Winter Driving?

traveler44

We have never had to drive on snow or ice slickened hwy. while towing a fifth wheel before. If we were to encounter a slick stretch are there any tricks or rules to follow for better traction besides slowing down? Does 4wheel drive help? Do you increase the braking on the trailer slightly-etc.-? We are hoping to get a chance to head south yet this winter. Tom and Mary

jnbhobe

Tom; I would definatly use 4X4 and take it slow don't get yourself into a bad braking situation. Don't get the brakes to come on too quick it may cause the trailer to slide too much. I pull trailers all the time in our weather here just take it easy.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Increase your following distance and stay off th breaks. Be very careful changing lanes and don't make any sudden turns. Just slw and easy. Michael

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
You do NOT want more trailer brake.

Any axle that locks up is the one that wants to lead in a skid. This holds true on any pavement surface, dry wet or icy.

If your steer axle locks up you slide straight and can't steer.

If your drive (rear) tires on the truck lock up you jack knife and the truck slides backwards while the trailer tries to go straight and pushes your truck backwards down the road.

If the trailer brakes lock up. The back of the trailer whips around and will violently whip the truck around backwards until the whole rig is going backwards.

I learned this doing skid pad training with a tractor trailer. You can duplicate this with a toy tractor and trailer using tape to lock up the wheels and witness the action. It's a real eye opener.

grizzlygiant

All good advise above. We travel on snow & ice often.
*4x4 definitely
*Avoid locking wheels --tap, tap, tap brakes; do not stomp. Immediately release if wheel skids; tap, tap, tap
*Go slow
*Pull over and wait it out if it is bad
*Pray

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
And remember the rule for steering in a skid...turn the steering wheel in the direction you want the front of the vehicle to go. I.E. if you are skidding to the left and you want the front of the vehicle to go to the right then steer to the right, but be prepared to counter steer if the front starts whipping back because you steered too much. Takes alot of practice. If you want to practice find a large empty parking lot when it is raining and put down some soap and then have fun skidding.

jnbhobe

And remember the rule for steering in a skid...turn the steering wheel in the direction you want the front of the vehicle to go. I.E. if you are skidding to the left and you want the front of the vehicle to go to the right then steer to the right, but be prepared to counter steer if the front starts whipping back because you steered too much. Takes alot of practice. If you want to practice find a large empty parking lot when it is raining and put down some soap and then have fun skidding.

I don't want to try that with a 5er in tow:eek::eek:

GOTTOYS

I had the skid pad training also for semi driving. It was pretty cool, take away the power if you feel it starting to go, push in the clutch or shift to neutral. Steer and hang on. Never use your exhaust brake or downshift to help slow down if it is slippery. Any change or resistance to the drive wheels can start a skid. It was cool getting the tractor stopped, then looking in the mirrors to watch the trailer still going sideways toward you while swiveling on the hitch....Clean shorts anybody??... Rule #1: If the roads get bad, find a place to stop and wait it out. Rule #2: See rule #1.....Don

traveler44

Thanks All! Some real great advice here. Sounds like some of you have been there and done that. I'm in no hurry to become a veteran ice trucker but just in case it is nice to learn these things. Seems like I can always count on you guys for help. Tom M.

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
Skid pad is a lot of fun. They do have safety chains to limit how far the trailer can come around. IIRC 15* is about the point of no return once the trailer comes around, after that you're just along for the ride.

Thanks All! Some real great advice here. Sounds like some of you have been there and done that. I'm in no hurry to become a veteran ice trucker but just in case it is nice to learn these things. Seems like I can always count on you guys for help. Tom M.

Ice road trucking is the only reason you actually need to be on the ice with a camper. Sure, you'll get an occasional surprise by a slick spot that wasn't cleaned up well or caused by blowing snow.

Beyond that, shut down and wait until it's cleaned up. I do the same. There is no load so hot that it won't cool off in a ditch.

IMG00056.jpg