Bought the wrong floorplan!

albertr

We bought a new 29mk last August. I have a back problem. The bed height has become quite an issue. I have a problem that most older guys have in that I get up a few times each night. Wondering what my options are. I have thought of trading for a different floor plan but I would probably lose a lot on the trade. Build a 12 inch high platform.....Any suggestions? Thanks...Al

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Sounds like the best foot forward would be to either build that 12 inch platform or take it a step further and rebuild the entire bed frame. There is not all that much to it and would most likely be a much more robust way to go. Do a search on this forum for bed rebuilds and you should find some owners that have converted their king size bed to a queen size bed. They have some really good pics of the entire process that should help you see what you would be getting into.

Good luck,
Mark

caissiel

If it was me I would get the best mattress for my back and build the bed frame to suit the mattress.
When we bought our BC I had a sore back for the first week and just gave the mattress away and bought what was good for us.
I modified the bed frame to fit the new queen size mattress and we have never turned back.
We also did the same thing to our previous trailer going from queen to double to suit the lenght.

The bed frame can be taken down and modified without changing any decore. You might want to lower the headboard frame if there is one.

Birchwood

I reduced the width of our bedframe by 4 inches and cut the plywood top to 54 inches to accomodate a queen mattress.We like the extra room at the
sides of the bed and can now use a real mattress.The size and weight of a real king mattress is high. I could have only reduced the height of our bed by 4 inches because of the front box the frame sits on.Yours may be the same.Good luck

branson4020

Icantre Member
More expensive option than just raising the platform, but you could just put a 8" or 12" memory foam pad on top of the existing matress.

GOTTOYS

The right mattress would be way less expensive than a new trailer..that might still need a new mattress.. Some of the new mattresses are so thick you almost need a ladder to get into the bed....After you find the right one you can adjust the height of the frame to work for you. The whole project is a pretty simple fix....Good luck..Don

jpajax

If it just the height you can buy a box spring and put under the mattress.

Last edited:

2010augusta

Is the bed too tall or too short??? Please see the link below for my RV king to Std queen conversion, it has lots of pics of the structure.

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/17569-King-to-Queen-bed-again-(Hydraulic-slide-bedroom)