Hitch question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heed

I am about to purchase a 3000RK. I have an F-150 with a 6.5 ft bed. I understand the Sundance line has the 88 deg turning radius. Where should I have the fifth wheel hitch mounted in the bed of the truck to maintain that 88 deg ability? Should the kingpin of the RV be directly over the axle or any amount forward or back of it?

Thanks

Duramax1

Go to a reputable installer and they will know what to do because they are liable in the event of a mistake.

There are instructions that come with the kits, but specialized equipment is required for the installation so I cannot imagine that you are planning to do this yourself, otherwise you would be familiar with what should be done.

GOTTOYS

That's a big trailer for a small truck. You might want to reconsider. The truck will pull it, but I think you will be WAY over the cargo capcity for it. Check your pin weight vs; your available capacity. Never mind what the salesmen said...they're there to sell trailers. But to answer your question the pin is usually set over the center of the axle....Don

porthole

Retired
Looked in the towing guide I had handy, largest F150 5th wheel tow capacity I could find was 9500 pounds.
Many many people exceed the tow capacity of their trucks, but most that do that are using at least a 250 -2500 series truck, which is more truck like. The 150 -1500's are meant to be more car like.

More then likely you will be over your limit by the time you get just your trailer camping accessories loaded (9200 dry weight).

The position for the hitch in the truck is designed to fit in the "correct" area. You will find that most kits only mount where they need to, meaning the frame brackets are designed to use existing holes (most of the time).

You can do it yourself, no special tools are needed. But if you have to drill any holes (sometimes one on each side) the 5/8" drill bit can be a challenge.

Even with the 88 turn you may still need a sliding hitch. Best to find someone with your model truck and a similar trailer.

jddugan

I just installed Curt frame brackets for my hitch in my 2011 Silverado. The instructions stated the pin would be 1" ahead of the axle centerline when installed. This used factory holes so there was no question as to where to mount it.

buckeyebob

it sounds like you will be struggling with this 150.the salesmen will lie or fudge a lot when they tell you this truck will pull that camper!!!!!!!!you will probably pull the guts out of your truck,not to mention suspension issues.you dont want to drive down the road with that "driving on ice "feeling.i know because i pulled a 6000 lb trailer with a 1500 chevy,3:42 rear,5.3 litre engine 6500 miles to vegas and back from ohio.fine on flat roads ,**** in the hills!!horrible in the mountains.you are pulling 4000 more in weight,plus all the weight of pin in your bed.i had a weight dist.hitch so no weight on bed itself.allways have more truck than you need for safety.sorry if this post ruins your ideas,but reallity would eventually do that on the road. buckeyebob

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I wouldn't consider using the F150 to pull this 5th wheel. You will be seriously over the trucks weight capacity.

heed71

Thanks to those that answered the question I asked. I am hesitant to respond to the truck size versus trailer size. I have mentioned this on other forums and everyone is an expert, yet I got very wide ranging answers. My F-150 , as equipped, is rated to tow 11,100 lbs. the 3000 RK is about 9000lbs dry. I had a travel trailer before so I know how much stuff I take. I won't ever be near the 3000Rk's cargo capacity...if I want that , it's time to stop camping and stay in hotels. So I am still within ratings (but many question even the manufacturers ratings). I am still within GCWR. I will be a few hundred lbs over on kingpin weight...so I call Ford. They could have told me to sell the 150 and buy a 250, but they didn't. They recommended adding air bags , upgrading to LT tires and avoid regular trips in the Rockies. They also suggested regularly checking for abnormal wear. I travel below the speed limit when towing, am no where near the Rockies and won't be going there and my average trips are 2-3 hours in length. So I will try the 150 and see what actually happens. While I appreciate users points of view, if F-150 can't tow what it's published ratings is, I can go after Ford in court. If an anonymous user on a forum tells me I can't pull it with a F-150 and I can, I can't really go after them in court and will have spent a lot of extra money.

Many suggest I just go out and get a 250....well, yeah I will do that right after I just go out and win the lottery.

Sorry to blather on, but I had give serious consideration to the Manufacturer because they design and build them and it's worth it to try a few add ons to see if I can make it work.

Flame away if it makes you feel better...lol

6.7powerstroke

You are WAY WAY overweight. Air bags, LT tires, they do absolutely nothing for your legal weight capacity of that truck. That camper will be 10,500 pounds easy when you load it up. Don't believe me? Run it on the scale, costs $9. Camping gear (towels, sheets, food, clothes, firewood, batteries, propane, etc etc adds up FAST. You need to read the fine print on the tow ratings *assumes 2wd, regular cab, stripped with roll down windows, only driver of 150 pounds. Unless you are 150 pounds, don't carry gasoline and are not taking anyone camping with you, this is not accurate. The tow capacities are calculated using the lightest configuration of the truck empty and subtracting it from the GVWR of the truck. That truck is not designed to carry that amount of weight, that 5th wheel will grossly overload the rear axle capacity of that truck. The camper sales guys are trying to make a sale, I have had them tell me to go ahead and pull a tri-axle toy hauler with a F250 because "everyone does it". Not flaming away, just concerned for your safety and those around you as that is way too much camper for a 1/2 ton truck.

Warnerelli

Semper Fi
Lots of good advice has been given here . . . experienced advice. Best I saw was alway's have more truck than you need.

buckeyebob

my friend we mean you no harm,and are not experts,however we have experienced the reality of driving down the road with a load that over exceeds physical limitations of our tow vehicle.please do yourself a favor and tow alone on untraveled road so when this" accident waiting to happen"manifests itself, you will not endanger your family or others.you asked questions on the forum and we answered honestly with your best interests and safety as our top concern.why would you go to the touble of asking questions ,when you wont accept our honest answers?good luck and may the force be with you!!buckeyebob

heed71

You need to look at the Ford ratings a bit closer, they give two ratings for every configuration. You don't know my truck configuration. My truck is rated to tow 11, 100 lbs, so unless you own Ford, your assessment is pretty inaccurate. Also why would I carry firewood? It's heavy...it's cheaper to buy it where I am going than for the gas to haul it.
Again, if you read my note, I have weighed my stuff. I know how much I take
I have as much experience as anyone here, just a difference of opinion

Buckeye...the question I asked was about where to mount the fifth wheel hitch. Instead, 80% of the replies were comments, unrelated about whether I should tow it with a F-150, and based on alot of incorrect assumptions. It's like asking a question about the sun and everyone telling me about the moon.

Experience is great but means nothing to me without facts to back it up, accurate ones

2010augusta

Rob, since the install kit will determine where the hitch mounts, and that answers your question, I'm shutting this thread down since it is not staying on topic.

If the Ford will tow 11.100, let the guy tow 11,100.

Status
Not open for further replies.