.

Locking the torque converter takes the stick advantage away.

Buford445

I pull my 3055 with a 2500 Dodge, I have not had a lot of miles pulling it but I do want to put bags in the rear end other that that it pulls it fine.
That being said IMHO if you can get a 350/3500 at a decant price it wouldn't hurt

cgunn

Thanks again for all the info...
I am going to stay with the 350.
I am looking at a couple of duallys.
Dang...two more of those expensive tires to buy!!!

cgunn

Well to update I have made the deal on a 2007 F-350 Dually,automatic...
Like you'all said..."You can't have too much truck!"
Now heres is another question...(I know I'm full of questions)
This truck has a gooseneck hitch so.......
Have any of you folks used or had any experience with a B&W Companion hitch
that sets right down into the gooseneck hole??
http://www.turnoverball.com/rv.asp#
I do have the fifth-wheel hitch out of my previous truck,but..
Looks like a pretty good idea to me.
Thanks for your input.....

caissiel

I was at the RV show last wednesday and checked all the 5th wheel hitches on display and and came back very satisfied with my old 15year old hitch.

I did notice that the turnover ball was loose in the bore and to me would be a source of chucking. I did discuse chucking with the guys at the display and they all had the solution for me with $$$$$ is the deal. I told them I don't know what chucking is because my old hitch and my 3/4 ton trucks I have owned never had any. The lighter truck will give a much better ride and if I had a heavier truck I would make some suspension modification. There is more comfort with a loaded truck then one that is more truck then you need.

And 2500 Lbs is no load for a ton truck.

lwmcguir

We have a few neighbors that have the companion and like them very well. Most of us just put on the GN adapter, void the warranty, and go camping. All makes and models of campers on no problems yet. We use on on the Augusta so we can tow it with the flat beds (with recessed GN balls) if we want to.

BW makes a good product. We use the Ford supplied ball and hitch in the F350 and it works well. Fits tight and no movement at all.