Propane Auto Switch Over

Bob Vaughn

We were looking at the 3250ts today at the RV show in Tampa....My friend looked at the gas bottles and stated that there was no auto switch over.....I thought it came with auto switch over....What is the truth?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
As far as I know, they all have an auto switching regulator. There are at least two different versions.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If you can, take a picture of your regulator and post it. You could also contact Heartland directly, with your VIN, and ask them what was installed at the factory. As mentioned, there were two styles in use. The photo is from my 2009 BH3670. The other style had a square color indicator sitting on the top of the regulator housing.

View attachment 12032

djlogan

I have a 2011 Big Horn 3610 RE and my propane system is manual switchover. I guess there are pros and cons to each. Any comment (that would make me want to switch?)

jimtoo

You need to post a picture of your regulator. I am pretty sure they have been using auto switch overs for a long time. Just because it has a lever on it does not mean it is not automatic. If it has a lever and on the regulator it has a clear/green chamber with a red/green thing in it, it is auto change. The lever is so you can disconnect one of the tanks and still have one hooked up and being used. You point the lever to the tank you want to use first, then when it is empty, the area of clear/green will turn red. Change lever to the other side and it will turn green and you can disconnect and fill the empty tank.

Jim M

B

bwwalczak

2011 Big Countrys and 2011 Bighorns are all MANUAL LP change over. You will find a white box with a black switch on all models. Heartland has been doing this for several years.

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Now if that ain't the pits, seems could have saved a couple bucks elsewhere.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Mine has auto change but I use it manually. I only open the valve on one tank and when it runs out, I manually change it. That way, I'm not woke up in the middle of the night with no propane in freezing weather, in a snow storm. Wait a minute, why and I even here where the weather is that bad, my home has wheels...

The tanks do run out from time to time, and it always seems to be at night, but its really not that bad to get up and switch over and open the valve. Sure beats my DW having to wake me up to sweetly whisper that "honey, we're out of propane" and then I have to come back in and tell her that we're completely out.

JohnDar

2011 Big Countrys and 2011 Bighorns are all MANUAL LP change over. You will find a white box with a black switch on all models. Heartland has been doing this for several years.

Define "several years." As noted in my earlier post, my 2009 BH3670 has an automatic change over regulator. It actually works, too.

bacaye

I am sure our 2011 Big Country is manual...We found out the hard way at the Iowa Rally!!!!

funntheson

Yeah, I am pretty upset about the manual changeover myself, and even more upset at the way the heartland rep misrepresents the facts. As a matter of fact, the 2011 Bighorn manual states that auto changeover valves come standard in all Bighorns. It's even online still at their website as standard equipment.

I don't mind changes, but the communication surrounding them needs to improve. For example, the website should be updated prior to, or at the same time as the change.

Sorry to vent, but this has happened with a couple of items on my new rig.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I Just got my brand new 3670 2 weeks ago and it has this. Is this auto or manual? I assumed it was manual.

Attachments

• propane valve.jpg
    propane valve.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 53

JohnDar

I Just got my brand new 3670 2 weeks ago and it has this. Is this auto or manual? I assumed it was manual.
According to this ad from Amazon, it's an automatic change over regulator. My guess is that with both tanks open and the one the selector switch is pointing at goes empty, the regulator switches to tank #2 and the red button in the face pops out to indicate tank #1 is empty. You then move the selector over to tank #2, press in the button (or it moves on its own), and take tank #1 for refill.

http://www.amazon.com/Camco-59003-Double-Stage-Auto-Changeover-Regulator/dp/B0013TPOTE

Further research indicates that it has been discontinued by Camco, and it's replacement, 59005, is a piece of doo-doo. To replace it with a better (?) regulator, look to spend $50 or more. With a functioning auto-changeover regulator, you should not have to run out in the middle of the night to switch tanks if you make it a habit to check the indicator each day that you are using it to heat the trailer. I always leave both tanks open and take a look at the indicator in the afternoon, leaving plenty of time to get an empty tank refilled. Haven't run out with the BH yet.