landing question

Sean521

I'm concerned about the curbside landing on the front of my 3950. I just set up camp and noticed that particular leg is slanted inward a bit, estimated 3 degrees. The site is an inch or so higher on the roadside. I didn't notice this slant before at any of the 3 sites I was at before or at the dealership. Could this be due to the uneven ground and is the landing designed to flex like this? There has been no impacts or another condition I think that could have caused this. Thanks for your help.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Your profile does not state what model or year of you rig. Do you have hydraulic or electric front landing gear?

Peace
Dave

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I think the further you extend a leg, the more it can deflect (aka. wobble). This is due to decreased support from the upper leg tube. If you're higher on the road side, then your curbside leg is extended further so you may have induced a "lean" while leveling. But it's always a good idea to check the mounting from time to time. Look at the paint on it to see if there's been any movement or loosening.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
At our storage facility, we noticed a 5ver that seemed to be 'leaning'. Turns out one of their legs they did not get the pin lock secured. one leg was collapsing! Turned out it collapsed all the way down over the course of a few months, while the other leg sank into the dirt. I don't know how they got it out, but the 5ver is no longer there now.

Attachments

• IMG_0531.jpg
    IMG_0531.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 71

caissiel

That tells me that we should always level the trailer side to side in order not to introduce any side forces on the landing gear.
The upper tube on my trailer is anchored fairly high and there might be some flexing if all the front weight of the RV is on the low side.
I have seem some storing the trailer with a lean to one side often, I would think it would be asking for trouble.

Sean521

Thanks to all! The rig was level side to side before I lowered the front landing. I found no breaks in the welding, chips in the paint, loose bolts or fittings, or anything else that would lead me to think this is anything more than normal behavior for a fully extended landing. I will position some wood underneath both sides so that they are not extended as far.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Thanks to all! The rig was level side to side before I lowered the front landing. I found no breaks in the welding, chips in the paint, loose bolts or fittings, or anything else that would lead me to think this is anything more than normal behavior for a fully extended landing. I will position some wood underneath both sides so that they are not extended as far.

I put these pads under my jacks and rear stabilizers, even though I've got Elephant feet on them. Reduces the extension needed by about 4 1/2" and are very stable. They're three 12" lengths of 4x4 held together by the 5/4 planking screwed to them.

View attachment 11648

jpajax

When you hook up too the tv and take the weight off the legs look and see if they are bent or go back stright. If goes back stright something is loose.