Flood Light Filled With Water

T

tgboyd

Has anyone had a outside flood light fill with water? We have had a lot of rain in Texas and I walked by the unit the other day and found the non entry side flood light full of water. Have to remove, replace, and recaulk.

K

Ken Washington

I had one do this on another trailer and nothing I did would stop the water from getting in. I ending up drilling a small hole in the bottom of the lens to let the water out.

Ken

ct0218

I haven't had that problem with my Landmark (yet), but on both previous trailers I did. I drilled holes in the bottom of every lens, no more holding water, no more corroded sockets. I have LED's now, but if they were regular bulbs, even without a problem, I would drill a small hole in the lenses. I had corrosion just from the high humidity.

dieselengineer

Charter Member
Yes, had both of my lights on each side with the water issue. Simple fix is to remove the lens and coat the rubber with a thin coat of RTV. Only use a small amount so you can remove the len at a later date.

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
Fireflipper

Rather than RV sealant, try Petroleum Jelly. It should help seal the cover and it will not get glued on. Try to pull it off and make sure it is tight enough so the wind doesn't take it off for you.

Loco

Yes I have had two of them leak and fill the lens with water. I drilled a 1/16 hole in the bottom of lens. This let any water out. We use that type of lights on fire trucks and they get water in them all the time. Putting a small hole in the bottom will let any water out. The seals on this type light get hard with heat and leak

T

tgboyd

I finally got time to take off the lens and look at it today. The lens has two small drain slots built into the edge that should be at the bottom of the lens. The factory had installed the lens upside down so the water couldn't get out. It should be OK now.