Have you ever been sent to the scales by law enforcement?

Have you ever been sent to the scales be law enforcement?

• Yes

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • No

Votes: 141 98.6%

• Total voters

funntheson

I am curious if any of you have ever been sent to the scales by a law enforcement officer. If so, was there a different primary reason that you were pulled over?
What was the outcome?

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Jodi, I suppose it could happen. I only know of 1 person that got a ticket for not having an adendum to his license. I do not know why they where stopped. I doubt that they where stopped just to check there license. Unless your pulling a 3585 with a Honda civic at 100 MPH, your chances of being stopped is slim. Someday I will get the adendum....but when you go to DMV they "have no clue" what you are talking about.

Last edited:

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
There are no laws that I know of that govern private vehicles and weights....only suggestions. I pull my rig with one of my commercial business trucks so I do have to watch it but have never been pulled over to weigh.

Hoosier Wolverine

With no intent to hi-jack the thread, does anyone know if one can go through a dot scale to get the trailer weighed? If so, what would be the result of being heavier than the trailer sticker weight?

funntheson

There are no laws that I know of that govern private vehicles and weights....only suggestions. I pull my rig with one of my commercial business trucks so I do have to watch it but have never been pulled over to weigh.

GVWR?
GCVR?
GAWR?

Can't you be issued a citation for exceeding these limits?

lwmcguir

We have been towing campers for 45 years and have never seen one getting weighed except when it was the owners choice. Really don't think it will become an issue unless some jurisdiction decides it may be another way of enhancing revenue.

GOTTOYS

With no intent to hi-jack the thread, does anyone know if one can go through a dot scale to get the trailer weighed? If so, what would be the result of being heavier than the trailer sticker weight?

I don't think you would be welcomed. Those are for Commercial vehicles. If you think you might have a problem why would you even consider it?...Don

Birchwood

I weighted my rig at a provincial scale in Canada with no problem.After some calculations after leaving the scales
I was over the GVWR of my truck but that wasn't a concern to the scales people.Probably the only time you would
have a problem being overloaded was if you caused an accident.
After I reviewed the weight values on my rig I upgraded my truck.

larryanddonnakeever

Past Oklahoma Chapter Leaders (Founding)
I drove a 18 wheeler for 15 years I have driven through some of the toughest states for weight enforcement, Virginia, Missouri, Tennessee, and others. I have never seen a 5th wheel, motor coach, or travel trailer pulled into a scale by law enforcement. I don't think any state has a weight limit for recreational vehicles. I know Oklahoma does't check them.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
In Texas, I believe that RV's used for personal use are exempted from being weighed. I know that in 34 years of law enforcement, I have never known of an RV being weighed.

Riverman

I have taken mine into Alberta DOT weigh scales.
They were more than happy to weigh and gave a printout...in exchange for us putting the slides out and giving them the "grand tour"
We just had to wait a couple minutes til commercial traffic subsided.
Maybe we just caught them on a good day?

noobee

Check out British Colombia.....

CS

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Considering the median age of most large RV owners, if the states started pulling RV's over for weighing and issued fines, there would be an AARP revolt the likes of which would frighten even the bravest politician. Not to mention what it would do to tourism dollars for the states foolish enough to think it could be another cash cow.

Checking the obviously overweight, tires flaring out, rubbing on the undercarriage, etc., is one thing. Just checking for the cash of it, is another.

Gaffer

I always weigh mine on the DOT roadside scale. But only when they are unattended. There is a digital read out visible for the driver that is always on.

bacaye

We use our local State truck scales for our camper. We usually do this once a year. They have always been really nice about it and if Bill happens to see the scale operator he will tell them when we will be out there. He usually takes the truck out first then we take the whole thing out..Bill pulls ahead and goes in for the results so he can compare to the previous year. He does it out of concern about how much weight is on the truck. So far no problems and we carry the results with us.. Barb

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
In the 31 years I spent in Law Enforcement the only times I ever pulled over an RV is to advise them they have left their antenna up or a baggage door open. I have never required one to get weighed. I have even noticed some transport drivers avoid scales as well.