ToyHauler Extreme

truknutt

Committed Member
There's been some talk of the possibility/feasibility of a Landmark ToyHauler from the community for some time now. Well I found pics posted on the PowerStroke.org forum by a guy who obviously just couldn't wait for the factories to build his concept.

1st Photo: " with the help of friends & family I built a 48' gooseneck to set the 5er on and a 16' deck to haul the Jeep. Bumper to tail it's 65'. If you have to ask why....we wanted a nice camper capable of hauling a 5500lb Jeep, plus 2000lbs ish of gear, food clothes, etc."

2nd Photo: "weight before my wife packs it full of food and clothes, and I still need to add all the jeep spare parts."

Attachments

• Toyhauler3.jpg
    Toyhauler3.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 127
  • Toyhauler3 weight.jpg
    Toyhauler3 weight.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 110

BruteForce

Interesting concept, but I think he would have been better served by leaving axles/wheels under the trailer. Seems to me, he may be asking for additional frame stress. Why couldn't he just have reinforced the rear of the trailer and welded on a receiver hitch to tow his jeep behind? I would think either scenario creates the same legal issues (max length, etc).

2010augusta

You don't want the jeep on the ground for a couple reason.

1. jeep tires are expensive and wear fast.
2. if they do extreme off-roading, there is always a good chance for mechanical failure that could keep the jeep from rolling on the road, (bent suspension, bent steering, bent wheels, ect)

BruteForce

I didn't mean to imply that he should be dragging the jeep. He could have simply put a receiver on the trailer, connected his Jeep trailer and towed. It's pretty common out here to see a ~36 or so foot Toy Hauler towing a boat or Jeep or ATV trailer behind.

porthole

Retired
Well with a relatively flat frame rail once the suspension is shouldn't be too difficulty if you have the machinery to lift the coach and drop it on the chassis.
Have to wonder why he stopped where he did and didn't re-trim the wheel wells????

Guess I need to explore PS.org more and not stick to one section.

Bighurt

I guy in Florida and myself have been discussing just such a concept.

Although we intend to haul our with the bigger truck in my signature I have yet to acquire.

I would have modded the body to remove the wheel wells.

Bighurt

Interesting concept, but I think he would have been better served by leaving axles/wheels under the trailer. Seems to me, he may be asking for additional frame stress. Why couldn't he just have reinforced the rear of the trailer and welded on a receiver hitch to tow his jeep behind? I would think either scenario creates the same legal issues (max length, etc).

He just did a frame off the Dutchmen onto the goose frame. He didn't move the wheels at all.

caissiel

I would think he build a well balanced trailer and took care of the possible loads to setup the pin weight. The frame on a trailer could be the heaviest part. I would hope he took care of removing the frame on the 5th wheel before setting it up on the new 5th wheel.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Interesting concept. I wish we had a smaller vehicle that we could use tto just drive around town and on day trips.

One good reason for not towing the jeep behind the trailer is many places it is not leagal to doouble tow. If you double tow a trailer you better have a way move it. With just a 4 wheeler your spouse could drive it until you get to another area and then hook up again and see if you can get away with it again.

Just my thoughts.
BC

Bighurt

this is one of my favorite extreme toyhauler builds

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=891668

brett

Way cool. Little spendy buying and slicing a new fiver. You can find salvaged ones real cheap... most of the time the damage is purely cosmetic, there are a few bad apples though.

In any case I'd almost prefer a fully enclosed toy hauler. Cuts down on wind turbulence.

Would be cool to see someone take a toy hauler and do something similar. Then you get a garage and a rear deck.

I think the biggest goose I've seen was 53'.

Last edited: