Frozen Pipes Help!

kjm1970

I have a Eagle Ridge 35DSRL, I have it set up for winter usage. I have a heater in the front storage area, problem is in the kitchen there is no water coming out but in the bathroom only the cold water comes out no hot water. I am assuming its a pipe frozen from the water heater towards the front of the trailer. I am running on propane for heat and hot water. should I put a small electric heater under the cabinets to heat up that section of the pipes?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
kjm, winter camping/rv living can be a challenge. The best advice I can give is to get some sort of heat, even if it's only a good size light bulb, behind the storage area wall to help in the area where the most plumbing is. It houses the water pump, hot water heater and many hoses. If it gets cold enough, you might have a problem in that area. You will have to remove a few screws on that wall to remove a panel for access. It should be on the off door side just behind the docking center area.
Another suggestion would be to leave the lower cabinet doors where plumbing runs are, open a bit so warmer air will get in.

jnbhobe

A heater in the front storage area??? It should be behind the basement wall, if it has a fan point it toward the kitchen and open the kitchen cabinet doors so heat from the living area get in there. You are useing the water tank right ! Also check to see where the 2" heat run from the furnace is at behind the basement wall.

2010augusta

Another tip/trick is to remove the clamp holding the heat duct to the registers and let some of the ducts drop into the underbelly and blow the hot air on the affected pluming.

Wharton

We added protected bulbs behind the UDC, under the lavatory and under the kitchen sink. Connected a wire to a switch inside the trailer and turn it on in cold weather. We have done this for 15-20 years, generally only camp in the fall/winter, have never had a problem with anything freezing. One bonus is the bulb under the lavatory warms up the water in the pipe. Some warm water in the middle of the night, nice!!!

lwmcguir

Heat tapes with thermostats on the critical water lines have always worked for us. They are safe and without insulation give off a small amount of heat that works on some of the other plumbing. We just wrap and tape them in a few places.

Be careful with regular light bulbs as you an cause a fire easily.

Farm supply stores do sell the plug in thermostats that you can plug almost anything into which work well. We use there cube/stats on the Diesel engines to avoid having them on all the time. The come on a 30 and off at 35. You can buy different temperatures as well.