Has anyone ever pulled a Monticello w/Chevy 2500HD

I was wandering if anyone has pulled a Landmark Monticello with a 2500HD Chevrloet? The truck is a 2006 2500HD 6.6 Turbo Duramax/Allison Trans. CrewCab 4x4 shortbed. I know already that I'll be over on my weight ratings, but can it pull the trailer regardless? I would like to here your input. Some people said all I really need to do is add the extra leaf spring and upgrade my tires. Is that true? Thank You:confused:

nhunter

I wouldn't even try and pull it will my 1 ton SRW. Sure it will pull it but I doubt you would get it stopped. And god forbid you were ever in a wreck with that setup as I'm sure the would be legal issues. I know I'm under my weight limit and sometimes wish I had more truck. I would buy a bigger truck or a smaller trailer. Just my thoughts

I forgot to add.

I forgot to add that I will only be moving it about 4 times a year. Probably no more than 3,000 to 5,000 miles. It will be set up for 3 months at a time.

nhunter

I still stand by my original post. You never know when something will happen even if it's not your fault they still might be able to come after you. I know it costs a lot of money for a new pickup but you might be able to trade yours in on a used 1 ton. The really isn't that much difference in the ride. I hope your salesman didn't tell you that you could pull anything like 75% of them do.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
We were only 250 to 300# over GVW with our 2500HD and it pulled fine BUT. I certainly noticed the stopping power was limited. We made it south with no issues but I bought a 3500 as soon as the opportunity arrived. We can tell the difference. Larger surface area on the pads and bigger calipers.

jpmorgan37

If you decide to drive through Pennsylvania, be prepared to spend some time parked while the State Troopers observe the amount of weight that you are offloading and, oh yeah, giving you a receipt for your traffic citation. Yes, your Duramax/Allison will pull it, but it will sure be fun on a steep winding downhill. Eight tons pushing a 3/4 ton truck just don't get it. I know, I've been there.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Traveltime,
While I am a proud owner of a Chevy Silverado 2500HD crew cab, 4x4 truck I would definitely not consider towing something as big as a Monticello with it. You really should consider going to a medium duty Kodiak 4500. I keep saying (dreaming) that if we were to decide to go full time and travel that the Kodiak would be the way to go. Even if we just kept our Bighorn I would still want more truck to pull AND stop with. For the amount of weight your are going to be pulling I do not see how you could feel comfortable doing it with just a 2500HD especially for the amount of miles you had referred to.

Anyway, just my 2-cents worth.

Good Luck,

Mark

dennylm

Traveltime my friend,

You're getting great advice from many experienced folks. Determine what your max payload in your bed is. That's your max pin weight. If your pin is more, use air bags but then determine the max weight for your rear axle and tires. They will be the next closest thing to become a liability. If those are okay, determine what the max 5th wheel pulling weight is for your truck. If over that limit, your rig is dangerous. Determine what your max combined weight is for your truck and trailer. If over that limit, your rig is dangerous.

I don't mean to sound like a stick-in-the-mud here, but yes, I can take a 2500 and pull a FIFTY-thousand pound trailer if I can take all the time in the world to get it up to speed, don't have to do it very often and can always be assured of having thousands of feet to bring it to a stop (and I don't mean thousands of feet down hill. :) )

Stay within your engineered limits and you'll sleep a WHOLE lot better!

Just MHO! :)

dieselengineer

Charter Member
If you are only going to move the coach 4 times a year, rent a big truck! As stated before, in PA they will pull you over and you will not move the rig until the weight is below the numbers on the truck door. Oh, they will also give you a big ticket for all your troubles.

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
Fireflipper

I will only say the same as every one else as. Yes, it will pull it, but the wieght is just to much. A Monticello maxes out at about 18,000. You are probably a die hard Chevy man like me, but travel life magazine just had an article on the new 450 Fords. Total pulling capacity is 33,000 lbs. Price will proba bly be up eith the Kodiak but any Ford dealer should be able to repair if nessacary. Keep up informed, and travel safe.

P.S. I believe there was a link to a post about an RV'er in California who had an accident, it reslulted in a death. The CHP weighed everything, determined he was over wieght and gave him a heavy citation. The end result was law suit, and of course he lost, everything. He now is in debt up to his eyeballs to pay off the law suits. maybe Jim can recall the link to refresh every ones minds. Its SCARY !!!!!!

