Mt. Rushmore w/Kitchen Island

Goldenwingers

goldenwingers
We thought we had made our decision to order a Grand Canyon later in the summer, but are now thinking we might like the Mt. Rushmore better. The GC has plenty of storage space in the kitchen, but once we were actually in one we felt a bit crowded or claustrophobic in the kitchen. We are now thinking about the Mt R w/the island, so the kitchen would be open from each end. Looking at the floor plans it appears to have just as much counter space as the GC, but I can't tell about the cabinet space. Of course, I can see some of the differences, one less pantry, more overhead cabinets. So I thought I'd ask you people who might have firsthand knowledge of the Mt R.​

If you have the 10 cu ft fridge w/ice maker do you loose the only ceiling to floor pantry?

How is the storage in the island configured?

Are there power outlets on the island?

Any other feedback would be a great help and appreciated.

Sheri

gawelsh

We have the Mt Rushmore with island - it's perfect ! You're not "trapped" like you are with the Grand Canyon (which was also our first choice until we compared the 2 floorplans). The island has a drawer and a big 2-shelf cabinet underneath....the overall counterspace is very generous. We also have the 10 cf refrig and still have the pull-out pantry....you don't lose that. I highly recommend the Mt R model because it's by far the roomiest !!! Good luck with your purchase !
(Get the dual pane windows - it's well worth it. We also got the
15000 btu heatpump.)

Goldenwingers

goldenwingers
Thanks George & Lindsey, "trapped" is the perfect word for how we felt. You didn't mention if there are power outlets on the island though.

The dual pane windows and 15,000 BTU heat pump are among our list of options, as this will be a full time unit for us.

Thanks again!

ct0218

We have the island option, and we like it. There is one outlet, facing the front end. Easy to add a second one on the other end though, which is what I did.We have the 12 cu ft fridge, and lost the pantry. We miss the pantry, but the fridge is always packed and I don't see how we could get by w/o it.

jbeletti

Hi Sheri,

We have have the Mt. Rushmore floorplan and love it. The walk around capability is great. That said, I was in David and Barbara DeBoer's Grand Canyon with leather chairs and granite counter and loved it too.

Our thinking was that if you're both "kitchen types" (cooking/dishes), then the MR with the island seemed a bit more functional. But for a couple where only one-at-a-time is in the business side of the kitchen, the GC is a beautiful unit.

We have the 10 CU FT refer and we have the long pantry closet next to it. If we upgrade to an '08/'09, I plan to ask Nancy if she minds if we get the 12 CU FT. We are on yet another new diet kick and we're eating a lot of fruit and veggies and that takes up a lot of refer space here at the house.

We "may" miss the long pantry but the cabinets are so deep, we just put junk in them - no real food pantry stuff. Maybe more recent ('07/'08) model years of the MR have slightly altered/more functional pantry next to the refer. We love the pull-out pantry between the stove and the entertainment cabinet/desk.

Like Chuck mentioned, we too have a single AC outlet on the front end of the island. Adding 1 to the opposite end makes sense as well. By the way, when I was at RS for some year-end maintenance in Oct., I had them add an AC outlet in the dinette slide on the side wall near the rear corner. There was already a blank wall plate there and I assumed it was a splice point from the harness under the slide and sure enough it was so no problem for them to add it. Very handy for charging the laptop if you use it while sitting in the chair/sofa in that slide.

Both floorplans are great but we all have our own personal needs. Get a unit ordered and plan to celebrate with us at the rally!

Jim

Goldenwingers

goldenwingers
"We "may" miss the long pantry but the cabinets are so deep, we just put junk in them - no real food pantry stuff."

Jim, if I understand you correctly the pantry beside the fridge is not a slide out, but the one next to the entertainment systems is slide out. That's good to know as I would have assumed exactly the opposite. Approximately how wide is the pantry next to the fridge? We are currently thinking of the 10 cu ft fridge, but if that pantry isn't very usable we might reconsider.

