Buying one Monday Jan 29

LSPTpr

Glad i found a site for these RV's. I have been looking for an upgrade from my current 5er (2005 Keystone Laredo) since May of 06. Had never heard of Heartland until went to Houma, La. RV show last weekend. Wife and I fell for the Bighorn 3600RL almost immediately. We discussed price and the dealer even offered me a price less than I expected. Before I could even say think about it, she was already pulling out the pen to sign. We order it tomarrow and now I am excited about it. Couldn't believe the amount of storage in the front and how there appeared to be a lot of quality in the unit. Looking forward to reading a lot of good threads on this unit and traveling again.

jbeletti

LSPTpr,

Hope you had little trouble finding this forum but glad you did find it. Congrats on the order. Let us know what options you got. Strongly consider dual pane windows.

Jim

K

Ken Washington

LSPTpr,
Welcome to the forum! I would suggest getting both A/C's with heat pumps. Also upgrade the awning to the Weather Pro awning. Good luck on your order!

Ken

LSPTpr

Ordered it today

Seems like i didnt get back on in time to see your advice. I ordered it this morning, only upgrades i did were the wheels, electric rear jacks and the euro-chairs. Didn't know anything about upgrading the awning but will check into that. Didn't think to highly of the dealer but the Heartland Regional rep is the one that got me sold on my unit. We go traveling at least 8-10 weeks of the year but the 5th is mostly an escape pod for my wife if she ever has to evacuate again (We live in New Orleans, I am a State Trooper, so she is on her own whenever that happens) so she gets what she wants as far as the 5th goes. Supposed to be about 4-6 weeks to get it and now counting down the days and already have a break-in weekend set-up.

jbeletti

LSPTpr,

Since you are placing a factory order through your dealer, you should be able to update the order if done right away.

I like Ken's idea of the electric Weather Pro awning. Since it's primarily your wife's rig (aren't they all!), she'll appreciate not having to pull the manual awning out. Push the button and it's done!

Best of luck to you and keep in touch,

Jim

HappyKayakers

Congrats on the new purchase. I'm sure you'll love it. And it should make a great 'escape pod'. We've been living in ours since April 06.

Cheryl

Get the second air. We didn't and regret it. We are going to have one put on this spring. I also like the idea of the automatic awning. We're thinking about changing that too.

dennylm

Stupid question here. We are on the verge of placing our order through Butch in Knoxville. I keep hearing reference to a/c with heat pump. Can I assume that is different from a/c with heat strips?

Can someone share with us the difference and the pros/cons of each?

Thanks!

ct0218

A heat pump is much better than an a/c with strips. It puts out a lot more heat than strips will, much more efficient too. I've had strips and was not impressed at all. The strips are nothing more that glow when a current is passed thru it, heating it. The heat pump operates just like the ones do in houses, a reverse cycle more or less. My 2 heat pumps really put out, and I've never had both heating at the same time--never needed that much. I would never have another fifth wheel without heat pumps.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Are the heat pumps even available on the Bighorn? They don't list them on the option sheet. I didn't ask, nor did our dealer mention them when we palaced our order. I know the original post said LSPTpr was ordering a Bighorn.. Just curious

jimtoo

I was told I could not get and they would not install the units with heat pumps on my new 08 3055. Don't know why they are not offered, and would like to know if it is something other than price.

L'l John

I had my dealer (Butch) RV's for Less, install a Duo-Therm lo-profile air conditioner with Heat Pump before I took delivery.
Now using it daily here in chilly south Texas. Heats the whole camper in moderately cold weather, plus provides a great noise machine for sleeping.
Would not want to be without it!

L'l John

dennylm said:
L'l John,

Did you have Butch put that in the bedroom as a second system, or replace the primary?

They put that in the bedroom. It is not ducted but it does do a good job of blowing air into the kitchen and living area.

LSPTpr

Cheryl, what was the difference with the second A/C. my last 5er only had one and kept the whole thing cold. Is the one that comes not big enought or enough air doesnt get throughout. Curious because my wife brought up a second a/c and then we didn;t do. dont want to hear about it later if the second a/c is that big of an improvement

Cheryl

We were in Branson, MO last July, with unbearable heat. Temps were 108 and 110 daily. Our single air conditioner kept the trailer at around 90. Way too hot. With my job, we have to do our traveling in the summer.