Advice needed for prospective 3650 owner: pad size

We like to camp in local state campgrounds a lot. When using the online reservation system, the number of sites available drops off if I select a trailer size of 40'. However, if I look at the pad size, it seems like a 16x49' pad should support the 39'6" of the 3650.

Is the reservation system being too conservative? Maybe they want to make sure the trailer and truck can both fit length wise on a site? Most sites have room to pull the truck off to the side. How worried should I be? And what size site should I be looking at practically speaking? Thanks! Lance

jdfishing

My experience with state campgrounds, in the west anyway, is that they are pretty close on their measurments. If they say a site is 35', your trailer, from front to rear better be 35' or less. Most of the ones I've been in usually give the width also, which usually is not wide enough to park your tow vehicle. Private campgrounds are usually more leinent on their measurments. Based on the measurments you give, you should have no problem fitting your trailer in the site, and the tow vehicle might fit if you angle it in, but it will be close. That's a lot of trailer you've got there.

So here is an example where they claim this site will support a 35' trailer but not a 40':

SITE DIMENSIONS ARE 85X45 AND PAD SIZE 40X22.

Now please keep in mind that there is nothing at the end of the pad and I should be able to tuck it back in there a few more feet. Assuming I can actually back into the spot (another concern w.r.t turning radius), the trailer should fit okay, right?

While I cannot find any real width measurements with slides out, I am figuring 8' base + 3' slide + 2' slide. WDYT? Thanks a ton! L

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Many campgrounds give the measurement for a tow behind trailer. A 5th wheel obviously has 3-4ft of length up over the bed. so a 38' 5th really has a smaller footprint on the ground than the same size travel trailer. I have cheated on length 3 or 4 feet and usually I am able to get in. However, I must back my truck all the way up under the 5th wheel when I return for the day. I would recommend staying at a place you know you can get into, then go scout other state parks etc. for future reference.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
So here is an example where they claim this site will support a 35' trailer but not a 40':

Now please keep in mind that there is nothing at the end of the pad and I should be able to tuck it back in there a few more feet. Assuming I can actually back into the spot (another concern w.r.t turning radius), the trailer should fit okay, right?

While I cannot find any real width measurements with slides out, I am figuring 8' base + 3' slide + 2' slide. WDYT? Thanks a ton! L

Lance, I don't think you'll have any problems with a site that size. As long as there's room behind the rig, you can extend over the length of the pad and if necessary go as far back as you need to so your tires are still on the pad. Unless it's a heavily wooded site, you shouldn't have any issues with the slide outs. On shorter sites, you may have to park the truck along side the front of the trailer. I normally don't use state parks because of non resident entry fees. I try COE parks as often as I can and have never had a problem with a site being too small.

caissiel

I also cheat on the lenght because of the 5th wheel front hitch being different from TT's
I say 35ft and not 38ft.
But I have a long wheel base truck and it makes it 5 ft difference.
My neighbour has a 31ft TT with CC long WB F350, and he has more Bumper to Bumper lenght then I have.