Big Hole in Roof

highrail

What a way to end our winter vacation! Who is to blame will be worked out later but right now I have three holes in the roof of my 3400RL plus a busted front cap. The big hole is about 12 in. by 16 in. and is thru the plywood and into the insulation. The rubber roof is tore about 3 ft. by 5 ft. What I need is where I can get a first class repair within 250 miles of Nashville, TN. Heartland has told me they will ship any repair shop the parts. Anyone had a roof repair yet? My insurance will cover the cost, less $500. deductable. I need a good roof repair not just a jack of all trades repair. Anyone out there who can help? Please!

Sad Tom in TN.

jpmorgan37

Tom;
First, I am so sorry. I can't imagine how this must make you feel. I would call Butch at RV's for Less in Knoxville and ask him if he had anyone that he would recommend. He probably could guide you to someone reputable. His number is: 865-521-9112.
Good Luck,
John

bsnider

BS & Ruth Ann
A tree reached out and tore up my roof!

:eek: I recently damaged the roof at the park and had Camping World in New Braunfels repair it. During the repair they sent it out to a different shop for the fiberglass portion of the repair. I have the GMAC insurance on it with the $500 deductable and I bought the insurance at that Camping World so it appeared to be a good fit. They did a good job, and I would recommend getting a large organization like Camping World to do the work so you have some recourse if things do not go well. Also, pick a place where there is a lot of activity so they can share the work and you will get the experts instead of "this is our first one". The told me that damaged roofs is very common. Apparently, I am not the only one that had to learn the hard way, how to handle that big rig. //heartlandowners.org/images/icons/icon11.gif

J

Jim_1899

Its good to hear that they did a good job on getting your RV back to what is was like before the hole in the roof. It seems that we always are looking in back of us or each side, but a tree hitting the roof is harder to avoid. I bet that it was a tough situation when it happened.

Enjoyed looking at your pictures from your signature link. I am an insurance agent too, but have to sell a lot more before retiring.

RGREEN

Roof Repair

highrail said:
What a way to end our winter vacation! Who is to blame will be worked out later but right now I have three holes in the roof of my 3400RL plus a busted front cap. The big hole is about 12 in. by 16 in. and is thru the plywood and into the insulation. The rubber roof is tore about 3 ft. by 5 ft. What I need is where I can get a first class repair within 250 miles of Nashville, TN. Heartland has told me they will ship any repair shop the parts. Anyone had a roof repair yet? My insurance will cover the cost, less $500. deductable. I need a good roof repair not just a jack of all trades repair. Anyone out there who can help? Please!

Sad Tom in TN.

Tom, Sorry to hear about your Damaged RV. My name is Ron Green with Recreational Specialties in Elkhart, IN. I Know we are more than 250 miles away but we do alot of complete re-roofs and front cap replacements every year. The reason we see so many of these types of job is because it can take a long time to get the parts needed outside of the Elkhart area to properly repair the damage you described. We are able to go directly over to the factory and get whatever parts are needed in a very timely fashion. If the Front cap has enough damage, it is better to install a new one instead of performing bodywork and paint to the damaged area which over time can re-appear as the fiberglass and paint fade and shrink at a different rate. Our average turnaround time on a job like this is usually under a week. While the unit is here we could also address any warranty issues you may have. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me at 574-266-7911.
Thanks,
Ronald Green

highrail

Thanks Ronald
I have benn talking to Camping World here in Nashville without a solution. I may indeed give you A call.

Tom in TN.

phranc

Highrail.. Rv's for less or R.S. in Elkhart are good choices. R.S. is close to the factory and only a days haul . Do you have a way to seal the roof with a temp patch to keep out water ?? I think 'Eternabond tape' might work.