Backup Camera connection from TV to 5th wheel

bsnider

BS & Ruth Ann
:confused: I just ordered and received a backup camera system (56-LCD-BLK) from rvcams.com and it looks real good. Including shipping, I paid less then $500 for the whole thing.

My question concerns the connection between the trailer and the tow vehicle. Tim at RV Cam supplied me with their heavy-duty disconnect kit which is a heavy coiled cable which plugs into a plug on the trailer and the truck. The spring action in the coil will keep it kind of tight. I think this system is an excellent way to handle a travel trailer, but for a 5th wheel, wouldn't it be better to hardwire it to the trailer and run a cable that could be tie wrapped to the existing cable that plugs into the truck, mounting a separate plug beside the plug for the lights etc.

For those of you that have a backup camera installed, how did you handle that part of the install?

jimtoo

Hi Bob, What you describe as to your idea of plug for the 5th wheel is the way I did mine. Installed camera plug next to plug in bed and tie wraped cords together. Worked good for me.

Catch you at Medina TT again one of these days.

Jim

T

test user

Hi Bob,

I too did as Jim did. Receptacle in the bed for the harness to plug into from the trailer to the truck. Got all the stuff from Tim at RVCams.com.

PM me your phone if you want to chat about it by phone.

Jim

bsnider

BS & Ruth Ann
test user said:
Hi Bob,

I too did as Jim did. Receptacle in the bed for the harness to plug into from the trailer to the truck. Got all the stuff from Tim at RVCams.com.

PM me your phone if you want to chat about it by phone.

Jim

:confused: You don't have the PM turned on. Send me an email bob@bobsmart.com with your phone number

jbeletti

Sorry Bob - I was logged in with my test user account when I replied and failed to notice it. Email with phone # sent. Call when you get a chance.

Jim

bsnider

BS & Ruth Ann
Pictures camera install

I have been trying to figure out what to do with my web site so I have posted some pictures and information on how I installed the camera. Go to http://bobsmart.com and click on RV Travel. Any comments or advice on how I am handling the web site is appreciated. Just send me an email.:D

billd

Bob,

It is looking good. Thanks for the pictures on the backup camera. Glad to hear you can get the cable from the top of the back cap down.

Bill

bsnider

BS & Ruth Ann
DennisZ said:
Bob
Any advise on getting the wire down the rear cap?
Thanks
Dennis

I had it done at the dealers, but I was there the entire time. Keven removed the lights, using a screwdriver to pop them off and then remove the fixtures. This gave him access behind the fiberglass for mounting the camera and also running a straight piece of wire from the center to the side to pull the cable. Then he just dropped the cable down the side and we picked it up after first removing some screws on the bottom. There was more work and effort removing screws to run the cable along the top of the bottom piece then anywhere else.

bsnider

BS & Ruth Ann
need more pictures!!

timk said:
Bob,Where did you put the monitor in your truck?
TimK

I put the mount on the top of the dash and the cables come up from under the dash. When I thought about it, I realized that the monitor is only working when I am hooked up, so I don't need it on the dash when I am just cruising around. I did add some sun shield to the monitor for those bright days.

I'll get busy and put some pictures up on my web site.

bsnider

BS & Ruth Ann
pictures of monitor added

Go back to my web site. I added additional pictures on how I mounted the monitor.

Ron Schoner

Tin Star
Bob how is the camera connected to the tv? Did you have to purchase addition cables for the truck?

Ron

PS you guys are costing me money!!!!!! I just purchased a back-up camera today.

Ron

bsnider

BS & Ruth Ann
package deal

I bought the camera, monitor and all cables as a package from Tim at http://www.rvcams.com/ I would suggest that you call him and get his recommendations, he was very helpful. The one he sold me is no longer in stock.

What I got in the package was the camera, 60 foot cable that connects to the camera and runs to the front of the trailer, another short cable with two plugs for the connection between the trailer and the truck and a 20 foot cable that is run through the truck to a point under the dash. Then the monitor with those short cables that connect as shown in the pictures. You will wire the cables under the dash to a switched 12 volts to provide power for everything.

caissiel

I bought a Din2 LCD TV,GPS,Radio,Video, CD, DVD, Unit that fit in the dash of my truck and mounted a Roof monitor for my GPS screen, and instaled 2 cams to the unit. One is in the rear of the truck low enough to see the trailer tires and the road low, and the other is on the trailer in the back. I am picking up my new 5Th wheel wednesday and surely will install the cam in the back of the new RV. I like the Idea of routing the cables under the unit, might be in the belly pan I guess. I route the cable along the trailer connection and plug it in by the trailer plug.