Tom of Ypsi

My bet is before you even put anything in the trailer or truck you are going to be 1,000# over weight. You definetly need a bigger truck with bigger brakes. Let us know what you decide to do.

ct0218

I pull a Mt. Rushmore that weighs a couple thousand less, and I'm using a dually. I wouldn't want to pull anything bigger, that's for sure! Like Dieselengineer said, rent a truck, or pay someone to pull it. It might turn out to be a bargain that way.

nhunter

Dennylm - "Determine what your max payload in your bed is. That's your max pin weight. If your pin is more, use air bags but then determine the max weight for your rear axle and tires. They will be the next closest thing to become a liability. "

Just an FYI adding airbags does not increase your payload capacity.

When I weigh my rig I load up truck with fuel, momma, baby, chocolate lab and the kitty and anything else to be in box. Then weigh the truck. Subtract the weight of loaded pickup from the gross vehicle weight rating. That will give me my max allowable pin weight. Then hook on to loaded trailer. Weigh truck- front and rear and each axle on trailer. I found I was under weight on all axles but over on my Gross Combined Weight Rating by 400lbs. There for I don't tow with a loaded water tank (700lbs) and am barely under weight, but I sleep at night.

We have a 3600RL rated @ 16000lbs and a 2006 Ford F-350 SRW 4x4 rated for 11400lbs for a grand total of 27400 of axle weight but am limited to GCWR of 23500lbs.

dennylm

nhunter,

Ahhh,, once again I may have been led astray by eager sales folks! I was told by the Ford dealer where I bought my truck that my max payload was based on the factory suspension as is, and that using air bags would let me exceed that (somewhat) as long as I didn't exceed the tire or axle max's.

Suddenly, pin weight, which I thought wasn't an issue for me, is now back in the spotlight before I make my purchase. :(

Thanks nhunter. I appreciate the info! :)

nhunter

You just can't trust them salesmen. They told me with my truck I could pull anything on the lot. Airbags may help to smooth out the ride / level the truck but I think that is it. That is the good thing about this site is lots of HONEST knowedge not someone trying to sell you something. My pin weight is around 2000lbs and my buddy has a 36' Montana quad slide and his is only 1200lbs and he has way more stuff in it.

jpmorgan37

[FONT=Arial,]This was in this months issue from Air Safe Hitches. It does a pretty good job of letting you know if your Tow Vehicle is within it's design specifications.

GVWR WORKSHEET
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,]HOW TO TELL IF YOUR VEHICLE EXCEEDS ITS GROSS VEHICLE WEIGHT RATING...

Determine the GVWR by looking on the label located on the driver's door post of most vehicles.

Enter that figure into the table below.

Determine the NET WEIGHT by taking an unloaded vehicle to a public scale and getting it weighed.

Enter the weight into the table below.

GVWR ______________________
(Minus) NET WEIGHT - _____________________
Maximum Allowable Load = ______________________
Load to be Carried = - ____________________

Add all of the following items:

Weight of passengers carried
Weight of all fuel, water, oil and equipment (tools, etc.)
Weight of all after-market items installed
Weight of any cargo
Weight of other miscellaneous items to be carried

Enter the total of all the above to the table above in "Load to be Carried".

Subtract the "Load to be Carried" from the "Maximum Allowable Load".

If the "Maximum Allowable Load" will be exceeded, you must reduce the weight of the "Load to be Carried" in order to remain in compliance with your vehicle's Gross Vehicle Weight Rating.

For optimum results, reduce the "Maximum Allowable Load" to 75% of the maximum and stay within that limit to allow a margin of safety.

When integrating a tow vehicle with a trailer, either a fiver or travel trailer, add the GVWR of the trailer with the GVWR of the tow vehicle. If they add up to more than the GCWR of the tow vehicle it's a bad match. The only solution is to pick a lighter trailer or a bigger tow vehicle. The same applies to a self contained unit and a towed unit, either four wheels down or on a dolly.

Hope this helps.

John
[/FONT]

Would I be better off with a Bighorn 3600RL?

Thank you for the info. on the Monticello. I was wandering do you think I would be better off with a Bighorn 3600RL?:)