2nd A/C in Cyclone garage question

timbuktu

Here's a question for the factory...I would put it in the Ask the Factory thread but since I don't own a Heartland yet, I was prompted to put my question here.

We are hashing out all the options we want for our 2011 Cyclone 3950 HD and will be ordering soon. I checked with the dealer who contacted their Heartland rep who they said they could put the 2nd A/C in the garage vice the bedroom. I'm thinking the garage would be a great place to put it since we will be using it as a second living area. As I understand it from other Cyclone owners, the A/C vent locations in the garage are minimally effective when the bunks are up. So my question is that with the A/C in the garage, when the bunks are in the up position, will there be any air flow from the A/C or will it be choked off? Is it worth getting the 2nd A/C installed in the garage? Thanks!

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Re: 2nd A/C question

Most 2nd A/C's are not ducted. There should not be any restrictions with the main A/C unit.

ncrebel8

Wesley and Niki Norwood

timbuktu, I think I understand what you are asking but I am not sure. You are asking if the beds in the cyclone garage block off the main A/C vents when they are in the "up" (stored) position. Therefore stopping the main A/C from cooling the garage area effectively, which you will be using as a 2nd living area. Correct?

timbuktu

Sorry I didn't articulate my question very well. Sort of. With the main a/c vents blocked off by the beds in the up position, if I put the second a/c in the garage, would they block off the airflow from the second a/c too? (I understand the 2nd a/c is not centrally vented like the main). I asked this question to my dealer, and he responded in the affirmative. So if I want to put the second a/c in the garage, in order for it to be effective, I would need to have the bunks lowered or removed.

ncrebel8

Wesley and Niki Norwood

No, your dealer is wrong.
The second A/C would most likely be a non ducted unit. It would blow air straight into the garage. The ductwork would not be disturbed. Unless they are pricing you a ducted A/C to put in the garage which would require some pretty extensive work to correctly tie it into the ductwork, and have both units work properly.

timbuktu

I understand the 2nd a/c is not centrally vented like the main.QUOTE]

I think you misread my post. The second a/c is NOT centrally vented (ducted). However, it's location will be directly above the bunks. And with the bunks raised, it would cut off the airflow from the 2nd a/c in addition to the a/c vents from the centrally ducted main a/c since those vents are also directly above the bunks. Therefore, in order for the 2nd a/c to be effective, I would need to have the bunks lowered.

ncrebel8

Wesley and Niki Norwood

ahhhhh, now i understand. And i have no idea how to help you with that situation.

timbuktu

Lol. It's okay. I mentioned earlier I talked to the dealer and got an answer. Now I just have to decide if I'm okay with putting the a/c back there. Thanks for attempting to answer my question!

Stinger381

Is the rear vent pre-wired for an AC Unit or is that something they will do from the factory ??? I don't have a toy hauler but I'm about to add the second AC to my 5ver because the 15K main ducted unit won't cool the whole trailer easily.

Vtxkid

No, the rear vents are not pre-wired for a A/C unit but if you are ordering your unit from the factory then they should be able to take care of that with no problem...