Anyone else into digital photography?

2010augusta

My wife and I love to take lots of pictures as we travel about and are starting to learn more and more about digital photography.

We have been using a Nikon Coolpix 8800 VR and have thousands of great pictures from it, but for a late Christmas present we decided to treat ourselves to a new camera.

After days of researching, we chose a Fujifilm Finepix HS10. It is a 10Mp unit with the equivalent of a 24mm wide angle to a 720mm zoom lens. That works out to a 30X zoom.

We just can't justify the cost of a DSLR, yet and fill that this Fuji is a good bridge camera.

We already have a good linear polarizer filter, a UV filter, lens hood and Tripods, are there any other accessories that are must haves? (CPL, Grad ND, NDs and such).

caissiel

My wife has droped so many cameras in the water that she is now using a waterproof Fugifilm WP. We do a lot of Kayaking and enjoy taking the Pics in the nature.
Last week we took under water pictures of Manatees.

porthole

Retired
Alan,

Of all the accessories, probably one of the single best would be a small external flash - if your camera has a hot shoe.

OK, I just looked it up and it appears it does have a hot shoe.
if the camera also uses TTL flash the external flash makes even more sense.

But basically it takes a load off the camera batteries, has better range, ability to bounce, and the further away the flash is from the lens the lower the red eye issues.

I use Nikons and have a pair of Nikon SB800 strobes. But for most flash work I carry a small (2 AA battery) pocket strobe.

http://www.adorama.com/NKSB400AF.ht...ping Site&utm_campaign=Other&utm_source=gbase

A lot of your "filter" questions can be handled either in camera or after the fact.

The UV is good for lens protection.

2010augusta

Okay, quick question about the speed-lights.

If the Fuji has TTL metering and auto-focus, can it take full advantage of the Nikon i-TTL flash.

Willym

Not strictly an accessory, but if your unit uses AA batteries then I really recommend Sanyo Eneloop rechargeables. These units hold their charge really well, they actually come ready to use. If there are long periods of camera non-use (it doesn't sound like Alan misses many days though!) you can still rely on these batteries being strong when you pick the camera up again. I carry a set of regular AA's for back up, but I've never had to use them.

porthole

Retired
Okay, quick question about the speed-lights.

If the Fuji has TTL metering and auto-focus, can it take full advantage of the Nikon i-TTL flash.

The Nikon Speed lights are going to be for the Nikon cameras.

Fuji flash or an accessory vendor, Vivtar, Sunpak etc.
If you get an external flash you want a "dedicated" TTL for your camera.