options on 3670

madigand

Is it possible to order from the factory with dual pane windows, dual AC's (both of them ducted) with heat pumps and controlled by 1 thermostat with dual zones? The dealer was unsure of the AC question.
Thanks Dan

K

Ken Washington

Hi Dan,
I am sure that the factory will answer real soon and the answer will be no! I tried to get this but was told that it wasn't possible.

Ken

J

Jim_1899

I have a 2006 Bighorn 3500 which is 36 feet long. The first thing I wanted to add was a second air conditioner, which the dealer told me they would do at a low cost. I did not have it done before delivery because I had a vacation lined up to go on and did not want to wait.

Long story short was that I found that even in very hot weather our Bighorn cools down great in in 95 degree summer heat. So I have not added the second unit. Just something for you to think about, you might want to wait and see but make the deal with the price now.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Our single air unit has worked well too. We got our unit prepped for the front A/C just in case but haven't needed it.Also, it's an easy install at a later date because the front unit does not get ducted. It only cools the bedroom except for what transfers downhill into the living area.

madigand

Thanks for the replys. It seems that I think I needed 2 AC's especially when it is over 95 outside. I think that the heat pump woulp help save some propane on the cooler nights. With both being ducted would help more evenly cool/heat unit. Just my thoughts. Getting closer to making my final decision. Again thanks for the advice all :)

tcbrady

Dan,

You can order from the factory with dual pane windows. Bighorn does offer a 2nd low profile 13.5 BTU A/C but it is not ducted. A heat pump is not available directly from the factory. Ask your dealer and they might be able to get these special items done for you through their service center.

thanks, Coley

Scott

Thought I'd chime in. A second A/C is always nice for those who have the money. It really helps relieve the load of the main A/C - extending its life, as well as increasing its energy efficiency. The second A/C, located over the bed, is not ducted because it runs very efficiently straight down into the bedroom/bath area, basically cooling the entire upper deck of the fifth wheel. Yes, a heat-pump or even a heat strip is nice for the bedroom A/C, especially to provide just enough extra heat as to not require the furnace to kick in. Don't take this wrong, for all of you who are happy with your one A/C, there are just still a lot of people who really want it cold in their RVs and in these big, three and four slideout fifth wheel floorplans, one is not always enough, especially down South.
ST

K

Ken Washington

I will never have another fifth wheel with out two A/C's and a heat pump! I have found that the heat pump does a good job heating the whole trailer and helps out a lot with the cooling! You will be glad that you put the second A/C heat pump in!

Ken

jpmorgan37

We run our bedroom AC/heat pump during the day with the vents blowing down into the main living area and it takes a big load off of the main unit and helps keep the noise level down in the living area. I'm with you, Ken. Two AC's with heat pumps is the only way for us.
John

madigand

Hey Guys, Thanks for all the info. I am convinced that 2 AC's are the way to go. Guess have to deal with a heat pump in bedroom area only. Thanks for the info and thoughts. Hope to settle down and get a bid sheet together to send to some dealers to try and get the best price around. I really appreciate Heartlands comment and support as shown on this forum.

FYI Too bad that the Landmarks do not have this style floor plan. Then the decision would be a no brainer. Just a thought

Again "Thanks for the ideas and input"

Dan

J

Jim_1899

When I purchased my Bighorn last year in April 2006 on of my 5th post, and before my first trip in my Bighorn. I ask advice on a second air conditioner.

After reading the information on the forum I was concerned that I would need a 2nd air conditioner. My dealer told me that they did not feel it was needed, but to try it out with just one and if needed they would install it for me.

I do agree with Scott and my dealer both. What Scott said was that it depends on the area that you live, which is so true. Most of our camping is in the woods with shade or in the mountains. I did what my dealer suggested and the first summer just having the one unit did work fine.

Scott, I am glad to see you jump in and make recommendations, I value your opinion. Thanks for taking the time to make this forum better.

Last edited: