Traveling the USA with our new BC 3500rl and our kids!

This is my first post since finding this website. We picked up our new 2010 3500rl from Elkhart Indiana in May of 2010 and camped our way home. My wife and I are starting our 1 year tour of the USA with our kids 6 & 9 and our Briard dog begining may 1st 2011. We will pulling the 5th wheel with our 2009 Dodge 3500 Megacab Dually and a 18k superglide hitch! We have only setup the camper a handful of times so there will be lots to learn but with a leave of absence from work we have nothing but time. We will set out from Canton, Georgia and head to the northeast and then along the top of the country then down through Oregon and everything in between. We look forward to this journey with our kids so we can experience all the USA has to offer and really to slow down the rat race for a year to really enjoy some family time!

jimtoo

Hi Lexman1968,

Welcome to the Heartland Owner Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

Sounds like you have really got a exciting year ahead of you. I'm sure you will have a good time and make many great memories with your Big Country. If you have questions or need help, just ask. The Heartland Family is here for you.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Lexman, Welcome to the heartland family & Forum. That's quite a challenge you are undertaking. A year in a trailer with a 6 and a 9 year old. I don't envy you. It will be a good experience though and I expect one that you and your family will cherish the memories for a long time to come. Be sure to take plenty of pictures and or video.
Remember, we're here to assist if you ever have questions regarding the 5th wheel or anything related to RVing. Good Luck & Have Fun!!!

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
:) OH What Fun!!! What a great way to teach the children how great our country is. Enjoy and be safe.
By the way, please keep us informed as ya'll travel.

Flying Dutchman

Virginia Chapter Leaders - Retired
Happy travels Lexman, you are on a journey we hope to start in another year. By the way, you have a great rig:cool:.
Keep us posted as you go.

fljlcw

sounds great dont forget about h.o.t.e.l Heartland owner travel emergency list and when you get to N.M. look us up we will be camphosting at valley of fires camp ground between soccorro and carrizozo N.M. lots to see around the area Fred

A lot of people think we are crazy for doing this with our 2 kids but we have lived 8 hours from any of our family members for the past 16 years, which has helped us grow into a very close knit family. Will we get on each others nerves? for sure! Will we give our children a gift that will last them the rest of their lives? Absolutely! I look at it as taking a year of my retirement early so I can enjoy it with my family. There are not to many gifts you can give your kids that they will remeber the rest of their lives!