We are also planning to put a small freezer in the w/d area. Right now we think that would be more valuable to us than the w/d while full timing in some of the campgrounds in less populated areas. It's trips into town every couple of days vs. trips to the CG laundry.​

jbeletti

Sheri,

Bear in mind that my unit is a 2005 model. I am uncertain of changes made for 2008. My pantry next to the refer is full height with maybe 3 or 4 doors. I'd say the interior width is about 8". No slide-out wire baskets in my refer side pantry. Here again, this may be different in 2008 units.

Jim

jpmorgan37

Hi Sheri;
Just thought that I would chime in here. We have been full time in our Grand Canyon for a year now (that doesn't seem possible) and absolutely love the kitchen. Sue would not give up her lazy susan and the double pantry along side of the refrigerator (we have the 10 cu ft and no ice maker) in addition the pantry/cabinet along side of the range counter is great. Also, we didn't get the propane oven and have that cabinet space under the stove top. We have two recepticals on either side of the kitchen sink plus one by the window over the range top. Sue loves to cook and we use the kitchen nearly every meal so the Grand Canyon kitchen works well for us. Usually I wash dishes and she dries. She stands outside the kitchen el. We have learned so that we don't crowd each other and it's no problem. Besides, we don't have any plumbing moving in and out with the slide, which I like. Dual Pane windows and two AC's with heat pumps, 3 3/4 in brakes and never lube hubs. It is one great unit.

Last edited:

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Don and Sherri, We have the 2005 MR without the island. This works very well for us. We like the extra room room we have without the island. Our frig is the 12 cubic foot ,side by side with the ice maker.No pantry beside the frig. But we do have storage over the frig. I recommend the ice- maker,front and rear a.c. with heat pump. We also went with the 80 amp/12 volt converter.As Jim said ours is a 2005 and not sure of what options are available. Although we did not get the dual pane windows, if there is a next time,the unit will have them.

Goldenwingers

goldenwingers
Thanks to all for your input. Jim, we had remembered that you had written once before that you wanted an extra outlet beside the table and we asked for one also, as well as one on the driver's side in the storage area, and one next to the DC outlet at the entertainment center. On the MR we would also ask for one at the opposite end of the island.

To all the others that have suggested options, following is the list that we have compiled for either floorplan. Terry & Renee, we didn't see and option for an 80 amp/12 volt converter, did you have that done after-market?

Trail Air Hitch
Remote control Weather Pro awning
Solar panel trickle charger
Ceramic look laminate flooring

UltraLeather recliners
Electric fireplace
26" LCD TV w/swivel bracket
Generator Prep
30" Gas range/oven
10 cu ft Dometic refrigerator w/ice maker
Fantastic fan in bedroom w/rain sensor (hopefully they will install this in the toilet room in place of the standard vent fan. Being short I don't want to have to get a step stool in order to crank up the vent.)
Dual pane windows w/UV protect tint
110v heat strips for holding tanks
15m BTU low profile A/C heat pump
13.5m BTU low profile A/C heat pump in bedroom
Heavy duty brakes

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Goldenwingers said:
Thanks to all for your input. Jim, we had remembered that you had written once before that you wanted an extra outlet beside the table and we asked for one also, as well as one on the driver's side in the storage area, and one next to the DC outlet at the entertainment center. On the MR we would also ask for one at the opposite end of the island.

To all the others that have suggested options, following is the list that we have compiled for either floorplan. Terry & Renee, we didn't see and option for an 80 amp/12 volt converter, did you have that done after-market?

