Furnace igniter

My Suburban furnace igniter turns on by itself even though the thermostat is turn off. The only way to stop it is to pull the 12 volt fuse.Looking for possible cause.
Thanks
l curtis

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
It's a guess but it could be a thermostat problem. My first move would be to pull the cover off the t'stat and ID the wire locations. Disconnect the wires and see if it still tries to ignite. IF that didn't work for me, a call to someone with RV furnace experience would be next.

SmokeyBare

If the thermostat doesn't solve the problem, there could be a remote chance that the wires are making contact some place between the thermostat and the furnace. I believe if you short or cross the wires together the furnace would run. Touching the wires together should be doing the same job as the thermostate would do when it calls for heat.

Marv

danemayer

I was having a problem with the thermostat reading wrong. Dometic sent a new thermostat and a relay box. The thermostat triggers the relay box which in turn operates the furnace. On my Rushmore, the relay box is accessed inside the main A/C unit, by removing the filter cover. The relay box has several connectors. If one is loose, or a wire in one of the connectors is loose, you could have intermittent control operation. You might want to check for loose wires at the thermostat.