Things people do to save on gas

caissiel

I wish I would have had a camara yesterday when I saw this Toyota Prius parked at Advance Auto Parts in Homossasa Springs yesterday.

The car had a 1500 watt powerplant attached to the rear of the car. There was a cord attached that I think was used to charge the batteries of the Prius. It was not on a trailer hitch but fasten permanently with bars to the frame.

It came to me that its much cheaper to run a small power plant to charge the batteries on a 15amp fuse then running the motor.

The power plant was similar to mine I use to charge the RV batteries when we are not on Power.

dewwood

Let me see if I understand this. You hook up a GAS powered generator to power your electric car so that you can save energy. I guess it would extend your mileage range.

caissiel

It appears he is doing just that running the 2.5 HP engine to extend the range while the over 100 HP engine is off.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
I'd call that setup as someone being cheap with no class considering the total cost. His car engine at idle can't be much over 10 hp.

Willym

Maybe it was a Honda generator. Putting a Honda engine on a Toyota is a definite improvement.