t-shooting the converter

davelinde

It looks like my converter just gave up on me. No 12V anywhere.
I found a main AC breaker for it (not tripped). AC is fine.
I'm currently charging the battery with an external charger so I'll be able to operate the rig.

Are there other fuses buried in there somewhere? Looks like I need to take out the basement wall to even see the thing. It looks like this is added to the list of stuff that failed entirely too fast :(

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I'm sure others will chime in, but I think the converter has a longer than 1 year warranty. We had issues with ours (on the NT), Dealer sent it off to mfg... Turns out a wrongly wired plug blew it. We had to buy a new one, out of pocket. Good luck!

TT

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
There are 30 amp fuses on the converter. If they blow the converter will not work. They are user serviceable.

danemayer

My converter was either unplugged from the factory, or came unplugged early in our travels. I'd check that before examining the fuses on the converter.

davelinde

There are 30 amp fuses on the converter. If they blow the converter will not work. They are user serviceable.

There's an AC breaker I found and bunch of fuses in the load center (all good). But I have not found any 30A DC fuses (yet)... I am hoping this is the issue - cheaper and easier then replacing the whole thing for sure.

olcoon

You should be able to take the breaker box loose from the wall, and on our Elk Ridge, the converter is behind it.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The three ATC fuses are mounted on the converter itself, assuming you have a Progressive Dynamics one. In the photo, they're between the fan opening and the wire terminals.

View attachment 11620

davelinde

The three ATC fuses are mounted on the converter itself, assuming you have a Progressive Dynamics one. In the photo, they're between the fan opening and the wire terminals.

Awesome - thanx so much! There's no way I can see to get at that from the front - looks like I'm going in through the basement. At least now I know what I'm looking for! Again... I cannot figure out why so many serviceable items are buried behind the basement walls - guess it looks neater.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
My converter was either unplugged from the factory, or came unplugged early in our travels. I'd check that before examining the fuses on the converter.

The exact same thing happened to us! Must be a 2011 Landmark undocumented feature!

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Dave, also check the connections where the 12V wires leave the converter. Mine were loose and needed to be tightened (in addition to the converter being unplugged as mentioned above). You'll need a bright light to help troubleshoot behind the basement wall.

JohnDar

Initially, mine was installed right up against the rear basement wall and the fan/fuse side was up against it. If you can see the outlet in the first photo, that's where it was, under that pile of wires. I've since relocated it to a panel I mounted on the frame for the bedroom steps and can easily get at the fuses. The fan is near a grille in the "door" I made in the forward basement wall. My surge suppressor is also mounted above it on that panel, so both are out of the way of any possible water leaks.

I suppose I could relocate the outlet for the converter from the back wall, closer to the mount, so I can more easily remove it, should the need arise.
View attachment 11625View attachment 11623View attachment 11624

davelinde

yep John... that's pretty much where I found mine buried. I had to remove two basement panels and wrestle around the water lines to get at the fuses.

Current state of t-shooting: AC power is good at the outlet and the plug is firmly in. All three 25A fuses are good. DC power at outlet reads 0Volts (battery disconnected). Battery takes full charge with external charger.

I'd say this thing has died on me. Looks like 4 screws and 4 connections to take off and it's out. Now to decide what to use as the replacement and where to get it.

JohnDar

It's got a 2 year warranty on it from date of purchase of the RV, so maybe you should contact Progressive Dynamics on it.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]8. What is the term of the converter warranty?
The Progressive Dynamics new converter warranty is 2-years and is determined by the date of purchase of the RV.
[/FONT]​

davelinde

It's got a 2 year warranty on it from date of purchase of the RV, so maybe you should contact Progressive Dynamics on it.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]8. What is the term of the converter warranty?
The Progressive Dynamics new converter warranty is 2-years and is determined by the date of purchase of the RV.
[/FONT]​
COOL and thanks for looking that up for me - it was on my to do list. Bad news is we are around 30 months since purchase... :(

JohnDar

Give 'em a call anyways. Maybe they'll take pity and cut you some slack. This is also from their website:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2. If your RV Power Converter is out of warranty, we will repair or replace it with a Factory Serviced and Warranted unit. Please contact us at 269-781-4241 (option 3) for current repair prices.[/FONT]​

davelinde

Factory refurb cost me $100 + shipping/tax and shipping to return my failed unit. Seems the cheapest way to go, I'll give PD a second shot.

davidg

Steps to follow for checking converter once you have reached it.
1-Un plug converter check for 120 volts, check OK move on.
2-Check fuses on converter.
3-Plug converter back to 120 volts.
4-Disconnect posative wire at battery.
5-Disconnect posative wire at the rear of converter, check with meter need 13.5 volts
coming out of converter, check OK connect posative wire back to converter.
6-Check the posative wire running from converter back to battery any connections that
may be loose can cause a problem.
7- Clean battery termanels and connect wires back to battery.

Good luck these steps corrected my problem.

davelinde

failed at step 5 above.
Progressive Dynamics offers refurbished units with new warranty for $100 (with the core return). Ours arrived today. Installed easier than it came out... would have been dead simple if the plumbing wasn't in the way.
All working now. (just two more nuisance failures to fix and my rig will be back to 100% again)

busted2341

Ok after reading about the landmark, Can someone tell me where to look for the Bighorn 3055 converter. I seem to continue with dead batteries. I have replaced two of them in the last week and beleive the converter is probably the culpret. Any advise would really be nice..thanx....

JohnDar

Ok after reading about the landmark, Can someone tell me where to look for the Bighorn 3055 converter. I seem to continue with dead batteries. I have replaced two of them in the last week and beleive the converter is probably the culpret. Any advise would really be nice..thanx....

They are normally behind the basement walls, somewhere near the breaker panel/fuse panel mounts. Once you find it, I'd move it to a more accessible location, still behind the wall but not buried in the primeval forest of wires and plumbing.

If you look at my earlier post, #11, you can see where I initially found mine and where I moved it to.