Trail Air Hitch
Remote control Weather Pro awning
Solar panel trickle charger
Ceramic look laminate flooring

UltraLeather recliners
Electric fireplace
26" LCD TV w/swivel bracket
Generator Prep
30" Gas range/oven
10 cu ft Dometic refrigerator w/ice maker
Fantastic fan in bedroom w/rain sensor (hopefully they will install this in the toilet room in place of the standard vent fan. Being short I don't want to have to get a step stool in order to crank up the vent.)
Dual pane windows w/UV protect tint
110v heat strips for holding tanks
15m BTU low profile A/C heat pump
13.5m BTU low profile A/C heat pump in bedroom
Heavy duty brakes
Don,When we purchased our MR,the 80amp/12 volt converter was an option from the factory.

Tom of Ypsi

We have the MR without the island and the 12 cubic foot refer w/icemaker. If you want a real open floor plan that is the way to go. We have had 8 people playing cards and for dinner with no problems. I wanted the island DW said no and the kitchen is hers I just help out.

jbeletti

Hey Tom,

Great example of how personal floor plans really are and how your MR without the island really suits your RV lifestyle. When you have a large dinner, do you setup a folding table in the long open floor space?

Thanks for sharing,

Jim

gawelsh

GOLDENWINGERS - we got everything on your list in our Mt R, except for fireplace, add't bedroom AC and power awning (we had ordered the awning but got talked out of it - still not sure if we'll regret that decision or not). The pull out pantry next to our 10 cf refrig is very functional, with the long "baskets" to hold canned goods, boxes of crackers, etc There's also a large space up top for something not used too often....since we need a one-step ladder to reach up into the back of it. Our '07 model doesn't have a pull out on the living room side, as Jim describes....at least I don't THINK it does (amazing how much you forget in just several weeks of winter :confused: ) We find the 10 cf refrig to be plenty for the 2 of us - but that's an individual choice, depending on how you like to cook & shop on the road.

One more thing - think about the pull out slide in your "basement" storage area - it's very helpful, since that area is so huge!

jpmorgan37

Hi Sheri:
One thing that is not on your list that Sue loves is the central vac. Some people love it and others don't, but something to consider.
John

Tom of Ypsi

Jim,
We did not set up a card table we have a coffee table, the kind that the top lifts and two of us sat there for dinner. We bought that at CW on a clearance and the next week they had the same table different mfr for $150 more than we paid. We are very informal, big pot of chili, plastic knifes, forks, and spoons (they won't let me have sharp objects) and plastic bowls. Most of the time we eat outside but our last campout it was snowing and raining with a 20 mph wind and temps 35 to 40 during the day and mid 20's at night. Still had fun and even though temps are around 0 :( right now I still go visit my MR at least once a week.

Goldenwingers

goldenwingers
George, like the kitchen set up is my mostly my choice, the storage area is mostly Don's and he doesn't seem to be interested in the slide tray. I think he's read too many horror stories about the latches not holding and it sliding out in a turn. We'll probably use some large plastic storage containers that we can reach from the center and pull out.

John, I think I may need to vacuum someones carpet before I make that final decision.:) I had it on our original spec list and then took it off. It's one of those things that seems as though it would be handy, but then I look at the price and think about how many of the upper end stick vacs I can buy for that amount. Would you happen to know what size motor the central vac has? Is it a pain to empty and keep clean?

Sheri

jpmorgan37

Sheri;

I will have to check on the motor size and get back to you. It is very easy to change the bags and with the little beater bar that came on ours, it does a great job on dog hair. I do have to clean the beater bar occasionaly to get Brandy's hair out of it but that is a five minute job.

Don;

With the slide out tray that Heartland put in mine, it comes out either side of the storage area, which is great, and I've never had a problem with the catches coming loose. Being short, I couldn't (and wouldn't) be without it. This is my second coach with a slide out tray. I've had one since 1998 and never had a problem.

John

davebennington

Sheri,

Tell George not to give up on the slide it is a great addition to the coach. We have one and it makes life alot easier on us older people. I have not had any problems with the latch system so far, we use storage totes to keeps items in. You do however lose a little room height wise about 2 to 3 inches with slide.
Happy camping

dave