Anyone using the Northern Hydraulics Auxiliary Fuel Tank and RDS install kit?

lduguay

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
We are preparing for our new "baby".....a BC 3250TS that is currently in the "build" lineup at Heartland.

We have a 2003 Chev 2500HD CC SRW 6.6 D/A.......being new to towing, the frequents stops in unfamiliar territory is something I want to avoid.

I am reading very positive reviews on the Northern Hydraulics RDS Auxiliary Fuel Tank — 37-Gallon Capacity, Model# 71804 and the RDS Diesel Install Kit for Auxiliary Diesel Fuel Tank — Fits Chevy/GMC Trucks thru 2010, Model# 011029.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200306747_200306747

A local hitch company that does installs asked about DOT issues with this setup vs. some of the electronic and very expensive systems available (that he sells & installs)......the 2 questions:

1. Cut of valve? (I read that it is a manual on/off so think this is just a "procedure" issue.)

2. Roll over? Will it hold the fuel?

Do we have a valid concern with Insurance and DOT's with a setup like this.....We do want to be safe!! Would love input from whoever is using this setup as well as recommendations!!

driver311

i have this tank in my truck . have used it for 6 years. have moved it in to 3 trucks. works very well

driver311

mountain1

I have a Northern Tool 80 galloon tank gravity flow with a manual shut off and love the thing. I fill up with 118 galloons of fuel and away I go. The people that install hitches here put it in.

The only thing I would change is either a tank with a built in tool box or the kind that are L shaped and you can put a tool box on the lower leg of the L.

caokgafamily

I have the 60 gal fuel/tool RDS combo installed in my 250. We love it! I installed it myself, I took a sawsall and cut the filler neck and added the T.

We can drive over 800 miles before we refuel!
Steve

caissiel

The Northern tool tank is for Diesel only and the setup is completely DOT approved.
For me its the best setup available for our needs. I have one similar setup for the past 16 years.
If you put in a transfer pump or a direct feed to the truck fuel system you need approval or a licenced installer.

davebennington

We have a RDS combo 60 gal tank, it is plumbed to a shutoff switch and a fuel pump that is plumbed to the filler pipe of the truck. Works great I installed myself.

Dave

PUG

Pug
I looked at all the tanks and decided to build my own. Wouldn't do that again. I ended up with about the same money in it as if I had purchased. I went with the RDS "t" gravity fed into the fuel filler hose. It was an easy install. I cut the rubber filler hose, removed about 3/4 inch, put T in with inlet to the top side, and fed line up through the bed to the tank. I had put a manual shut off valve in tank so I can either turn it on when I want or just let it flow naturally. Works very well. The tank I built is 34 gallon and slipped in under my toolbox. If you go toolbox go with a combo toolbox tank. The RDS kit is made to stop flowing fuel when the tank if full and is supposed to not leak if the truck is rolled over. I didn't test that, yet... I put in two extra threaded ports into the tank at top and bottom and installed a clear 1/2 hose so I can see the fuel level, works great. Any tank you buy should be baffled inside. I put a filler port in the top of my tank that sticks up into the bottom of my toolbox (cut 3 inch hole in bottom of toolbox). This hides the filler tube when the toolbox is shut. Cap is a venting cap so the tank can siphon. No steel tanks, they will eventually rust out. My tank like others you purchase is 1/8 inch alum. I would look as local as you can for someone that builds them and look at their product, saving shipping fees.

dewwood

Most Tractor Supply's or Rural King's or similar farm supply stores sell about the same tank. If you want to look at it before you buy that might be an option. I am not sure if they have them that small but they handle larger ones. I am sure they could order the smaller one. I bought a 77 gal with toolbox an put a 12V transfer pump on it. With it set up that way it is easy to take it out of the truck when not needed and last summer when fuel was around $2.70 I hauled about 450 gal home to use when I need it. I do have to manually pump the fuel into the OEM tank but has not been a problem and I like being able to remove tank from truck as I use the truck for other things.

I just purchased the 80 gallon version. I have mounted the tank and will soon do the filler neck install. Like caissiel said they are DOT approved for Diesel fuel.

PUG - Could I get a picture of the fuel level setup with the clear hose?

jnbhobe

I have the 37gal tank I pump mine in but the next one will be gravity.I also have an stc soloniod shut off.

lduguay

I DID IT......I bought the 60 gal combo tonight.....yep, I upgraded!!....this model was "in stock" so didn't have to pay $100 in shipping charges for the 37gal...., so I went with the combo....more space to store "stuff"!!

THE QUESTION: What method did you "self installers" use to attach the tank to truck bed? Self tap or nut/bolt? The gravity kit looks like a "simple" install....instructions are a picture.....I am open to any suggestions or "mistakes" to avoid......I will find out how "simple" the install is this weekend!!

NathanB

I just put in the northern tool 60 gallon combo with the gravity feed. Works great. Only issue I see is my fuel gauge in my truck quite working. Any ideas how to remedy this problem? Thanks.. 2009 Chevy duramax crew cab ltz 3/4

Speedy

What do you mean quit working. No longer reads at all? I have noticed that on mine it takes several minutes for it to reread or reset when I refuel and that is with or without the aux tank. I plumbed in a fuel pump to mine and now have a switch in the cab that controls the pump; so I can refuel while traveling. The gauge takes a while to start moving but after 30 minutes I have a full tank again.

Try turning off the truck and restarting and see where the gauge reads then.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Yep, I do have suggestions. If you turn on the tank and it continues to keep the OEM tank full, the computer doesn't like it. It does not know what is going on so it just says I quit.
What you need to do is keep the aux tank off till you get down to about a quarter in the OEM tank.
Also, if you stop for fuel and leave the truck run it doesn't know that you filled it and will not show full.
Both situations well self remedy in time or by turning the key off.

Peace
Dave
Dave

lduguay

Hey Nathan,

Cookie is right. I have had my RDS tank for a year now and when I top off both OEM and RDS tanks, $$$$$$, leaving my gravity feed open, the computer will occasionally, not always, shut the fuel gauge down (reads empty). When that happens, I flip my gravity feed lever to off and when the computer starts to read a "drain" the gauge starts working again.

I DO love the extra fuel capacity!!!!

NathanB

When I say it quits working the gauge goes to empty.. I guess I will need to shut tank off to remedy this. How do I install a fuel pump to transfer the fuel on the go? ANd what type of pump will I need? Thanks for all your help..

lduguay

Nathan,

In the last year, my fuel gauge has quit working maybe 3 times.......I usually leave the RDS open and do my fillups into the RDS tank. The rare times the gauge shuts down i close the tank valve and gauge begins working later.....not a big deal or hassel. My TV is my daily driver.....I haven't considered the expense of the aux pump.....JMHO :cool:

Lance