Travel Trailer Comparison Shopping

thebbqguy

I attended the Tampa RV Super Show today and just returned with a handful of brochures. RV Shows are great. I enjoyed comparing several manufacturers side-by-side.

I spent a lot of time looking at the Edge and the MPG today. I'm also looking at some other manufacturers, but I love the overall looks of the Edge.

Let me say that the selection of small, lightweight travel trailers loaded with options is much larger than it was 2 years ago when we last attended the show. There are 6 or 7 travel trailers that remain on my shopping list, but 3 or 4 have the edge of those.

I'm concerned about towing the Edge with a light duty SUV or vehicles with unibody construction. Most of the smaller sized SUVs cap the towing at 5,000 lbs. I like to leave a little leeway for my own peace of mind. I've owned F-150s and 2004 Explorer with towing ratings at or above 7,000 lbs. The trouble is, I don't want to buy the heavier tow vehicles if I'm only towing 15% of the time or less (unless it's absolutely necessary).

I'd love to hear from some people towing the Edge with lighter duty vehicles besides a 1/2 ton pick-up truck (if it's even adviseable or possible). As an example, the new 2011 Ford Explorer caps the tongue weight at 500 lbs and gross towing weight at 5,000 lbs. The 2011 Explorer has 290 hp and 255 torque in the new V6. It is a unibody, unlike the previous Explorer design.

I'd appreciate any suggestions/comments.

I know I can down size to the MPG, but we like the Edge so much more. I also like the extra safety of a tandem axle versus single axle in the case of a flat tire.

jimtoo

Hi thebbqguy,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

I think your making a great choice with the Edge. Dual axles, more room and so many more items. I cannot help with the specifics of towing, but your owners manual for your vehicle should give the max tow rating.

I am moving this thread over to the Edge area where some of the other Edge owners will give you more information.

Enjoy the forum and hopefully you will become part of our Heartland Family.

Jim M

Check out my threads in the general area about towing the M22. I have a BMW X5 4.4i with air suspension and 6K tow rating. We tow over high mountain passes and the M22 tows extremely well and feels like there's always a good margin of safety. Pickups are not the final word and only answer with respect to towing lightlight travel trailers.

thebbqguy

Thanks for the reply. I found a couple of pictures you posted.

I used to tow a cargo trailer with an under powered vehicle and it killed us on most any kind of grade, but it was much heavier (5,500 lbs). We used a WDH on our 4.6L Explorer. It was fine on flat ground.

I love the Edge M19, but I think I'll feel better seeing some other unibody tow vehicles accounts and experiences to build additional confidence.

Last edited:

pegmikef

Its not a unibody, but I towed my Edge M21 just fine with my F150, 4.6 L 3v Super Crew truck over all types of terrain. My wife's expedition is actually better, but it is a 5.4 L.

thebbqguy

PegMikeF,

I am trying to plan ahead so that I don't regret my purchase later. Although I now own a 4.6L, I don't plan to own it forever. The 2011 Explorer, which I plan to purchase in the future, is a unibody. I have no doubt that the power will be sufficient, because the 2011 Explorer will actually have more power than my 2004 Explorer 4.6L if I'm not mistaken.

I can always buy a smaller trailer, but I like the design, features, and looks of the Edge M17, M18, and M19. I could buy a bigger tow vehicle, but after 13 years of daily commuting in an F-150 I'd like a little better gas mileage and room for passengers for the 90% of the time I'm not towing.

caissiel

I my years of RV ownership I have talk to so many couples that were never satisfied with their choice of trailer when they buy the unit to match the TV. My suggestion is to buy the RV and then chose the TV to tow it.

I use to tow a 5600Lbs trailer with a Ranger and travelled on long trips with it. We now have a 15500 Lbs trailer and the truck has approximatly the same towing MPG and a little less while not towing.

Nissan and toyota will be having diesels soon because their sales volume has to be increased, and then they will have the ideal towing vehicle for small trailers. The Big 3 will never come out with one because of the profit they loose on the Heavy duties.

mikeyy53

We towed our M21 with a TrailBlazer and an Envoy XL, both had 6 cyl engines. Neded WDH on both SUV's. Had no issues except for hills. Both were rated at 5000lbs towing capacity.